Turkish Get-Ups

G

Gavin LeFever

How do you value these? They are fun and challenging if you have some really heavy DBs.

Everyone lists them as a core exercise, but the only limiting factor is keeping my arm locked out during the movement. It looks like there's a lot of oblique work, but I don't feel anything other than my shoulder stabilizing.

Do you do these often? What kind of rep schemes? I think I might just do these once or twice a week since I can do them at home. My workouts are usually me picking a squat + push + pull + core + grip, but you can see I often need to cut some gym time; I can just do these like homework.

I did them for the first time this week.

WT x L/R
45x5/5 (1/4 bw)
60x5/5 (1/3 bw)
90x3/3 (1/2 bw)

Next time I'll try to do a pyramid at similar intervals (8@45, 6@60, 4@90, 3@?, 2@?, 1@135).

Where is Xtrainer when you need him?

I do like 5 singles on each side. Not enough probably.

I think the core aspect involves keeping yourself under the weight (or the weight above you), because if it goes off balance then your arm falls.

I highly value any variation of a Get-up. I include them once a week for strength purposes, and intermittently for conditioning. For strength, I prefer to work with singles, doubles, and triples, and for conditioning I like using them in density blocks.

I think the reason they are a core exercise is that all of the movement should be generated in the core, up until the point where you are ready to stand, at which point the entire core should be braced.

I go lighter weights with more dynamic movements for my tastes.
In other words, I kind of "hop" from the half sitting up posture to a atg squat position and then pop to standing, back down, repeat.
Maybe 10 reps each side.

It's not a heavy lifting thing for me, but I'd like to try heavier weights to see how it goes.

I do it as fast as possible, only slowing for stabilization as needed.

I don't see how this could be much of a cardio device, though, without losing form and getting all sloppy. Well, I could see it, but that's not my preference with this kinda stuff.

Where and why are you hopping? I think of it like I'm running, almost. Punch the DB to the sky so hard you're on your feet before you know it, but I'm hitting all the little steps on the way.

- Press DB from chest
- Serratus crunch sit-up
- Roll to elbow
- Roll to hand
- Roll to knee (aka leg comes through)
- Stand

You're on your feet before you finish your exhale.

Do you also lower back down with the db? Or reset from the ground each time? My homegym isn't really up to exceptional standards, floor wise, so I don't do them anymore. Occasionally I'll do it out of curiosity but never routinely.

How do you value these? They are fun and challenging if you have some really heavy DBs.

Everyone lists them as a core exercise, but the only limiting factor is keeping my arm locked out during the movement. It looks like there's a lot of oblique work, but I don't feel anything other than my shoulder stabilizing.

Do you do these often? What kind of rep schemes? I think I might just do these once or twice a week since I can do them at home. My workouts are usually me picking a squat + push + pull + core + grip, but you can see I often need to cut some gym time; I can just do these like homework.

I did them for the first time this week.

WT x L/R
45x5/5 (1/4 bw)
60x5/5 (1/3 bw)
90x3/3 (1/2 bw)

Next time I'll try to do a pyramid at similar intervals (8@45, 6@60, 4@90, 3@?, 2@?, 1@135).

Where is Xtrainer when you need him?

LoL, as soon as I saw this thread I got excited.

Turkish get-ups are one of the very few lifts that I'm naturally good at, so I like them. A lot.

Yes, limiting factor for me is certainly arm/shoulder, but there's still plenty of core involved. Before I hit 95lbs succeesfully, I got these weird back/oblique cramps, probably from the extended period of high tension.

Because they demand so much, I usually only do them once a week, heavy, low reps, trying to schedule them so they don't interfere with bench or OHP.

One thing that helps me: Focus on pushing through lockout. If you let your arm bend even a fraction on an inch on a heavy get-up, you will fail, usually in the final transition to standing (I come to my knees first).

Fight_song, that's awesome for a first attempt. You're doing 5lbs less than my PR for three reps on your first attempt? Everyone should be asking you for training advice!

