Tyron Woodley 'Tapped to Strikes' from UFC to Fight Leon Edwards

Where do you rank Woodley on the all-time UFC greatest WW list?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UFC Brass Gave Woodley An Ultimatum

“Tyron was trying to make excuses of why he shouldn’t come overseas and why he didn’t want to come to London,” Leon Edwards told MMA Junkie. “The UFC had to force him into it. They gave him no choice but to take the fight. He was forced into it.

“I went to Vegas and I had a meeting with Sean Shelby and Dana White and they were saying, ‘You’ve got no other options.’ He would fight me or they were going to move him out of the rankings. He had no choice. He had to take the fight. There’s no other way for him to go. He can’t wait out for a title shot because that’s not going to happen.

“It’s easy to wind him up. It’s easy to get into his head. I’ve got no problem playing that all the way through fight camp. It’s fun. He’s taking it seriously. His music is (expletive), so I don’t know why he’s getting mad.

“After this fight I’ll be ranked No. 1 and on a nine-fight win streak. That’s second most to the champion right now. There’s no bigger fight. I would have loved the title fight or (Jorge) Masvidal, but this is the next best thing. Fighting Tyron Woodley, a former world champion . . . some people consider him the best welterweight of all time . . . [like Tyron Woodley].

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/leon-edwards-tyron-woodley-forced-ufc-london-headliner

His music is (Sh*t) ???

How dare you.

Grammy award incoming imo.

Can't blame Woodley. Some of the biggest robberies in UFC history have happened in England. I mean, Bisping got knocked out and still won a decision.

Leon Edwards is on a 9 fight win streak and is further away from a title shot than Conor Mcgregor, who just dusted a shot Cerrone.

This sport is more about popularity and likeability than actual talent.

Can't blame Woodley. Some of the biggest robberies in UFC history have happened in England. I mean, Bisping got knocked out and still won a decision.

I'm still pissed about that robbery. I was watching it live and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It's not often that I feel bad for Anderson Silva.

Not the biggest fan of TWood, but I saw him winning by KO

Then if Jorge loses, can pair him up with Leon

not the biggest Leon Edwards fan but im rooting for em here

GOAT WW al time imo.

#1 GSP

#2 Hughes
#3 Usman
#4 Shield
#5 T-Wood

Very true, and also his fight with Matt Hamill was a stone cold robbery, I personally had it 3-0 for Hamill and I know many others did too, and a lot had it 2-1 for Hamill at the very worst.

UFC need to throw these ultimatums around more often. Still don't believe Tyron will make the walk though.

702_Anderson_Silva_vs_Michael_Bisping.0.0.jpg

It's almost been a year since he lost his title decisively so he really shouldn't have the leverage to wait it out. I think the problem is partly due to the rankings themselves still listing him at #1 even though he hasn't fought since. Once a champ loses they should be dropped down more than that I'd say. Like 2-3 places. Otherwise you get someone like Yoel Romero who has lost 2 in a row and 2 championship fights but is STILL in the top 3 so he's perpetually next in line but it's kinda crap when the same fighters are always at the top no matter what actually happens in a fight.

Leon Edwards is on a 9 fight win streak and is further away from a title shot than Conor Mcgregor, who just dusted a shot Cerrone.

This sport is more about popularity and likeability than actual talent.

Yeah that's why it's hard to take ufc seriously. Even in more popular sports ranking are respected.

It's hard for me to give woodley too much credit for a draw and then a boring close win against the same guy in his first 2 title defenses, holding out for a year waiting for a title fight, a boring albeit tactical win over maia and beating an over hyped and rushed darren till.

Yeah that's be overly critical.
He ran off 3 title defenses.
He's number 5 to me.
GSP, Hughes (and I like woodley as a human being more than hughes but credit where its due.), Robbie, Rory, Woodley.

Usman, if he gets healthy will quickly jump ahead to number #2 with a few more top 5 wins. Colby can climb the list easily too.

#5 all time is nothing to scoff at. But all that #1 talk was just silly imo. I don't think he highlanders robbie's accomplishments with a 2 min KO win when he's a power puncher. He was dominated by Rory when they fought for 3 rounds and Rory was 2 close loses to Robbie from being a legend in that division. Hughes may not be a good person but he accomplished more in the UFC than the others. And GSP... how is there even a comparison. Scroll the page. Everyone else has 5 or so mentionable wins mixed in with losses.

Woodley's career isn't done. He just needs to keep fighting. He was dominated at the peak of his supposed prime though. I ultimately think we'll remember him and Robbie in the same light. They kept the belt warm for a few years between dominant champions and gave a few good fights along the way. We'll see though.

Get on the plane Woodley fight that man do your job instead of all them other part-time jobs you've been doing if you win you back IN! If you don't you got all them part-time jobs to fallback on like a hardworking Jamaican with 10 jobs...

Very true, and also his fight with Matt Hamill was a stone cold robbery, I personally had it 3-0 for Hamill and I know many others did too, and a lot had it 2-1 for Hamill at the very worst.

Also, let's not forget his first title "defense"

FcmFTh4.jpg

Back