Turtling Good/Bad Idea?

he is playing alot more half guard now. I guess he sorta found his glass ceiling with the turtle.

Did he say this in an interview? Or is it from watching his most recent matches? Could you provide the videos that led to such a conclusion? (Mostly because I love watching Telles, not because I'm being shitty)

I use in in BJJ - only as a transition though...

+1 for this, great advice

there is a reason why even telles stopped turtling like he used to

I believe one of the reasons that he stopped using it is because they would not award sweep points for sweeps initiated from turtle because it is not a position of guard.

The only time I ever turtle is if I can't escape from under mount/side control from traditional techniques or when my guard is about to be passed. When I do turtle, I never ever ever hang out there. Its turtle than roll immediately to regain guard or get to my feet.

this is 100% exactly how I use turtle.

+1 for this, great advice

I believe one of the reasons that he stopped using it is because they would not award sweep points for sweeps initiated from turtle because it is not a position of guard.

Exactly. He said it in an interview somewhere.

yup the points thing sucks about it. Recently I have been using it a lot IF/WHEN someone gets mount. Before they can get their points, I spin to turtle, protect my neck, wait for either a) a leg to be exposed for me to spind and grab and take down or b) wait for them to position just a little too higher and then pop out the back door. Worst case scenario they roll me back and I ball up really tight and continue over my shoulder and end up scrambling for a north south position.

there is a reason why even telles stopped turtling like he used to

Not really. Ive seen him roll a couple of months ago and he was giving his back and turtling to all of our best guys without him being in any danger.

Back