UFC 165: The most lopsided main and co-main event combination in UFC history?

oswald1

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
5Dimes

Alexander Gustafsson +600
Jon Jones -900

Eddie Wineland +500
Renan Pegado -700

I dont think anything comes close. Even Dan Hardy was given a better chance against GSP than Gus against Jones. Think about that for a second. Still the UFC isnt really to blame this time I guess. Jones is just a freak of nature and bantamweight just doesnt have much going for it.

Good value on the line on Gus imo. May chuck a cheeky ton down. He'll put up a better fighter than that line would have you believe even in the event of a loss.

Bones just has too many weapons at his disposal

This fight will be way closer than people think.

This fight will be way closer than people think.

Barao vs Wineland is closer than Gus vs Jones.

but yea both are pretty damn lopsided. I'm not a god damn MMA historian so I can't say if it's the most lopsided ever.

Barao vs Wineland is closer than Gus vs Jones.

but yea both are pretty damn lopsided. I'm not a god damn MMA historian so I can't say if it's the most lopsided ever.

You might think so. You'll see that's not true soon enough :)

You might think so. You'll see that's not true soon enough :)

Maybe. MMA is the highest variance sport I know of, so anything is possible.

I will be rooting for Gus btw. I just think his grappling isn't anywhere near good enough to handle Jones.

Maybe. MMA is the highest variance sport I know of, so anything is possible.

I will be rooting for Gus btw. I just think his grappling isn't anywhere near good enough to handle Jones.

Everything comes down to whether he can stuff the takedowns or not. I'm excited as fuck.

Same idiots who put money on Canelo are the same idiots putting money on Gus.

They will never learn.

moneyonfire.jpeg

Lol. I dont think it is. Whilst I wont argue that Jones should rightly be favoured I see value on this line. This isn't Jones vs Chael we're talking about, it's a legitimate 205 contender who I would argue is being undervalued by the bookies here.

bantamweight just doesnt have much going for it.

When a 'champion' is out for going on 2 years, with no fight scheduled, and the interim belt has not only been established ; but is being not only defended once, but twice... what the fuck to people expect? ;)

Jump on those odds if you smell upset, but the favorites are heavy favorite for every reason possible.

GSP was -625 I think close to fight time against Hardy -- -525 against Diaz etc etc...

When a 'champion' is out for going on 2 years, with no fight scheduled, and the interim belt has not only been established ; but is being not only defended once, but twice... what the fuck to people expect? ;)

Jump on those odds if you smell upset, but the favorites are heavy favorite for every reason possible.

The vig on these bets are hellacious though. Like Jones is -900 fav while Gus is only +600 dog. That's crazy vig.

So while Jones might not be -900 fav, he probably isn't only +600 dog. I don't see Gus winning more than ~16%

I think it's probably closer to 10-12%.

Lopsided in terms of betting odds maybe, but when just looking at both fighters and their resumes, I think Jones vs Sonnen was a lot more lopsided than this.
Gus will lose but I don't think he will be crushed like some other Jones' opponents.

The vig on these bets are hellacious though. Like Jones is -900 fav while Gus is only +600 dog. That's crazy vig.

So while Jones might not be -900 fav, he probably isn't only +600 dog. I don't see Gus winning more than ~16%

I think it's probably closer to 10-12%.
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of dropping $20 on either underdog at this point... but I really don't think Jones and Barao lose....

The odds are insane, but like I said ; favorite are heavy favorites for every reason imaginable. Of course, MMA is MMA and shit happens :)

What is the LITERAL biggest gap come actual fight time, or close to it? Silva opened like -1200 or more for the Bonnar fight, I recall that, but what is literally the biggest gap you've seen between any betting site that would let you put down money and is respectable?

I don't see any way Gus can win this.

Question. If someone put a $100 bet on Gus & by God coming down & KO'ing Jon he wins, does that mean the person will win $600?

Naturally I go back to the thread listings and get a link.

-2500 Nogueira vs. +1250 Sokoudjou Pride 33 2007.02.24 View
-1500 Silva vs. +750 Takase Pride 26 2003.06.08 View
-1300 St. Pierre vs. +850 Serra UFC 69 2007.04.07 View
-1200 Lawal vs. +700 Newton Bellator 90 2013.02.21 View
-900 Penn vs. +588 Edgar UFC 112 2010.04.10 View
-800 Gomi vs. +676 Golyaev Sengoku 6 2008.11.01 View
-800 Gono vs. +525 Narantungalag Sengoku 14 2010.08.22 View
-800 Huerta vs. +550 Curran Bellator 17 2010.05.06 View
-800 Gomi vs. +500 Aurelio Pride Bushido 10 2006.04.02 View
-800 Lashley vs. +550 Griggs

Interesting stuff.

Back