Ucla Bjj ?

wbridgewater

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew about the quality of the BJJ at UCLA.

they offer a class during summer. but theres no information on instructor or anything.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Level BEG

I think you can get some quality mat time with them for sure.

Placeholder, just in case I decide to go there and need some info on BJJ in the area.

Eh probably more of a "club" than anything.

its not really a club, heres a link to the martial arts page UCLA Recreation Information

its a class with an instructor inside a room with a mat.

the trouble is i was going to start taking classes at gracie barra culver city once finals are over, but the beginner classes there also are tu th at roughly the same time.

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew about the quality of the BJJ at UCLA.

they offer a class during summer. but theres no information on instructor or anything.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Level BEG

theres a guy who teaches at ucla named tim peterson. hes a brown belt under wander braga, and has a monstrous guard. if he's the one teaching, i would definitely attend.

I am applying to UCSC and was also wondering how these clubs operate. Here's what they say about it on their site:

Catalog :: Clubs :: UCSC BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU CLUB

Anyone know this instructor or had any experience? I saw a couple of other schools in the area so it's not a big deal, but was just wondering out of curiosity.

theres a guy who teaches at ucla named tim peterson. hes a brown belt under wander braga, and has a monstrous guard. if he's the one teaching, i would definitely attend.

yeah tim peterson is the instructor. he's good and the people are nice.

I'm a student at UCLA and I train there every now-and-then (I regularly train at HBJJ). Tim's a great instructor and a good friend.

The classes on Tuesday and Thursday are part of the UCLA curriculum, however they have open training on the weekends. Tim will be graduating soon, so I don't know who will take over. There are a lot of white belts, about a dozen blue belts (some of which are monsters on the mat) and a handful of purple belts. I usually show up once every 4 months or so and they greet me with open arms. Really good group of people. Tim tries to get higher belts from Wander's to give seminars every so often.

One reason why I don't train there often is because it can get really crowded. It usually dies down after a few weeks, but there's no ventilation, it's on the top floor, and it can get really swampy in there. And since the alloted time is only and hour and a half, it's difficult to get a good session in.

As someone pointed out, the room is open to all martial arts classes as well as the general public, so there's heavy traffic on the mats. They clean them every morning, but the BJJ classes are usually the last ones of the night, and I've seen countless number of people walk on the mats with their shoes. Plus, you can tell some of the students don't wash their gi very often (probably because laundry in the dorms is such a pain in the ass), and it can be quite uncomfortable rolling with them.

With that said, if you don't have transportation to an academy, or you're low on funds, it's a great place to train.

Just to tag along on this thread, anybody have any experience with the BJJ club at UC Berkeley? I'm going to be starting law school there in a few weeks and just realized that they had a club a few weeks ago.

Just to tag along on this thread, anybody have any experience with the BJJ club at UC Berkeley? I'm going to be starting law school there in a few weeks and just realized that they had a club a few weeks ago.

I don't know how good the cub is at Berkeley but if I was in the area, I'd make the trip to Cesar Gracie's place in Pleasant Hill. Its probably a little under 20 miles away from you. I'd say it'd be worth it. If not theres open door bjj in oakland which I've heard nothing but good things about.

A little off topic but congrats on going to Berkeley for Law school. I need to get my shit together. My parents want me to get an MBA. I'm lazy though and I'm 26 so I should go for it soon.

Yeah Cesar's and Open Door are both great - I'm from the area and used to train at Ralph's, so I'm familiar with most of the local schools. The major problem there would be time (the traffic on 24 is pretty ridiculous during rush hour) and $$ (i'll already be in some pretty serious debt by the time i graduate); both of which are unfortunately at a premium when you're in law school...at least that's what I hear. I'll probably end up joining the Cal judo club and trying to see if there are any bjj folks who meet informally to roll, etc. It'll suck b/c i've been training pretty much balls out for 2 years and I'm going to have to ease up a bit, but c'est la vie. Good luck with your plans...26 isn't too late for an MBA program. they generally expect you to have a fair amount of work experience beforehand anyway.

I will be staying at UCLA from August 10-15 for the SITE program. Since the only off time I'll MAYBE have will be from 6-10 I might as well give it a try and see how it is. I'm not enrolled at UCLA though so do you think they would allow me to roll with them for a day or two? Wouldn't want to overstep my bounds.

I'm a student at UCLA and I train there every now-and-then (I regularly train at HBJJ). Tim's a great instructor and a good friend.

The classes on Tuesday and Thursday are part of the UCLA curriculum, however they have open training on the weekends. Tim will be graduating soon, so I don't know who will take over. There are a lot of white belts, about a dozen blue belts (some of which are monsters on the mat) and a handful of purple belts. I usually show up once every 4 months or so and they greet me with open arms. Really good group of people. Tim tries to get higher belts from Wander's to give seminars every so often.

One reason why I don't train there often is because it can get really crowded. It usually dies down after a few weeks, but there's no ventilation, it's on the top floor, and it can get really swampy in there. And since the alloted time is only and hour and a half, it's difficult to get a good session in.

As someone pointed out, the room is open to all martial arts classes as well as the general public, so there's heavy traffic on the mats. They clean them every morning, but the BJJ classes are usually the last ones of the night, and I've seen countless number of people walk on the mats with their shoes. Plus, you can tell some of the students don't wash their gi very often (probably because laundry in the dorms is such a pain in the ass), and it can be quite uncomfortable rolling with them.

With that said, if you don't have transportation to an academy, or you're low on funds, it's a great place to train.

over 12 blues, a handful of purples, and a brown are all UCLA students? That's fuckin crazy.

I doubt its a club. At my school Javier Vasquez teacher 2-3 classes of BJJ a semester. Im assuming its similar to that but no clue who the instructor is!

Yeah Cesar's and Open Door are both great - I'm from the area and used to train at Ralph's, so I'm familiar with most of the local schools. The major problem there would be time (the traffic on 24 is pretty ridiculous during rush hour) and $$ (i'll already be in some pretty serious debt by the time i graduate); both of which are unfortunately at a premium when you're in law school...at least that's what I hear. I'll probably end up joining the Cal judo club and trying to see if there are any bjj folks who meet informally to roll, etc. It'll suck b/c i've been training pretty much balls out for 2 years and I'm going to have to ease up a bit, but c'est la vie. Good luck with your plans...26 isn't too late for an MBA program. they generally expect you to have a fair amount of work experience beforehand anyway.

Didn't know you were from the area. Cal also has a club boxing program and I think some guys in there grapple too as they're interested in MMA. You can try checking that out. It's damn cheap to join.

Back