Turtle Position

LordarshynBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering what everyone likes to do from turtle position?

A lot of times I go to turtle when someone pushes me too far back when I am using Spider Guard, or when someone is about to pass my guard.

Usually I will grab a leg and try a single or double leg. It seems to work sometimes, but other times I end up getting choked.

anyways, I don't think I will abandon that technique all together, but I am looking for some alternatives. So what works for you? What is highest percentage? What is lowest?

Videos are appreciated, but not necessary.

A lot of times I do wrestling techniques. Granby's, Peterson Rolls, Switch, Sit outs.

Spinning kimura is always a fun one to try.

But typically, and against good quality opponents I try to make space and face them.

A lot of times I do wrestling techniques. Granby's, Peterson Rolls, Switch, Sit outs.

Spinning kimura is always a fun one to try.

But typically, and against good quality opponents I try to make space and face them.

I don't know if you train in the gi, but if you do, do you know of a way to hit Petersons without getting caught in a crucifix? I'm fine no-gi, but I get stuck sometimes when I try it in the gi. Maybe just grab the pant leg? I'm interested to see what others do.

Yeah, I don't try any of that stuff Gi. I just try to roll through or flatten out to any type of guard. Too many chokes from that position with a gi.

Get the hell out of there is what I like to do.

Turtle and roll to guard? Beware of the turtle position now, someones gonna "Galvao" you hahaha. ah can't wait til someone turtles in the gym, I've been practicing on my balance ball haha.

I don't know if you train in the gi, but if you do, do you know of a way to hit Petersons without getting caught in a crucifix? I'm fine no-gi, but I get stuck sometimes when I try it in the gi. Maybe just grab the pant leg? I'm interested to see what others do.

with a gi just get a good grip on the pant leg and then after the roll get your hips away from your opponent and get your balls to the mat. Where the top man positions himself decides what I do from turtle. If they galvao me (knee riding the back I fake a wrestling standup and then either gramby or turtle roll to face them. If they put their knee in on one side I look for stepping behind the legs and sweeping back. ...actually there is so much to do, that I couldn't tell you how to do them all right. I think Josh Russel has a dvd that has a lot of great turtle attacks and reversals.

If I am facing them, I do a sit out or arm spin sit out.

If they have my back in side ride, I will do a kneeling version of soto makikomi. I just secure their elbow when they try to grab my far side collar and roll. Marcus Soares showed as a really cool variation on that and when I can access my training blog, I will post my notes from the seminar on that technique. I can't access it from work so just click on the webpage button below, if you don't want to wait.

If they have their hooks in, I try and get an arm to the opposite side of my head and then post up on my head and feet. I throw them off me with a opposite side seoi nage.

If he leaves one leg between my legs from behind, I might roll into a knee bar but I don't do that as often.

Careful - Next time you turtle, some dude might start break dancing on you back.

Here are the notes I have from Marcus Soares turtle escapes.
Turtle escape

You are turtled with opponent on your side. Use opposite hand to defend collar choke. Assuming he is on your right side, grab his right sleeve as he tries to get the choke. Secure it tight to you. Reach between his legs with your right hand and wrap it over and around his ankle. Suck that back in and grab his right sleeve with your right hand. Secure his left elbow with your left elbow. Flatten out you legs (or at least you left leg) and roll him over you. Secure side control.

Turtle escape 2 hook in

Grab right sleeve with left hand and with the right hand as High as you can on the shoulder, Push it way and to the left until it is the left side of your head. Secure it tight. Bridge up on you head and feet and he will slide down your back, Kick leg out to remove the hook and then start to rotate around as you suck his arm in and move to side control.

Since I'm a wrestler I usualy sit out. It works pretty well.

I have a great way to get somebody out of the turtle. Take your elbow and dig it straight down into the middle of thier back (Very bottom of shoulder blade level). Watch em scamper. That friggin hurts!

Since I'm a wrestler I usualy sit out. It works pretty well.

I have a great way to get somebody out of the turtle. Take your elbow and dig it straight down into the middle of thier back (Very bottom of shoulder blade level). Watch em scamper. That friggin hurts!

Trash.

im not a big fan of being in any sort of turtle posistion

roll out and pull the dude into guard, thats the typical protocol at least.

I practice the turtle guard and back defenses as much as I can in practice. There are many sweeps from the turtle guard and counters. I love watching Telles' DvDs, because he is a master of the turtle guard. He shows some really effective and simple sweeps, from every position or variation. I also like to escape back to my feet, if it's MMA, or transition back to my guard.

well just watch the master of the turtle position in action in any of his many Pride Fights

Sakuraba, he was the master of the turtle position ... did it so often, against so many Gracies ( and other highly skilled BJJ fighters ) and never got in any danger of a RNC ( or any other kind of submission ) from that position.

Back