UFC 215 - Johnson vs. Borg - Alberta, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Gilbert Melendez here. Seems to be in great condition and stylistically this is a good match up for him so long as he doesn't stand directly in front of Jeremy and bang it out like he did with Diego. I believe he's bluffing with the talk of standing toe-to-toe and just throwing hands for the fans amusement. He's on a 3-fight losing streak and needs a victory. Moreover, if he wanted to just entertain fans and pick up a paycheck classified sell the rest of his contract – he wouldn't have dropped to 145 and struggled with what he eats. I mean, he's not going to kill themselves to make 145 pounds at 35 years of old and put himself in line to get slept for a fourth consecutive loss.

This weekend I believe we see a bit of the old El Niño here, which is high pressure and excellent boxing. At his best Gilbert is one of the most dominant wrestle–boxers in the sport, right up there with Frankie Edgar, and he is in position to showcase those talents this weekend. That's because stylistically Jeremy Stephens is the perfect apparel to break this horrid losing streak.

Also of note is the lingering myth of Stephens and his heavy hands. That is to say, while he packs power if it connects, he misses a lot. Accordingly, he exhibits very rudimentary boxing from a technical perspective after the first few minutes of the fight. Particularly, this is because when he punches he winds up and swings from the bleachers rather than picking his shots. Using a baseball analogy: instead of hitting his man and landing singles, doubles and the occasional triple, he is consistently searching for the homerun. And as any good baseball coach will tell you, "If you try and force the HR it's going to remain elusive and you're gonna strike out. You have to let the pitch come to you (take what your opponent gives you) and it will come to you organically"

What's more, Jeremy's once vaunted knock out power has faded almost completely as he has went the distance in his 8 straight and 9 of his last 10.

His tendency to plant his feet and sit down on his punches gives Gilbert the opportunity to hit that blast double leg takedown.

Stephens is just 1-3 in his last four and 2-4 in his last six with victories over the aforementioned Bermudez and a vastly undersized 145 pound Barao who is a shadow of its former self. Worse still, Jeremy barely squeaked by with a split decision.

While Gil has dropped 3 in a row and 4 of 5, the losses look worse on paper than they are when placed in proper context. For instance, the majority of fans and media believed he defeated Benson Henderson to win the title, as well as Eddie Alvarez in his penultimate UFC outing. Pettis — who was on fire at the time — caught him in a sneaky guillotine after Gil looked in total control of that fight. Then he got clobbered by Edson Barboza who is fighting like a fucking gorilla right now. I mean, Barboza might be the hottest fighter in the UFC at this point, and is most certainly multiple levels above where Jeremy Stephens ever was.

At any rate, I believe Gilbert should be around -160 here I already put a pretty good bet on him after seeing him at the weigh-in's — which was all I was waiting for. Best of luck to those either way. This is just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
I really like Gilbert Melendez here. Seems to be in great condition and stylistically this is a good match up for him so long as he doesn't stand directly in front of Jeremy and bang it out like he did with Diego. I believe he's bluffing with the talk of standing toe-to-toe and just throwing hands for the fans amusement. He's on a 3-fight losing streak and needs a victory. Moreover, if he wanted to just entertain fans and pick up a paycheck classified sell the rest of his contract – he wouldn't have dropped to 145 and struggled with what he eats. I mean, he's not going to kill themselves to make 145 pounds at 35 years of old and put himself in line to get slept for a fourth consecutive loss.

This weekend I believe we see a bit of the old El Niño here, which is high pressure and excellent boxing. At his best Gilbert is one of the most dominant wrestle–boxers in the sport, right up there with Frankie Edgar, and he is in position to showcase those talents this weekend. That's because stylistically Jeremy Stephens is the perfect apparel to break this horrid losing streak.

Also of note is the lingering myth of Stephens and his heavy hands. That is to say, while he packs power if it connects, he misses a lot. Accordingly, he exhibits very rudimentary boxing from a technical perspective after the first few minutes of the fight. Particularly, this is because when he punches he winds up and swings from the bleachers rather than picking his shots. Using a baseball analogy: instead of hitting his man and landing singles, doubles and the occasional triple, he is consistently searching for the homerun. And as any good baseball coach will tell you, "If you try and force the HR it's going to remain elusive and you're gonna strike out. You have to let the pitch come to you (take what your opponent gives you) and it will come to you organically"

What's more, Jeremy's once vaunted knock out power has faded almost completely as he has went the distance in his 8 straight and 9 of his last 10.

His tendency to plant his feet and sit down on his punches gives Gilbert the opportunity to hit that blast double leg takedown.

