UFC 248 PBP/Discussion

Kinda wild all 3 judges gave griffin the 3d round. I thought that would be the determining round. But somehow 2 judges gave olivieira the first round, crazy stuff. The zhang joanna scorecards were also all over the place. Judging is really just so random.

Props were the way to go for the two title fights. Not Izzy ITD and Joana +5.5 both had a lot of value IMO. I figured Izzy/Yoel would suck.

Props were the way to go for the two title fights. Not Izzy ITD and Joana +5.5 both had a lot of value IMO. I figured Izzy/Yoel would suck.
zhang dec. x 5.0 was also nice.

783 total strikes from both women in the co-main and Izzy and Yoel barely over 220 ish that was bad.
I hope Izzy did have staph for that or Costa will smash him if he comes in like that again.

Even GM3 bringing the shade damn

Last edited:
Romero's blitzing style is great and tends to make up for his lulls of inactivity, but can't understand his game plan of allowing those lulls to last entire rounds.

I understand the whole counter striker approach and saving himself early on to avoid gassing in the latter rounds, but not gassing and then not throwing he'll for leather in the latter rounds when you likely need a finish, or to try and stamp your seal on a round is a bit baffling.

If it's a tactic you're going to go for where you're almost willing to give up certain rounds to conserve yourself and recover for another big blitz, you'd think you'd spend the first half of round one feeling out and then the second half blitzing to try to take the round, ease up round 2, go aggressive round 3 (something he's renowned for doing but never happened here), recover round 4 and then blitz early round 5, spend the middle of the round recovering if you didn't get him out of there, and last 90 seconds or so just throw everything at him so that if you don't get your opponent out of there, you being the hammer at the start and end of the round is in the judges minds and likely wins you that final round.

Pacing yourself is great if you have gassing issues, but not so great if you don't attack.

After the fight before the scorecards were read, one of the commentators said how Romero did a few dozen press ups in the ring. If you had that energy you should have been using that in the last round; not in some dumb show afterwards as a display that you're not tired and it was a piece of cake.

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10985/Israel-Adesanya-vs-Yoel-Romero

Very revealing scorecards. All 3 judges gave Romero round 1. Good, fine. 2 of 3 judges gave Romero round 2. Fine, no problems there, either. All 3 judges give Izzy rounds 3 and 4. Correct again.

But then, with the fight on the line...all 3 judges gave Izzy round 5, which he very clearly lost.

Do you think Dana White or some proxy yelled at them between rounds to not give Romero the victory? Or was there some more subtle form of communication?

Very revealing scorecards. All 3 judges gave Romero round 1. Good, fine. 2 of 3 judges gave Romero round 2. Fine, no problems there, either. All 3 judges give Izzy rounds 3 and 4. Correct again.

But then, with the fight on the line...all 3 judges gave Izzy round 5, which he very clearly lost.

Do you think Dana White or some proxy yelled at them between rounds to not give Romero the victory? Or was there some more subtle form of communication?
Yeah consistently now close fights go to the ufc favourites, and always with very weird scorecards (zhang, Jones, adesanya, etc.) Just another thing to take into consideration when there is a big titlefight. Like I imagine Khabib will surely get the win vs Ferguson if it goes to the scorecards and all rounds are relatively close. I am sure there is some sort of corruption at play.

Yeah consistently now close fights go to the ufc favourites, and always with very weird scorecards (zhang, Jones, adesanya, etc.) Just another thing to take into consideration when there is a big titlefight. Like I imagine Khabib will surely get the win vs Ferguson if it goes to the scorecards and all rounds are relatively close. I am sure there is some sort of corruption at play.

The Zhang decision was fine and probably not influenced. JJ is at least as big of a name as Zhang, the UFC loves JJ and consistently gives her plum opportunities, AND a rematch if JJ won the split would be huge.

But Jones-Gustaffson 1 and Jones-Reyes? Clear tampering.

Note that Jones-Gustaffson 1, Jones-Reyes and Romero-Izzy weren't even split decisions. All 3 were unanimous.

Saw it as a 50-50 decision going into it, but the actual scorecards are pretty questionable.

IMO 1 was clear Zhang, 2 & 5 were edged by Zhang and 3 & 4 were clear Joanna cards.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/10984/Weili-Zhang-vs-Joanna-Jedrzejczyk

Yet Joanna only gets 4 on one scorecard despite randomly picking up a R1 scorecard and a R2 scorecard? I felt that the most-correct Zhang scorecard was gonna be 1-2-5, and nobody actually had that scorecard. Like if somebody had told me that JJ had atleast one round out of 1 & 2 on two judges' scorecards going into R5 I'd have thought she was home free.

Also from a betting POV it's always annoying when a -220 hypetrain wins the 50-50 split after massively outperforming tape. I also dislike people scoring cosmetic damage. There's no real rhyme or reason to when hematomas occur, and they don't really do anything but look fucked up... yet we've probably had two recent decisions in Rakic/Oezdemir & this one swung by 'ugh that thing looks fucked up'. Like if Hematomas were a natural, consistent product of hard hitting... you'd think that every LHW/HW fight would end up with both guys covered in them? It's like cuts, there are definitely strategies you can take to try and encourage their formation but their actual placement/severity is pretty random.

Like I've had about a 25k total swing on the year across 2k on Reyes @ +400~ & $6k on JJ +175~ and it's just frustrating running facefirst into a wall on massive value dogs going into razor-thin decisions.

