Ubuntu In Talks With Dell, HP and ASUS And Others For Linux Tablets

NetGeek

Occupying Sherdog
Reaction score
Ubuntu is blowing people away with their port of Ubuntu Linux for tablets. At CES they will be demonstrating their latest work running on tablets. Vedors have been very impressed by what they have been showing off in private. This is not a lightweight version of Ubuntu its a full blown version carrying all the features. CES will be a big show for Ubuntu.

ubuntut.jpg

i don't get the appeal of the tablet. anyone want to enlighten me on what makes them so great?

i don't get the appeal of the tablet. anyone want to enlighten me on what makes them so great?

Portability and functionality make it better then phones for displaying text and graphics. Many will soon offer spoken word commands for writing small documents and letters. Pretty soon you will not even need to bring up the keyboard and just speak commands to it. Better for watching videos and gaming then phones.

They are better for gaming mostly

Portability and functionality make it better then phones for displaying text and graphics. Many will soon offer spoken word commands for writing small documents and letters. Pretty soon you will not even need to bring up the keyboard and just speak commands to it. Better for watching videos and gaming then phones.

sounds like it has some interesting/useful functions. i've thought about getting one in the past, but i doubt i'd use it that much. people who have them probably use them all the time though.

depends what games you're into, no? i don't think you could play borderlands 2 with decent specs on there could you?

Better for pick up and play games like you would play on a mobile phone. Also more portable than a laptop.

My friend has one but he never uses it, its mostly just for his son to play Angry Birds on.

I have a smartphone and a laptop so I dont need/want a tablet.

Better for pick up and play games like you would play on a mobile phone. Also more portable than a laptop.

My friend has one but he never uses it, its mostly just for his son to play Angry Birds on.

that's what i'm afraid of.

i'm not a fan of mobile games. i prefer ones with a larger scope, but that's not to say there isn't a market for them. i just can't see spending $500+ dollars just for that. i think it's also a status thing: "oh, look at me, i have an ipad (or what have you)." yeah lady, you're real cool.

Ubuntu is blowing people away with their port of Ubuntu Linux for tablets. At CES they will be demonstrating their latest work running on tablets. Vedors have been very impressed by what they have been showing off in private. This is not a lightweight version of Ubuntu its a full blown version carrying all the features. CES will be a big show for Ubuntu.

ubuntut.jpg

I predict this will fail miserably. Every time I've tried to show Ubuntu to your average joe or jane they don't know how to use it and lose interest.

Hopefully they get a deal worked out soon. I'm running Ubuntu on my Asus Transformer and it works, not great, but enough to get by and in my eyes it's still better than Android. I didn't like Android as an OS other than for phones.
I really wish someone would come out with a touchscreen lightweight netbook, I had high hopes for the Transformer with the dock but couldn't get over the Android part.

I like the "Adult" icon. Does it take you to your pron folder or what?

that's what i'm afraid of.

i'm not a fan of mobile games. i prefer ones with a larger scope, but that's not to say there isn't a market for them. i just can't see spending $500+ dollars just for that. i think it's also a status thing: "oh, look at me, i have an ipad (or what have you)." yeah lady, you're real cool.

There are some decent games on mobile. Look up "Shadowgun," "Modern Combat 4," "Lily," or "Real Racing 3." There are plenty of games with a larger scope than Angry Birds. Square Enix has plenty of ports to mobile and Sega has some as well, like Sonic 4.

Another over-powered device for my converted hipster friends to try and show me dumb games and recently hashed 'beats' while I'm just trying to have a beer and hit on ugly women. Great.

You can already send written messages from a little smart phone to each other, so why cant a tablet just send some text to the printer? Your little itty bitty smartphone, can send pix, scan documents and send, so what is taking the tablet which is bigger so much time? I guess they want to leach us out slowly, take that time to tapp dat azz.

What kind of games can be played on the Tablet? Can you play playstation or xbox games on it?

What kind of games can be played on the Tablet? Can you play playstation or xbox games on it?

Hardly anything of worth. Those posters are exaggerating.

I have the latest iPad and it is absolute shit at running games. The App Store has ZERO games like you see on the 360 or PS3. Graphics processing is fucking terrible on the iPad; do not get me started.

If you want a mobile device that plays anything like your PS3, get a Vita.

Back