• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 188: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum PBP (Discussion)

Love how EVERYONE jumps off the Cain bandwagon and on to Werdum's.. You guys are so cool!

I was rooting for Cain, but it's hard to deny that he got picked apart tonight. He'll be fine career-wise, but tonight was all Werdum.

Is there a reason Cain didn't move to Mexico prior to the fight? It would seem like a no-brainer. Even on cross-country hikes we prep by hiking in similar altitudes before the big one. I suppose it has something to do with the issue of trying to move your entire camp from San Jose to Mexico? Just curious if this is an instance where Verdum simply had a camp that was more accommodating (moving to Mexico) and Cain not having that option.

I think that had a lot to do with it. Cain gassed pretty quick and didn't have the same movement that he's had in the past. Fighters gas all the time in Denver and Mexico City is much worse, if you aren't used to it it will affect you no matter how good your cardio is normally.

Impressive evolution by Werdum.
And what about Cain...lost in the first fox card, now lose in front of the mexican people. He will be back for a rematch, but Werdum got the skills to beat him again.
Great fight. If both win the next fights, make the rematch.

Can't wait for Cain's return in 2019.

Then Cain should have had his ass in a place like Big Bear for months preparing for this fight. It's his fault for not making the sacrifices necessary to win.

dc lost rockhold thought he won without fighting then cain had presser, set up AKA my ass
the NEW

CHAMP

one that will have fight

Expected more form Cain.

Taps seconds into the Guillotine.

Really disappointed for the Mexican fans.

It was either that or pass out. Werdum had it, he's world class at BJJ and he was specifically drilling that technique for this fight.

im still surprised that not many gave werdum a chance, he is a very good fighter

Immediate rematch is very likely. JDS coming off one unconvincing win. Only other choice would be Arlovski, wow if he won the belt now that would be incredible..

So that happened...

If anything 2015 has shown us that no one is as good as we think they are.

Fabricio+Werdum+Distracts+and+Attacks+Travis+Browne+-+UFC+on+Fox+11.gif

This. Also, I think from the same interview, "It's not like Cain does a lot of cardio or anything. He just naturally has big lungs and can go forever" or something very similar.

Yep, and still a fan, but all I feel right now is disappointed..

Is there a reason Cain didn't move to Mexico prior to the fight? It would seem like a no-brainer. Even on cross-country hikes we prep by hiking in similar altitudes before the big one. I suppose it has something to do with the issue of trying to move your entire camp from San Jose to Mexico? Just curious if this is an instance where Verdum simply had a camp that was more accommodating (moving to Mexico) and Cain not having that option.

I think Cain not moving to Mexico was hubris. He was giving into all the 'Cardio Cain' hype. If you saw the embedded series, he didn't even want to go to Mexico for a couple weeks, but his trainers convinced him, and eventually he said they were right to do so.

Maybe it was being away from his family, and more importantly, not having access to Cromier that kept him at SJ. It was mentioned in the Ariel Helwani short interview with Rockhold that the only decent training partner Cain had in mexico at the start was Rockhold, and that's because he's a confirmed bachelor with no roots to keep him from taking a few weeks in Mexico.

His dependence on Cromier and familiarity/family obligations with AKA cost him.
He was also getting Cromier ready for the AJ fight, so there's that.

All just my opinion, so maybe there's another reason?

Back