UFC 264: Kevin Lee vs Sean Brady, why no hype?

I still think that Lee has a lot of upside, and his performance against Oliveira isn't that bad in hindsight.

I’ve mostly thrown in the towel on the idea of Lee upside. His profile of strengths and weaknesses just doesn’t mix well IMO. If you’re going to have a subpar gas tank you, want to have a great chance to stop guys early like Francis or McGregor. If you’re a wrestler, you want to be able to do what Gillespie did CDF. When Lee has a tough first round like that he’s got big problems, RDA fight being a perfect example.

His striking still isn’t fluid at all. Headkick KO was great but he’s always had a good headkick. Boxing isn’t good.

It’s funny, I remember when he was checking out new gyms, and Rogan just starts blathering away like he tends to do, putting forward an opinion he gave 5 seconds of thought to, which in this case was that he really needed to go to Firas because Georges (I really don’t see much of a comparison). It’s funny because at the time I immediately thought of Whitman over Firas because what Lee needs is to really drill down as far as I can tell is footwork and striking with a little fluidity and economy of movement. Since that time I think Whittman has become to de facto top coach in U.S. MMA, and Usman is the perfect example of what the guy can do.

Kevin Lee takes this, IMO. Brady's gonna have a horrible time taking him down, Lee has some of the best take downs in LW history (although I see now this fight is at WW). Lee's standup is superior, and Lee's cardio is more than sufficient to win at least 2 out of 3 rounds. Also, his top control game is one of the most dominant in MMA. DO NOT GIVE THAT MAN YOUR BACK!

We'll see how he looks after the layoff and at WW again, but he's the proven commodity for me. If Brady can win this he's got my attention, that's for sure.

This match up is one of many great fights on the UFC 264. This is a phenomenal fight, but no one is talking about this fight at all. Wtf.

Sean Brady is 14-0 (4-0 UFC), and Kevin Lee is just coming off a great ko win against Gregor who looked phenomenal in his last fight. Well I stand corrected, he fought Oliveira who's a current LW champ after that.

I am on Brady bandwaggon, I think he can be top 5 at least and I don't like Kevin Lee, but this is very interesting fight because

Kevin Lee has 5 inch reach advantage. That can be a significant reach advantage, especially in a fight between two plodding wrestler/grapplers.

And Sean Brady's pretty complete fighter, but his go to is his suffocating top game, but I happen to think, cardio permitting, Kevin Lee can outwrestle Sean Brady. I think Kevin is a better wrestler of the two. Brady tend to just power through people, but Kevin Lee should be a better wrestler of the two.

This is a very very interesting fight. I personally think though Brady is undefeated welterweight, and Kevin Lee is Kevin Lee, Kevin Lee is a tough match up for Brady, only because styles make fights.

At the end of the day, Kevin Lee often finds a way to snatch the defeat out of the jaws of victory, and Sean Brady finds a way to win, so I'd favour Brady, but if you ask me, I personally think Brady has much easier match up than Kevin Lee at top 5 and top 10. I mean Chiesa is top 6 for fuck's sake, whom Kevin Lee has a submission win over.

Being on Brady bandwaggon, I wish Brady took on a different fight. I really think unless Kevin Lee once again finds a way to lose, he is more than capable of upsetting unbeaten welterweight in Brady. But Kevin Lee never fails to underperform and give away wins and find a way to lose....so we will see...
I'm hyped for this fight. I think Kevin Lee will do great at welterweight.

It's a good fight, but it's tough to see how Lee can win this.

Huh on paper Lee wins this. If Lee doesn't find a way to lose like he almost always does in big fights, I think he has everything to win.

The irony of this fight is, the question is, is this a big fight? lol

This is the time Brady needs to make a statement. Been on his wagon for a couple/few fights now. He is gonna close the distance and pressure the hell out of FKL, eventually get some smothering on top, and hopefully find the neck before the final bell.

The dude has nasty front headlock finishes and is very Khabib’esque with his offensive smothering/pounding/passing/sub-hunting

Brady will smash him. I dont understand what the fuck Lee is doing taking this fight. The guy does himself n favors at all. Brady is bigger and stronger. Lee is going to shoot for a take down in round 3 and get guillotined.

Huh on paper Lee wins this. If Lee doesn't find a way to lose like he almost always does in big fights, I think he has everything to win.

Why does he win on paper? Brady has looked like a top prospect. He lost maybe one round in his past 3 fights. He looks solid everywhere. He is young and he is hungry. He is a -175 favorite for a reason.

Kevin Lee is just coming off a great ko win against Gregor
Nope.. he is coming of a loss to Charles Oliveira and is 1-3 in his last 4. That is why nobody is hyped to see him anymore.

I have Brady on this one.

i always look forward to a Kevin Lee fight.

for whatever reason im always rooting for him.

people talk shit bout his stanky leg but i though it was an incredible recovery after a huge kick to the dome

Sean should keep this fight in boxing range, and apply forward pressure constantly.

Didn’t read the thread but it’s because most ppl don’t know who Sean Brady is and a lot of Kevin Lees fans are shopworn from his inconsistencies. So for most it’s basically an indifference at this point.

Lee could look like a world beater in this fight and look like he doesn’t belong the next. Lee needs to go on a 3 fight winning streak to get some real attention at this point.
Does he have all the physical tools? Yes.
Can he do it? Time will tell. I hope so.

This comment doesn't add up. On paper he has shit cardio, sub par boxing and no heart when facing adversity. It's been proven on more than one occasion. You said it yourself, history show he folds in big fights. That's all on paper.

{<huh}

Back