• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 188: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum PBP (Discussion)

All I can hear is Javier's words ringing in my head.. "I told Cain we should go to Mexico City early and he said no".. loose translation, true story

i go on lots of hikes and live in the bay area at sea level.

guess what happens instantly as elevation goes up? you are only as good as your cardio and this directly taxes the body and i will huff and puff more the higher i get.

as i get to 7000 feet for example it gets even worse, even if this isn't high enough to get elevation sickness.

i have hiked out of the area for even longer than a few weeks in a row, almost every day and there is no way that i can get used to 7000 feet in a couple weeks and come anywhere near my pace at sea level.

it effects me and the people i go with to our cores and we have to push through it, even take breaks on stretches we normally wouldn't, hydrate well, etc.

i don't understand how the top pro athletes wouldn't know this along with their trainers.

Javier Mendez told Cain that they should go to Mexico earlier but Cain refused to do so. Javier said this on one of the embedded episodes.

Unreal. Despite the high altitude and 2 year layoff, Cain really had nothing for Werdum. I'm so stoked he won!

cains striking was sloppy and robot, he just goes forward swinging and has average power, guess it works when you have cardio and wrestling advantage but when it doesnt you get picked apart.

i don't understand how the top pro athletes wouldn't know this along with their trainers.

The more I think about this the more I wonder if it's something they know, but can't do because their camps won't/can't just uproot and move to MX for weeks at a time.

You've got to admit, Cain won't look like that outside of Mexico City. I've got a feeling in LV, NV, Cain looks much better.

Potentially, yes. Cain also does better when he can grind predominate strikers against the cage and wear them down. Werdum is too complete package for that shit.

How long until Cain fights again? 1 year? 2 years? Does he retire?

Thanks for the play by play guys. :) That was super entertaining to read.

And by the way.... WERDUM TIME!!!!!@@@@@@@@@@@!!!

Javier Mendez told Cain that they should go to Mexico earlier but Cain refused to do so. Javier said this on one of the embedded episodes.

He's 100% responsible for his own demise

I did a $20 parlay for rosa, melendez and werdum. Thought I had the first two relatively locked. Fuck sakes.

The Werdum odds were ridiculous. Their first scheduled fight I thought it was about even and then this fight you had to give Werdum somewhat of an edge for how long Cain was sidelined. The Alverez one definitely would've been riskier cause I still had him as an underdog. But looking at that parlay, I was very tempted to go back to betting again. Probably good I didn't cause I would've ended up losing all the winnings on more bets.

You've got to admit, Cain won't look like that outside of Mexico City. I've got a feeling in LV, NV, Cain looks much better.

Then Cain should have had his ass in a place like Big Bear for months preparing for this fight. It's his fault for not making the sacrifices necessary to win.

Remarkable the timing of this guy, Werdum, out of nowhere, gets ko'ed by JDS, leaves the UFC, beats Fedor,...starts an unbelievable and slow buildup back to the top, and has now beaten the 'so-called' greatest hw GOAT in history, this fight will kill Cain's main claim to the top now,...wow,...Werdum,..wow,...

People can discredit Werdum all they want. Cain's mistake with altitude, long layoff, etc. I think a rematch at sea level goes the same way (except no slow motion looking Cain).

All I can hear is Javier's words ringing in my head.. "I told Cain we should go to Mexico City early and he said no".. loose translation, true story

This. Also, I think from the same interview, "It's not like Cain does a lot of cardio or anything. He just naturally has big lungs and can go forever" or something very similar.

Back