PBP UFC 270: Ngannou vs. Gane - Main Card PBP Discussion: 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hard to not give him credit for winning in such a way that NO ONE anticipated.
Not only for taking him to the ground so many times, but also for having the stamina to keep doing it.
After how gassed Ngannou was looking after the first couple of tie-ups/takedowns/ground action, I was expecting it to be the beginning of the end for him and I was even more confident with every additional takedown that followed.
I was sure with each takedown that Gnannou to be closer to eventually hitting a wall from exhaustion and being taken out, but he definitely surprised me, and seems it surprised everyone else too.

As sloppy a fight as it was, Props to Ngannou.

Did you quote the wrong post?

MMA Francis wins
Boxing he won't win.

Don't even really see the appeal either, just strange for people to say he might do good. I think he is too old to cross over at this point.
lol still positing imaginary outcomes, bum

I just don't know why people finding this fight disappointing. I was excited throughout the whole fight. It's like a story from fairy tale folding on in front of my own eye. We were all witnessing something we never thought we would in our wildest imagination. That rush, that excitement was too much for me that I never even bothered about the pace of the fight.

He'll have to wait until 2023 at the very least. And the UFC will likely fight him. I think probably they do a co-promotion. The UFC doesn't want to set a bad precedent for them and they have a TON of lawyers and all that behind them.
If the UFC doesnt want to send a bad precedence they should pay their fighters. If the UFC payed the fighters like the shiuld, Maybe these guys wouldn't go and disgrace their reputation and the ufc brand for a payday.
The UFC president should also learn how respect the fighters in his organization. Why was the petty piece not in the octagon to present the championship belt as the traditional exp

If the UFC payed the fighters like the shiuld

What financial details are you aware of that you can determine what fighters "should" be paid in the UFC?

Other than making a short-lived run at a few "celebrity" boxing matches which do nothing at all for your real fight resume, UFC is the only game in town.

Sure the money is tempting, but anyone choosing that route will never be considered seriously again, and will never be able to get back into UFC too easily.

Dana has already explained it.
UFC is the best established entity in the game with a huge roster of fighters and events.
They can't go throwing millions at every fighter that gains a belt.

Anyone serious about fighting MMA knows the way to bank is to gain a title and try to hold it long-term.

So far, everyone who has tried to threaten parting with the UFC to leverage their payday has faded away and seriously depreciated their stock.

What financial details are you aware of that you can determine what fighters "should" be paid in the UFC?

Other than making a short-lived run at a few "celebrity" boxing matches which do nothing at all for your real fight resume, UFC is the only game in town.

Sure the money is tempting, but anyone choosing that route will never be considered seriously again, and will never be able to get back into UFC too easily.

UFC is the best established entity in the game with a huge roster of fighters and events.

Anyone serious about fighting MMA knows the way to bank is to gain a title and try to hold it long-term.

So far, everyone who has tried to threaten parting with the UFC to leverage their payday has faded away and seriously depreciated their stock.
Man stop with the corporate shilling. You'll understand how much Francis is worth when that boxing match Fury is set up.

Man stop with the corporate shilling. You'll understand how much Francis is worth when that boxing match Fury is set up.

I definitely do.... and I wouldn't blame him for taking it... but his career as a professional top-tier MMA fighter will likely be over, just like everyone else that has done it so far.

To each their own, but it comes down to a choice between their legacy and their bank account.

I definitely do.... and I wouldn't blame him for taking it... but his career as a professional top-tier MMA fighter will likely be over, just like everyone else that has done it so far.

To each their own, but it comes down to a choice between their legacy and their bank account.
Legacy?
mjlol.png

"legacy don't pay the bills" - floyd mayweather jr.

It's called prize fighting NOT pride fighting.

We know what the revenue split is because of the disclosures from the anti-trust trial.

UFC is paying about 15% of revenue to fighters, and that's inflated by counting drug testing and fight kits and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff as perks.

We also know from the Endeavor IPO, that the UFC is treating fighter pay as a fixed cost going into the future despite revenues increasing to record levels in each of the past several years.

A boxing promoter would literally go to jail for paying that little to fighters.

Dana constantly compares to the UFC to major sports leagues, so by that metric, it should be at least 50% of revenue to the fighters.

Legacy?
mjlol.png

"legacy don't pay the bills" - floyd mayweather jr.

I get it man.... I just think he has continually evolved as a fighter enough, relative to when he arrived, to where I would like to see him continue a little further in the UFC and solidify his career fa little further.

