UFC 198 confirmed for Curitiba, Brazil (Werdum vs. Miocic)

toe hold

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Fa...e-Miocic-to-Headline-UFC-198-in-Brazil-100661

SIR

Heavily rumored for a couple weeks now. Location, venue and headliner confirmed.

UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum will defend his belt on Brazilian soil against top contender Stipe Miocic in the main event of UFC 198.

Sources close to the bout on Monday confirmed the matchup to Sherdog.com following a report from Brazilian outlet
Combate.

Werdum and Miocic were briefly scheduled to square off in January after Miocic stepped in to replace injured former champion
Cain Velasquez. However, Werdum also came up injured and withdrew from the bout soon after, and the event formerly known as UFC 196 became a UFC Fight Night.

UFC 198 will take place May 14 at Arena da Baixada football stadium in Curitiba, Parana. The event was previously announced as a UFC Fight Night card with a middleweight main event between
Ronaldo Souza and Vitor Belfort; that bout will instead serve as the pay-per-view co-headliner.

The show will mark UFC’s first visit to Curitiba.

Fights announced so far for card

HW Championship bout: Fabricio Werdum vs. Stipe Miocic
MW bout: Ronaldo Souza vs. Vitor Belfort
WW bout: Demian Maia vs. Matt Brown
WW bout: Warlley Alves vs. Bryan Barberena
LHW bout: Patrick Cummins vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
LW bout: Evan Dunham vs. Leonardo Santos
MW bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Thiago Santos
LW bout: Francisco Trinaldo vs. Yancy Medeiros

Fuck yes, hell of a card.

And man, Barberena gon get that "vai morrer" treatment in Brazil.

Curitiba? I'm one of the Shogun fans that roots for him to retire with his health but I would love for him to be on this card juiced to the gills for one last scrap. Give him a legend vs. legend fight. Bring back Rich "Ace" Franklin or something.

Would like to see Assuncao, Barao and Almeida on this card as well

Curitiba? I'm one of the Shogun fans that roots for him to retire with his health but I would love for him to be on this card juiced to the gills for one last scrap. Give him a legend vs. legend fight. Bring back Rich "Ace" Franklin or something.
Ha! Unfortunately, not one "Curitibano" on the card... Maybe the next one!

Would like to see Assuncao, Barao and Almeida on this card as well

Probably one of the three will appear, most likely Almeida. I would imagine that Almeida will probably be given one more favorable matchup before a high profile opponent.

I would imagine that the other two guys will be fighting on another card.

Ha! Unfortunately, not one "Curitibano" on the card... Maybe the next one!
Yeah and no Wand either, lol. They missed the boat on this one. Curitiba should have been one of the first places they looked to have a show in.

Thank god Miocic gets the shot instead of another Cain rematch

Fucking awesome card.

Let's hope for some classic ultra violence in the birth place of Chute Boxe.

Great to hear Stipe is fighting Werdum for the belt next and not Cain!!! :D

Fun card and happy to see Miocic getting his shot.

A lot of interesting match making here. Barberena getting a physically imposing, undefeated TUF winner. A Brazilian he has to fight in Brazil. I suppose the back office didn't like him speaking out on how Sage was treated special.

Nate Marquardt gets booked relatively safely against Thiago Santos. I suppose they don't want to see him against marquee fighters or getting more brain damage. At this point in his career this is a reasonable fight, makes me think they want to let him get a few more pay days.

Cummins -vs- Little Nog is very interesting. Pat got thrown to the wolves far too quickly but his athletic window is closing at 35. If he can't beat Nog, I think they might cut him loose, despite how thin the division is. At a minimum it will tell us he isn't going to be meaningful in the division. For his part, Nog only fights once a year or less. He's nearly 40. With a loss I see them telling him its time to retire.

Maia is going to absolutely run over Brown. Matt is a likable fighter but we're living in the world where he was submitted 4 times in 5 fights by much lesser men. This is a nightmare matchup for him. You have to imagine this is a holding fight for Maia and he lands in a title eliminator next.

Jacare taps Belfort.

Both this and the Khabib/Ferguson cards look better than every other confirmed 2016 card so far.

Back