I do it once a week like this:

5 reps with left arm
5 reps with right arm
5 reps with left arm
5 reps with right arm

Last time I was doing it with 14kg (30,8lb). I try to increase by 2kg everytime I do it, but I may start to stall soon... So far I do feel more challenged with my shoulders, but I also feel my core working on this. I think the most important thing is to keep the arm straight, else I feel like my arms start to do the job instead of my abs.

As for form I do this:

-put one leg under the other
-get up on one foot and one knee
-get standing by helping me with my other hand
-get straight, as the last moved usually let me bent on the side

Also I do it once a week in a cardio way (50 reps in 20mn at 6kg or 8kg). It's true the form is sloppy, but with that small a weight, I don't think it's a problem...

I was considering doing complexes of turkish + DB snatches, too, anybody tried it?

fightsong said:
Where and why are you hopping?

So from roughly here:

tgu1.jpg

I hop to here:

one-arm_dumbbell_snatch.jpg

I'm doing the exercise for wrestling / judo agility. Not really cardio or strength I guess. Scrambling from on ground to standing.

I really need to reincorporate these, I quit them when I switched gyms. Actually, I think I'd like to do them using a barbell. Can't imagine the stress that'd play on the body.

I was considering doing complexes of turkish + DB snatches, too, anybody tried it?

Yeah, and it's awesome... Start with the snatch or clean&press, never lower the DB/KB, and then get down, and get back up, repeat or switch arms, etc, never put the weight down. Pick an amount of time or # of reps and complete at all costs physically/mentally. This will rape your soul.

Yeah, and it's awesome... Start with the snatch or clean&press, never lower the DB/KB, and then get down, and get back up, repeat or switch arms, etc, never put the weight down. Pick an amount of time or # of reps and complete at all costs physically/mentally. This will rape your soul.

I saw something like this on "Minute of Strength w. PUNCH GYM" (not a bad site, imo).

High Pull, Snatch, TGDown, TGUp, (switch hands, or keep same) High Pull, Snatch, TGD, TGU, etc. etc.

I might have my class do that on wednesday. I am looking for a good GPP that has TGUs. My class has done "Ross's Magic 50" @25%bw and @33%bw just fine. I wonder what % and reps would be good for this. Maybe I'll do 25%, then 33% the next week, but I don't know about the rep scheme.

Sometime along the line, I'm going to have everyone do goblet squats with a DB@50%bw for Tabata protocol.

In case you're wondering, I teach a KB/no-gi class (slowly turning into a MMA class as people improve) and our opener is a GPP/cardio device of my choosing.

It started when the heavier guys (200~) started complaining about jumping rope was banging up their knees and some guys were getting shin splints, even though we don't do much and we're jumping on wrestling mats.

Before, we always did some rounds of jump rope, then some rounds of med ball passing with shadow boxing.

We kept that for once a week, but I added in the Ross 50 on Mondays and it has been a good effect so far. Done it for like 3 weeks now and I'm doing it again today. I'm going to look into maybe a different Ross GPP for next week though so we don't get bored.

The Ross 50
- 5 db snatch left
- 5 db snatch right
- 5 db swing left
- 5 db swing right
- 10 burpees (I let the guys do sprawl+jumps if they prefer.. same thing in the end)
- 1 min rest

Repeat for 5 rounds using 1/4 or 1/3 of your DB. Aim for best time.

The current jump rope protocol I've been running on Wednesday is this:

5min skipping rope (5 push-ups if someone fails)
2min 15 lbs med ball passes (shadow boxing when you don't have the ball)
5m rope
2m ball (every 3rd mess up are clapping push-ups)
5m rope
2m ball (same)
2m rope (moving the rope as fast as possible, I do doubles the whole time.. this is the tough round)

After both openers, we do a full stretch, then usually grab the pads and get to work for the next 2h30min.

Our equipment is limited. We're in decent fight room with mats and matted walls. We have all the pads I need, but I can't grab barbells, or a chinning bar, or etc, so GPPs with DBs is the best thing right now. We just lack a little variety but the job is ultimately getting done.

The 50
The rope rounds
HP/Sn/TGU Circuit
Tabata Goblet Squats

I think I'll do some normal BW GPP circuits in there.

And I have the sledge hammers, but the tire I have is to flimsy to use, so once I fix that, we'll be in major business.

Back