Why end his professional career so prematurely when he can easily achieve both?

His opportunity to bank from "celebrity" fights is not going anywhere anytime soon.

I get it man.... I just think he has continually evolved as a fighter enough, relative to when he arrived, to where I would like to see him continue a little further in the UFC and solidify his career fa little further.

Why end his professional career so prematurely when he can easily achieve both?

His opportunity to bank from "celebrity" fights is not going anywhere anytime soon.
He's 35 years old, he doesn't have time to fuck around. Combat sports is a young man's game. The Window to make bank for these guys is very shot and they'll be foolish to waste it.

We know what the revenue split is because of the disclosures from the anti-trust trial.

UFC is paying about 15% of revenue to fighters, and that's inflated by counting drug testing and fight kits and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff as perks.

We also know from the Endeavor IPO, that the UFC is treating fighter pay as a fixed cost going into the future despite revenues increasing to record levels in each of the past several years.

A boxing promoter would literally go to jail for paying that little to fighters.

Dana constantly compares to the UFC to major sports leagues, so by that metric, it should be at least 50% of revenue to the fighters.

Dana is free to structure the organization as he sees fit.

You can't compare individual promoters to a huge organization like UFC.

No one is forcing fighters to sign a contract with UFC.

They are free to fight somewhere else if they choose.

Yet they don't because UFC is by far the dominant player in the game and is getting bigger and bigger every year, and it's because they are continually reinvesting in their brand and their infrastructure, and doing it very successfully.

It what other situation does one man tell another man how they should structure their earnings and what they should pay those they contract with?

The boxing thing is just a power play to get more money out of the contract negotiations. He's strong and fast he doesn't have the cardio for boxing.

The boxing thing is just a power play to get more money out of the contract negotiations. He's strong and fast he doesn't have the cardio for boxing.
I think Dana has made it ABUNDANTLY clear he doesn't play that game, and for good reasons.
Once he gives in to one fighter's demands it's all over.
Dana has all the leverage because he understands the reality is that most fighters are a flash-in-the-pan, and that the vast majority of championship reigns are short lived in MMA, and that he has a never-ending list of fighters ready to be the next big thing.
Not like boxing where you can much easier retain a title for multiple years.

Last edited:
I think Dana has made it ABUNDANTLY clear he doesn't play that game, and for good reasons.
Once he gives in to one fighter's demands it's all over.
Dana has all the leverage because he understands the reality is that most fighters are a flash-in-the-pan, and that the vast majority of championship reigns are short lived in MMA, and that he has a never-ending list of fighters ready to be the next big thing.
Not like boxing where you can much easier retain a title for multiple years.

Whatever the case he deserves to paid more as HW Champ. He only got paid 600k for this fight and has had to take out loans to pay his team

Whatever the case he deserves to paid more as HW Champ. He only got paid 600k for this fight and has had to take out loans to pay his team
ONLY 600K?

600K that he agreed to?

It sounds to me that after 15 UFC fights where he knows before hand what his take will be, he should be able to manage his money better.

Much less Dana's problem than the people he has surrounding him I'm sure.

Show me his itemized expenses and I will show you what the real problem is.

ONLY 600K?

600K that he agreed to?

It sounds to me that after 15 UFC fights where he knows before hand what his take will be, he should be able to manage his money better.

Much less Dana's problem than the people he has surrounding him I'm sure.

Show me his itemized expenses and I will show you what the real problem is.
He's a grown ass man, no one should tell him how to spend his hard earned money. He has a great team of trainers and the best coach in Nicksick. 600K is a lot of money to you and me. But for the UFC HW Champ and the official baddest man on the planet - maybe not so much.

UFC is a business, and it is in the best interest of any business to structure itself in a way that is financially favorable towards being profitable, sustainable, and to be able to have the financial resources on hand to expand through promotion and strategic re-investments.

As Dana put it,
"This isn't a career, this is an opportunity"...

For most, likely only a very short-term opportunity to make a name for yourself.
The rest is up to you.
Some will go on to profit further from building on the recognition and some will not.
600K is enough for some, not enough for others.
If you don't think it's enough don't sign the contract.
Is it Dana's fault he has ZERO other income between fights?
I don't recall any previous HW champs claiming they couldn't make it through a camp without taking a loan out.
It wasn't too long ago that Ngannou was sleeping on a dirt floor..... now well over half a million dollars is not enough for a one fight camp......smh

Financial mismanagement at it's finest...

Back