Tyson-Spinks.

Spinks got caught early... that's all. Could have been a very different fight if Spinks had survived into the 2nd and got his wits about him.

i never did understand how they built that fight up, i thought it was a blowout from the day I heard of it being made. Not even that impressive really, small, lightheavyweight who beat an old disinterested Larry Holmes and Gerry Cooney against a fast starting, high strung, explosive puncher . Spinks was kinda like Ruiz, he'd frustrate a normal fighter but if you just knocked the shit out of him, he wouldn't get a chance to do that.
Tyson built that fight up. Every Tyson fight was an event.

That's what I don't get. He had fought Gerry Cooney prior to that , who reportedly punched harder.
Cooney only had the punch. Tyson at the time had it all...hand and foot speed, power in a variety of punches, all time best movement, great chin and a mean streak that had guys scared shitless before the fight. Spinks was a great fighter, not a great heavyweight and fact is he was not blessed with the tools to beat Tyson. He didn’t have the power to earn Tyson’s respect, he had a weird “herky-jerky” type of movement, but not the foot speed to get out of range and did not possess a good jab. Fact is he did not have anything to keep Tyson off of him and against prime Tyson that spells disaster.

this was a ppv event, most of his fights at that time were on hbo, not worth paying for, especially in those days when you had to actually go out and watch a fight on a tiny screen in a big hall with too much noise to hear any of the commentating.

Cooney only had the punch. Tyson at the time had it all...hand and foot speed, power in a variety of punches, all time best movement, great chin and a mean streak that had guys scared shitless before the fight. Spinks was a great fighter, not a great heavyweight and fact is he was not blessed with the tools to beat Tyson. He didn’t have the power to earn Tyson’s respect, he had a weird “herky-jerky” type of movement, but not the foot speed to get out of range and did not possess a good jab. Fact is he did not have anything to keep Tyson off of him and against prime Tyson that spells disaster.

cooney was a headcase, holmes ruined what could have been a real career, he couldn't come back from that.

Spot ON.

i was never impressed, and i've never been convinced by fighters who win by a lot of early kayoes, it's one dimension of the game.
Oh yeah, you're the guy that gives no credit to boxers unless they've won bloodbath wars by the skin of their teeth numerous times.

Oh yeah, you're the guy that gives no credit to boxers unless they've won bloodbath wars by the skin of their teeth numerous times.
oh yea, that's always been the criteria but you don't know that. Many other of tysons fights that weren't bloodbaths were a lot more entertaining and impressive.

give some credit to eddie futch too, it was he who kept Mike away from anyone dangerous at HW and didn't put him in that HBO tournament because he knew there was a good chance that Mike would lose before the big money fight. Same thing he did with frazier when they had a hw tournament to determine Ali's successor, Frazier was probably the best out of them all but why fight multiple guys when you can wait for the winner of the tournament to fight him and take all the marbles?

give some credit to eddie futch too, it was he who kept Mike away from anyone dangerous at HW and didn't put him in that HBO tournament because he knew there was a good chance that Mike would lose before the big money fight. Same thing he did with frazier when they had a hw tournament to determine Ali's successor, Frazier was probably the best out of them all but why fight multiple guys when you can wait for the winner of the tournament to fight him and take all the marbles?
Stop it! There was no "good chance that Mike would lose..." he was a game destroyer for anyone in the HW division at the time. Stop discounting how good he was.

i would never discount Tyson, he was bad, but that win meant nothing.

Stop it! There was no "good chance that Mike would lose..." he was a game destroyer for anyone in the HW division at the time. Stop discounting how good he was.
Hw division at the time? How about alltime?

I think as good as Spinks was and he was coined as the giant-killer, and the way Mike ran though him like the rest of the division was impressive. It's not like he KO'd a bum in record breaking time. He did that to Spinks

Last edited:
are we still beating this dead horse?

are we still beating this dead horse?

You'posted in this thread more than anyone else in the last 7 days, you are beating the dead horse, and keeping it alive at the same time

when i see the orange thing and see ive been quoted i usually respond but after a point i stop, things always get personal past that point.

Michael Spinks has always been one of my favorite boxers for what he accomplished as an Olympian, his amazing LHW run and his added succes at HW. I often bring up Spinks when talking boxing with people, this loss is often all they remember. Funny how things have a way of coming full circle, since a lot of folks mostly remember Tyson's career lows at this point as well: the Buster loss and eargate.

In retrospect.... But Spinks was considered a world beater at the time, the fight was intriguing enough. BUT being one of the Greatest Heavyweights of All-Time at that particular moment meant he was gonna roll through ANYBODY that night (maybe even Ali).
But I get it, you KO someone in under 90 seconds, that guy was obviously a bum.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back