Turkey Tries To Shutdown Social Media Due To Document Leak

Turkey and Greece were perfect backdoor entry points into the Soviet Union, it was perfectly understandable for NATO to secure such bases.

The US didnt bitched it hard because the invasion was justified, its the occupation which was wrong, and the US seems to not give a fuck about occupiers overstaying.

What EU needs to do is force Erdogan out, not push Turkey into an islamist country.

Yo,

I really do not want to derail the thread but just for the books: a)the role of the US in the area is not as passive as your post suggests. The greek military junta (certainly the main instigator of what happened) was, beyond tacitly approved, actively supported by the US gov (in the form of the CIA) and without the latter's support would have likely crumbled within a couple of years instead of seven. It's hard to say what the US's role was in the cyprus debacle, per se, as these "folders" are not yet declassified (the greek and cypriot side), but it is very unlikely that there was no information about what was going to happen; in fact, americans may have better access to such information at present. My guess would be that the US could pressure for a solution, though this would be both undesirable (to me) and unreasonable a request, in any case.
b) regarding the invasion being "justified": why go down that road? If you justify the invasion, you might as call the greek-cypriot coup that lead to the invasion "justified" as well. Though responsibility lies unequally for the two sides (duh!), neither action was "justified" and both legally and morally in the wrong. If you believe that it was necessary for the protection of the turk-cypriot population, keep in mind that the main bulk of relocation for them took place a year or so after the invasion; I'm sure it wasn't fun but they were neither killed en mass, nor put in "work" camps.
In any case, the situation as it stands is really depressing and no easy solution is in the horizon.

As far as the subject matter is concerned, you really have to feel for the westernised part of turkey (the aegean side). The whole of the balkans is pretty much a repository for nationalist and religious assholes, but at least in greece you only have to deal with scorn, some police brutality and the occasional random massive arrests at rallies, not a concerted effort of the state to shut or lock you up.
No fast solution here either as the majority of the population remains undereducated and the pressure for the radicalisation of religion increases. I really doubt that the EU, in its current semi-kinda form could be of particular help in the short term. A stronger and more centralised EU on the other hand might, though that's nowhere to be seen either.

I remember when Egypt blocked off all internet use a few years ago. Governments try to get away with some scary stuff.

Let them into the EU so they can become more Western.

Let them into the EU so they can become more Western.

I know you are being sarcastic.

If they get into the E.U. , the E.U. will become more Islamic. After decades of Military supported secularism, it only took 1 presidency for the Turkish masses to support Islamism.

Even so called moderate Islamic countries like Malaysia and Indonesia give prominence and special dispensation to Islam. Malaysia even banned Christian Malays from using the name Allah to refer to god. Brunei is going full Florida with their Islamism, they just banned public display of Christmas .

Islam can not co-exist with secularism and free society. Even Muslims say how Islam is a complete manual for life that encompasses all aspects of life.

It should be remembered that the *leftist Turkish press* has leaked these documents, and they were leaked to the press by Turkish military police. As I think somebody mentioned above me, it's a mistake to think all Turks are Erdogan-dolts. There are plenty of Turks who relish their secularist legacy and are disgusted by the turn towards Islamism.

It should be remembered that the *leftist Turkish press* has leaked these documents, and they were leaked to the press by Turkish military police./QUOTE]

The part about being leaked by military police really caught me when I read it. I'd think it shows that the country is still pretty heavily divided.

Just the fact that the military police went out and raided a Turkish Intelligence convoy shows that at least part of the military police must be controlled by ballsy old-guard secularists who are willing to go up against the regime.

Can you imagine the American military police going out and raiding a CIA operation?

Deep divisions indeed ...

Back