I do actually kinda agree with Israel-Romero R5 being dodgy scoring. Felt like it was a decision on the judges' part to not reward Romero for his gameplan even if he probably did enough to win the decision if you actually go by criteria.

Last edited:

I’m sure they’re coached well before the fight
The Zhang decision was fine and probably not influenced. JJ is at least as big of a name as Zhang, the UFC loves JJ and consistently gives her plum opportunities, AND a rematch if JJ won the split would be huge.

But Jones-Gustaffson 1 and Jones-Reyes? Clear tampering.

Note that Jones-Gustaffson 1, Jones-Reyes and Romero-Izzy weren't even split decisions. All 3 were unanimous.

Jj wasn’t winning a close fight.

ufc stands to gain far more with zhang winning with China where they’ve installed a ufc pi. Huge untapped market potential

there’s going to be a rematch regardless

I’m sure they’re coached well before the fight

Maybe? But in that case, giving Romero round 2 when Romero would need just 1 more round was exceptionally dangerous. So much safer to give Izzy round 2, which would allow way more wiggle room and plausible deniability over the rest of the contest.

Seems like more of a last-second, panic move, as they didn't expect Romero to win at all, and certainly not in that fashion.

ill800 said:
Jj wasn’t winning a close fight.

ufc stands to gain far more with zhang winning with China where they’ve installed a ufc pi. Huge untapped market potential

Sure, but what difference is there in terms of the China market between Zhang being UFC champion or an ex-UFC champion and one of their biggest female stars? Nevermind that JJ is significant in the Euro market.

We're also ignoring that this is the Red Retard himself, Dana White, we're talking about.

His decisions aren't based purely on financials. If they were, it would make no sense to rig a fight so hard for Adesanya.

Contrary to all the UFC bullshit, Izzy is not a star. Not even fucking close. He is nowhere near the level of Jon Jones. Hell, he isn't even nearly as big of a star as Daniel Cormier.

He doesn't sell PPVs and the live-gates for the cards he headlines are modest at best, all factors considered. For instance, UFC 248 had a live-gate of $2.7 million. That's pretty shit for a PPV card in the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

By contrast, Jones vs. Reyes did $3.5 million in freaking Texas, McGregor did over $11 million in the same arena (huge outlier), and UFC 245, which was a strong card and had 3 championship fights but no real stars, did over $4.0 million in the same arena during the holiday season.

Point being, Dana Retard White makes a lot of decisions because he personally LIKES or DISLIKES fighters.

He loves Adesanya. Over the years, there are few female fighters he has loved more than JJ.

Maybe? But in that case, giving Romero round 2 when Romero would need just 1 more round was exceptionally dangerous. So much safer to give Izzy round 2, which would allow way more wiggle room and plausible deniability over the rest of the contest.

Seems like more of a last-second, panic move, as they didn't expect Romero to win at all, and certainly not in that fashion.

Sure, but what difference is there in terms of the China market between Zhang being UFC champion or an ex-UFC champion and one of their biggest female stars? Nevermind that JJ is significant in the Euro market.

We're also ignoring that this is the Red Retard himself, Dana White, we're talking about.

His decisions aren't based purely on financials. If they were, it would make no sense to rig a fight so hard for Adesanya.

Contrary to all the UFC bullshit, Izzy is not a star. Not even fucking close. He is nowhere near the level of Jon Jones. Hell, he isn't even nearly as big of a star as Daniel Cormier.

He doesn't sell PPVs and the live-gates for the cards he headlines are modest at best, all factors considered. For instance, UFC 248 had a live-gate of $2.7 million. That's pretty shit for a PPV card in the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

By contrast, Jones vs. Reyes did $3.5 million in freaking Texas, McGregor did over $11 million in the same arena (huge outlier), and UFC 245, which was a strong card and had 3 championship fights but no real stars, did over $4.0 million in the same arena during the holiday season.

Point being, Dana Retard White makes a lot of decisions because he personally LIKES or DISLIKES fighters.

He loves Adesanya. Over the years, there are few female fighters he has loved more than JJ.
I think dana does go with who he likes, and I think he likes weili. Why go back to the old champ when you have a new one representing a huge market with all the corona virus stuff going on

He would never favor a 42 year old Cuban fighter who is typically not the most exciting to win over someone like Whitaker or izzy.
Besides he thinks Izzy is the second coming of spider Silva

Last edited:

I hate that I believe this but I do.

6174PsFWJSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The guy who switches around bets based on how shredded a fighter looks at weigh-ins is poo-pooing the idea of UFC having a large financial stake in the outcome of PPV main events and influencing outcomes when the judging in close fights is biased in one direction, and one direction only?

How much money did you lose last year, out of curiosity?

I had a medium sized bet on Joanna and I think it was a great fight and very competitive fight, but I wasn't shocked after the final bell rang that it ended in a split decision or that she lost.

ts6j7q8.jpg

Well look it's the pot calling the kettle black

If 1 unit is defined as 1% of my bankroll on Jan 1, 2019, I was up 135 units last year. Not your bullshit fantasy units either, as only 1 or 2 of those units were from live-bets.

(For full transparency, if 1 unit is defined as 1% of my bankroll on Jan 1, 2020, I'm presently down about 21 units this year)

Back