News UFC 249 cancelled. [Update] Dana still wants to do "fighter island."

I dunno why so many bitches in here celebrating.

Get the fuck off of Sherdog.

This is a place for fight fans.
This is what is infuriating about this forum. “MMA fans” revelling in bad news.

I'm so annoyed, I was enjoying my lunch, then saw the bad news break

7yHu.gif
lol bro.!

That cat GIF is the closest thing to the cat suddenly being told some bad news and it's like ..."Errrrr WTF you saying?!?!!?"
amusing.

What exactly is fighter island, and what is its purpose ?
Is it a place they can hold fights, when the need to escape regulation and laws ?

Not even close. Many cultures understand this specially the Japanese

Perhaps you should do some research about her, her corruption, how she and her husband has become filthy rich while being a Senator for California for decades before you say we should respect her for being older than us.

Oh, and its not just her, the Governor of California didn't make his schemes public, he called up Disney execs.

And don't fall for the 'called and expressed his concerns' line, that's not how politics work behind the scenes.

That is def untrue,you can tell in that interview w okamoto,he is inwardly fuming that they put the kabosh on his plans
It is definitely true. Dana is playing you all for fools. He is smarter than you give him credit for.

He knew it could not realistically go ahead but wanted someone above him to make the decision. That's why he went through this wacky pretense with private islands etc. Guaranteed to get negative publicity.

There will be a lot of money lost due to the cancellation of these events, penalties will have to be paid to broadcasters, staff will have to be paid, claims will be made to insurance companies etc. Dana is making sure the shit rolls uphill

It is definitely true. Dana is playing you all for fools. He is smarter than you give him credit for.

He knew it could not realistically go ahead but wanted someone above him to make the decision. That's why he went through this wacky pretense with private islands etc. Guaranteed to get negative publicity.

There will be a lot of money lost due to the cancellation of these events, penalties will have to be paid to broadcasters, staff will have to be paid, claims will be made to insurance companies etc. Dana is making sure the shit rolls uphill
Nah I cant believe it. Dana is like vince mcmahon who actually managed to get wrestlemania done.

'we will never cancel blablabla'
Lol bush league.

Perhaps you should do some research about her, her corruption, how she and her husband has become filthy rich while being a Senator for California for decades before you say we should respect her for being older than us.

Oh, and its not just her, the Governor of California didn't make his schemes public, he called up Disney execs.

And don't fall for the 'called and expressed his concerns' line, that's not how politics work behind the scenes.

See that was just stupid. I could have predicted that was gonna happen trying to hold this event on an indian reservation right in the middle of California. The whole state is on legendary lockdown right now. Especially in places like San Francisco. He picked the wrong state to do it in. He should have just done the island.

I cannot believe that Dana and so much of the fanbase thought that this nonsense about tribal lands and "private islands" was actually going to work.

This was absolutely the dumbest shit that I've seen as a fan of this sport.

Ariel's tweet courtesy of @Deadwing88

The fact that Disney hadn't stepped in before now is absurd but not surprising. They're in a financial crisis because the parks are closed and are relying on bridge loans. That idiotic Fox purchase, which should have been blocked under antitrust laws, is biting them in ass.

How the fuck is this clown the CEO of a major company? And why do so many of you take him seriously?

The UFC is a trash circus and anyone who is surprised by that fact should wake up.

Just another reminder that Dana is still not on Vince McMahon's level.

WarlikeAffectionateAntarcticfurseal-size_restricted.gif
ahahahaha

the genetic jackhammer is too far ahead of the game.

"Im runnin wrestlemania,GODDAMNIT,and if anyone out there in this very arena,has got anything to say...any dissenting OPINIONS...and OH YES,any of my ROSTER that is booked to work that night,thinks that they can take the night off,cos of this Coronavirus...well,to them I just have one thing to say...

Fuck off Dana, even the guys IN, were only sheepishly agreeing. You greedy bastard!

Yo the Frittata sisters would have def let cue ball do this mortal kombat style showdown

Khabib knows. Got out while he could to be with his family instead of getting stranded in the states for the long term for an event whose prospects were tenuous at best.
Khabib is the champ and one of the biggest names in the UFC, so he has more power to say no to Dana. The sad thing is very few fighters are in the position to say no and if you say no to Dana then he will punish you for it because of his vindictive nature. The fighters should never have been put in that position in the first place.

"Globally unprecedented time" The disease is not unprecedented and we have had more deadly pandemics in the last thirty years. The media fear mongering and authoritarian nature of the crisis are what is unprecedented.

"Putting up fights while tens of thousands are dying is stupid"
This might be the dumbest fucking thing I've read all day. Hundreds of thousands die from illness every year and we put on fights. Epidemics break out yearly where thousands die and fights still go on. What are you fucking talking about?

right; people die from epidemics every year, so let’s not even try to stop that from happening in any capacity.

Back