UFC 2 is p4p the most underrated card in the history of the sport

ufc 2 was a good one for sure.

i think ufc 6 is the best one of the originals (the first appearance of tank).

Getting into the cage at that time took far more courage than it does now. It doesn't elevate their skill levels, but it does elevate them as men.

I do agree, these guys signed up for something that was completely unknown. Most had no idea what they were in for. In reality the only good fighters in the first 3 were Royce and Ken Shamrock.

UFC 2 is also the first time we heard the words "LET'S GET IT ON" for the first time in the Octagon
B_1u5XjUsAAvaBz.png

Most of the guys in the first few UFC's were horrible. Ettish being one of them.

Well obviously they didn't have anywhere close to the training (especially cross-training) that fighters do now. I actually think they learned and progressed very quickly in the early days. After all, Royce's win streak only lasted 13 months.

Also, almost all of the early fights turned out better than Dada vs Kimbo (RIP). Dada even had specific MMA and conditioning trainers and he looked worse than Kevin Rosier (RIP) did in UFC 1...and he prepared by eating like a pig beforehand.

Well obviously they didn't have anywhere close to the training (especially cross-training) that fighters do now. I actually think they learned and progressed very quickly in the early days. After all, Royce's win streak only lasted 13 months.

Also, almost all of the early fights turned out better than Dada vs Kimbo (RIP). Dada even had specific MMA and conditioning trainers and he looked worse than Kevin Rosier did in UFC 1.

Pretty much exposed single disciplines as not very effective at all.

Getting into the cage at that time took far more courage than it does now. It doesn't elevate their skill levels, but it does elevate them as men.

Post of the day, in my opinion.

Fred Ettish is my point.

Questioning my point is pointless.

It checks out.
Questioning Fred Ettish is pointless.
The man believed in himself, and put himself out there.
He was wrong. So he made some adjustments, and tried it again.
He won his second fight at 53 years old.
/story

I do agree, these guys signed up for something that was completely unknown. Most had no idea what they were in for. In reality the only good fighters in the first 3 were Royce and Ken Shamrock.
There was a guy who had an amateur boxing fight coming up shortly, and decided to wear a glove on his strong hand.
Art Jimmerson tapped immediately, to save his face, and avoid failing his physical.

The sumo losing in the first ever fight had to be something to behold.
Here's a guy that was big as fuck and scary to boot. Knocked down, knocked out and lost teeth to some skinny looking tall ass white boy who kicked him right in the fucking face.
Imagine hanging out in the back, knowing that if you won your fight, that was waiting for you afterwards.

The "sport" was so unregulated back then, what would happen to you in the cage was a massive unknown.

The courage of those men at that time was amazing.

Exactly!! I mean think about the stones it took to get in there. They had no idea the skill of the person they were fighting. There were hardly any rules at all. I don't even know if the first few UFC events allowed the ref to really do anything unless the guy tapped or went totally unconscious.

It was like walking into a streetfight with an unknown person on purpose. Gotta respect those guys. Even the ones that get made fun on now still took a lot of courage to get in there.

Back