tweaking my program

nrs02004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been working on the 5x5 program suggested by Bill Starr, and had a few questions about possible tweaks to my program:

1) I read that a person isn't supposed to deadlift more than every other week. Would it make any sense to alternate between full deadlifts and straight leg deadlifts by week? Or was the deadlifting thing I read misinformed?

2) Bill Starr mentions that if you feel like your OHP is lagging behind your bench you can switch and instead of a Monday/Friday bench and wednesday OHP, you can do a M/F OHP and wednesday bench. If I were to do that would I still do only 4 sets / 3-5 minute rests for OHP each time (as suggested in the original program in the S&P FAQ) or do the 5x5 with 5-7 min rests/pyramids on monday? Also would you say my OHP is seriously lagging behind (enough to switch) if I max bench 260 for 5 reps and max OHP 125ish for 5 reps?

Thanks in advance!

BTW just switched to 5x5's / working my legs at all, and I must say it is kind of amazing... Though I do regret no longer being allowed to throw feces at zoo-goers like I could back when I was a curlmonkey :icon_chee.

1) No you can deadlift every week.

2) Yes I think your OHP is lagging and you should switch them for a little bit. You would do them as per the BP rep scheme and the BP as the OHP rep scheme, because now the OHP is your main lift and the BP is not. So yeah OHP for 5x5.

thx for the responses :0)

I forgot my curls in your other pair of pants, sry.

I'll switch up the OHP for BP this week!

thx for the responses :0)

I forgot my curls in your other pair of pants, sry.

I'll switch up the OHP for BP this week!

I'd honestly switch them for atleast a month if you want your OHP to go up. Your BP certainly wont go down. Basically I'd go until you stall on the OHP then swithc the focus again.

Back