• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Turkey shots down Russian Su-24 fighter jet over Syria

Why would you be happy about a hostile fighter/bomber crossing your airspace and refusing to acknowledge warnings?

If the facts remain the same Russia got what was coming to it, they have been doing this for a while, it's not acceptable. All they had to do was respond to the warning, they refused, 10 times.

Pretty sure Turkey has shot down several Russian drones too.

You believe Turkey?

Turkey has let the US use its air bases to launch meaningless attacks. Russia starts doing serious damage and turkey has to help out.

Is Russia threatening everyone else besides the IS?

Why wouldn't I when Russia has been caught doing it in the past, and Russia does not deny their jet was warned and they do not claim they responded to it. Turkey's scenario is the most plausible.

Pretty sure Turkey has shot down several Russian drones too.

And a Syrian Jet, which they may have thought this was, since the Russian jet refused to respond it's hard to say.

Turkey has shot down Greek fighters in the past. Greece is in NATO as well by the way. Turkey is extremely trigger happy (and somewhat over confident).

If Greek fighters violated their airspace and refused multiple warnings then so be it. Greece and Turkey are long time enemies despite being in NATO together.

Turkey, a Nato member, is starting attcking Russian Jets in Syria.
Now Russia need to decide if they want to get angry about this .

Start of WW3 ?

I'm taking fire, call for back up!!!!

With all the NATO forces based in Turkey at the moment, Russia can hardly retaliate.

I may have missed it, but that article doesn't seem to indicate the strength of NATO forces in Turkey.
Also, shooting down a Russian jet (whatever the circumstances turn out to have been) could be construed as an act of aggression, and see Nato forces leaving Turkey in the face of Russian retaliation.

Personally, I don't think Putin will take the bait, though.

Russia doing serious damage ? To who? deff not isis under 20% of their strikes have been isis
The rest have assisted isis in their ridiculous weekend at bernies act with the assas regime

"We should be supporting the Russian air campaign against the IS and all other rebel factions."

Why wouldn't I when Russia has been caught doing it in the past, and Russia does not deny their jet was warned and they do not claim they responded to it. Turkey's scenario is the most plausible.

Are you happy and glad that the plane was shot down? A plane actually trying to end the war?

Turkey should be granting the world it's airspace for air strikes against the IS and friends until the war is over

Think about this for a second. Even if that plane flew into Turkish airspace Turkey should have been happy. We should be supporting the Russian air campaign against the IS and all other rebel factions.

Oh wait this is a massive proxy war isn't it?

You really think Russia is doing any damage to ISIS?

The Czar will be upset. Looks like moderate barbarians captured a glorious Cossack Air pilot then executed him from the pics of a corpse I seen. This video shows the barbarians celebration as they chant Allah Snackbar after they captured the Russian pilot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLIFT6cTkJU

You really think Russia is doing any damage to ISIS?

Once all the other immediate threats are taken care of then I could see Russia bombing the crap out of the IS.

can't forget it's not just the IS and al nusra.

I may have missed it, but that article doesn't seem to indicate the strength of NATO forces in Turkey.
Also, shooting down a Russian jet (whatever the circumstances turn out to have been) could be construed as an act of aggression, and see Nato forces leaving Turkey in the face of Russian retaliation.

NATO already gave Turkey the go ahead to shoot Russian jets violating their airspace after Russia was caught doing it last month.

Given their history, Turkey is being a bit cheeky citing territorial transgressions as justification for this.
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/07/17/turkish-fighter-jets-violate-greek-airspace-again/
That is a long-standing issue involving questionable territorial claims from Greece. Lets just say Greece is not as innocent as it is claimed. Also it has nothing to do with Russia or Turkey's eastern borders.

The past year russians have become increasing belligerent. Violating airspaces, agitating, harassing, being all-around douchebags. I am happy they got what was coming to them. More countries need to step it up and shoot any russian aircraft who are trying to act tough.

Are you happy and glad that the plane was shot down? A plane actually trying to end the war?

Turkey should be granting the world it's airspace for air strikes against the IS and friends until the war is over

No. I would much rather Russia respected other countries.

NATO unity is not what is used to be, especially not in the face of a Soviet threat. It would be interesting how this plays out.

Considering the pilot landed in SYRIA, doesnt that suggest they were over Syria? Could Russia convince the world it has a mandate to retaliate? Will America support Turkey if Europe does not?

It doesn't say, just confirmation from a month ago that NATO is committed to defending Turkey and seemed to be anticipating hostilities from Russia. That they were increasing their readiness.
Elsewhere they stated that they supposedly have 40,000 troops ready to deploy.
This doesn't include all the US, UK and French aircraft and crew, nor the various international special forces "military advisers".
There's been mention of the US increasing their number of aircraft, specifically to defend against Russian incursions into Turkish airspace.

Turkey's NATO membership needs to be revoked. That Islamist Erdogan is going to drag us into WWIII with these stunts, not to mention his support of jiahadists.

Back