Stephens is just 1-3 in his last four and 2-4 in his last six with victories over the aforementioned Bermudez and a vastly undersized 145 pound Barao who is a shadow of its former self. Worse still, Jeremy barely squeaked by with a split decision.

While Gil has dropped 3 in a row and 4 of 5, the losses look worse on paper than they are when placed in proper context. For instance, the majority of fans and media believed he defeated Benson Henderson to win the title, as well as Eddie Alvarez in his penultimate UFC outing. Pettis — who was on fire at the time — caught him in a sneaky guillotine after Gil looked in total control of that fight. Then he got clobbered by Edson Barboza who is fighting like a fucking gorilla right now. I mean, Barboza might be the hottest fighter in the UFC at this point, and is most certainly multiple levels above where Jeremy Stephens ever was.

At any rate, I believe Gilbert should be around -160 here I already put a pretty good bet on him after seeing him at the weigh-in's — which was all I was waiting for. Best of luck to those either way. This is just my humble opinion.
I look at this a whole different way. How many veteran 35 year old fighters who are 45 in fight years do well by draining themselves to drop a weight class late in their careers? Stephens almost beat Frankie Edgar in my opinion two fights ago and Gilbert has been inactive for a long time, possibly off the sauce now as well after his forced hiatus. He's not easily going to take Jeremy Stephens down and I am not sure he will win clearly on the feet if Stephens takes him seriously. I think you have to take a greater leap of faith that Gilbert will regain any semblance of his old form and look good at 145 pounds, while Stephens just has to be as good as any one of his most recent performances to win a decision here. Hell, he may even knock down a weight drained Gilbert.

I really liked Gilbert also before he started talking about how being a warrior is more important than winning

DEC O5.5 -116 (stupid limits tho grrr)

likely decisions:
rda-magny
stephens-melendez
mcmann-vieira
reis-cejudo
evanssmith-moras
glen-tucker

could be decision:
nunes-shevchenko
white-clarke
henrique-bhullar
martins-johnson

unlikely decision:
pedro-latifi

got stephens nsc -120. jealous of the +money people

fight pass:

martins-johnson
martins looks great after the layoff.
johnson looks good, too, tho much more slender
johnson 1" taller, martins looks stronger

henrique-bhullar
bhullar in at 239, looks... ok.. just soft.. definitely looks like he should be 205..
henrique 244.5, just such a big boyo.
henrique is 2-3" taller, looks a weight class bigger

FS1 prelims

white-clarke
white looks outstanding. the best he ever has. i don't think he'll ever be 145 again
clarke looks pretty darn solid despite the layoff
they're very similarly sized

glenn-tucker
glenn looks pretty darn good for him. obviously a big dude for 145. more cut than usual..
tucker looks excellent. little better than his debut, i think
glenn towering over him.. 6+" easily

evans-smith-moras
evans-smith looks really freakin good. very fit for her. big girl for 135.
moras seems to be in better shape i think?
can't see her jiggle-butt but it seems that way
evans-smith is 2-3" taller

vieira-mcmann
vieira a big girl at 135, looks fit.
mcmann comes out as usual with arms as big as mine, and i outweigh her by 70 pounds. early weighin thoughts of her being "soft" -- hell no.
vieira is bigger, 2" taller

PPV:

stephens-melendez
melendez looks better down at 145, for what it's worth... he honestly doesn't look THAT much different from how he normally does, tho, imo?
stephens looks solid. about the same as usual. he's been a lil more cut some fights but he looks good.
they're the same size

pedro-latifi
pedro looks good.. big boy at 205, as usual.
the Horse Lord is a tank of tanks, as always. sheesh. what a bruiser.
pedro is 5" taller easily

cejudo-reis
reis looks terrific, as usual. always chiseled.
cejudo lookin very solid. he's in shape.
they're the same size

RDA-magny
RDA looks very solid. no, not as SHREDDED as he was as 155 champ, but he looks fuckin good, still.
magny looks outstanding. such a rangey mofo.
magny 5+" taller for sure

nunes-shevchenko
shevchenko looks great, as always. 133.5...
nunes lookin pretty fit. as good as expected.
nunes 2" taller. she's the bigger girl for sure, but we knew this.

wow @ the size differential in: glenn-tucker, pedro-latifi, magny-RDA

i love how melendez KO pays more than melendez SUB.

i mean, it's not like gilbert has 0 sub wins in 28 pro fights, right?

...oh wait...

Tucker down to -235 after weigh ins as i predicted lol its not like the height difference wasnt expected. Rda down slightly too. Magny and glenn may be tall but they cant fight at range for shit especially glenn who likes to dirty box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back