Tyson-Spinks.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Why was Tyson able to beat Spinks so quickly? Was it because Spinks was afraid, or was Tyson just a bad style match-up for him?

I honestly don't know if it would haven been much different if Spinks weren't afraid. Tyson was bigger and stronger than him.

Why was Tyson able to beat Spinks so quickly? Was it because Spinks was afraid, or was Tyson just a bad style match-up for him?

I honestly don't know if it would haven been much different if Spinks weren't afraid. Tyson was bigger and stronger than him.
I think Spinks had a combination of things he was dealing with. 1st he was facing the most devastatingly explosive Heavyweight history had ever seen to that point and that guy was in his most peak prime. Knowing that fact presents an ominus opponent to deal with. There's one thing when having caution for facing the toughest opponennt youve ever faced and respecting his prowess. Its another to then know you're gonna be facing a crazy streetborn thug motherfucker that would just as soon stab you in an alley or kick your ass in a ring in front of millions. By the time Michael Spinks stepped in the ring with Mike, he didnt so much as roll over for Tyson, but he was definitely looking for a way out as soon as the inevitable caught up with him, (which was Mike Tyson hitting him). I think he was worrying about all those other things and didnt bother to really try to compete. He didnt want to be in there, I think he was concerned for his life, because Mike WAS the boogieman. Not to mention, Tyson was so damn good at that moment.
Scared is just a watered down way to say it. It was so much more than just that..

Last edited:
Watch Tyson's ring entrance and then Spinks' reaction when he arrives, you'll have your answer.

i never did understand how they built that fight up, i thought it was a blowout from the day I heard of it being made. Not even that impressive really, small, lightheavyweight who beat an old disinterested Larry Holmes and Gerry Cooney against a fast starting, high strung, explosive puncher . Spinks was kinda like Ruiz, he'd frustrate a normal fighter but if you just knocked the shit out of him, he wouldn't get a chance to do that.

People underplay it to discredit Tyson, like they do with almost all of his opposition.

Spinks will never be remembered for how good he is because of how utter his destruction was at the hands of Tyson. Spinks was legit. Tyson was a surging force of nature at the time.

Ironically, this proved to be the high water mark for Tyson. He started making lazy moves in the ring slowly and subtly after this fight.

Spinks will never be remembered for how good he is because of how utter his destruction was at the hands of Tyson. Spinks was legit. Tyson was a surging force of nature at the time.

Ironically, this proved to be the high water mark for Tyson. He started making lazy moves in the ring slowly and subtly after this fight.
i was never impressed, and i've never been convinced by fighters who win by a lot of early kayoes, it's one dimension of the game.

Spinks is one of the greatest LHWs of all time. Against Tyson, aside from being terrified, he faced a guy that was fast, hard punching, and more imposing physically. After this fight Tyson split with his original team to sign with King, so in my opinion on this night he was at his peak, not so much because he faced a great opponent but because he began to lose the discipline and dedication that made him great.

Spinks is one of the greatest LHWs of all time. Against Tyson, aside from being terrified, he faced a guy that was fast, hard punching, and more imposing physically. After this fight Tyson split with his original team to sign with King, so in my opinion on this night he was at his peak, not so much because he faced a great opponent but because he began to lose the discipline and dedication that made him great.
great small man against a naturally greater talent who was bigger, what's the surprise. Spinks was slow of foot and hand, never really packed a punch at heavyweight and hadn't shown he could absorb a heavyweights punishment. Holmes really should have never lost to him in the first place but Larry took him for granted the first time, talked enough shit to lose a close decision the next. anyone remember?

i was never impressed, and i've never been convinced by fighters who win by a lot of early kayoes, it's one dimension of the game.
Tyson had plenty of late T/KOs that came on his conquest of the HWT division that led to his devastating KO of Spinks.

Tyson had plenty of late T/KOs that came on his conquest of the HWT division that led to his devastating KO of Spinks.
sure, he had a small spate of decisions sprinkled in there too, he wasn't george foreman no, but the perforamnce we're discussing proved nothing to me. he did what he should have done. go out and blitz him, he's faster, stronger, bigger, hits harder, younger, just take him out.

Bad matchup against a formidable opponent. Spinks wasn't in his best shape ever. That's still a great win for Tyson.

Spinks was an undefeated gold medalist. He broke Larry Holmes win streak and won the rematch. It is a very good win for Tyson. Spinks did not have the correct skill set to deal with Tyson, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great fighter.

For those who don't know:

Mike Spinks was 31 years old , Undefeated with 31 wins /21 by KO going into that fight.
This was his last fight ever - he has never been seen again.

For those who don't know:

Mike Spinks was 31 years old , Undefeated with 31 wins /21 by KO going into that fight.
This was his last fight ever - he has never been seen again.

Wow, thats cool fact i didn't know, anybody know why he suddenly quit after 1 loss?

Was sad he quit after that fight. after 1 loss ........

Sports_Illustrated_702607_19880620-001-250.jpg

I remember reading this issue... In it his daughter said (and I am not making this up, because it shocked me at the time..), "He's gonna hurt you daddy. Hurt you bad..."

"Who's gonna hurt me..?"

"The BAD man. (Tyson)

I think Spinks had a combination of things he was dealing with. 1st he was facing the most devastatingly explosive Heavyweight history had ever seen to that point and that guy was in his most peak prime. Knowing that fact presents an ominus opponent to deal with. There's one thing when having caution for facing the toughest opponennt youve ever faced and respecting his prowess. Its another to then know your gonna be facing a crazy streetborn thug motherfucker that woukd just as soon stab you in an alley or kick your ass in a ring in front of millions. By the time Michael Spinks stepped in the ring with Mike, he didnt so much as roll over for Tyson, but he was definitely looking for a way out as soon as the inevitable caught up with him, (which was Mike Tyson hitting him). I think he was worrying about all those other things and didnt bother to really try to compete. He didnt want to be in there, I think he was concerned for his life, because Mike WAS the boogieman. Not to mention, Tyson was so damn good at that moment.
Scare is justy a watered down way to say it. It was so much more than just that..

That's what I don't get. He had fought Gerry Cooney prior to that , who reportedly punched harder.

Back