• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media (TUF) Whittaker vs Gastelum cardio challenge

Why run 13 laps (5200 metres?), should be illegal!

Bobby Knuckles dusted Kelvin .
I hope the fight bears the same result .
Can't wait for this fight .

Bobby Knuckles dusted Kelvin .
I hope the fight bears the same result .
Can't wait for this fight .
It seems a lot of people still aren't convinced about Whittaker. I'm all in. I think he beats Kelvin.

That was actually interesting

It seems a lot of people still aren't convinced about Whittaker. I'm all in. I think he beats Kelvin.
Whittaker’s the 2 to 1 favourite

Mini Cain got this, is a fight not a race <28>

That was actually interesting

Whittaker’s the 2 to 1 favourite
I guess I'm talking more about fellow Sherdoggers. Reading through threads, Whittaker doesn't really get much credit despite being on a 9 fight win streak and holding the belt.

Kelvin looks like he aged? Or just the weight?

I guess I'm talking more about fellow Sherdoggers. Reading through threads, Whittaker doesn't really get much credit despite being on a 9 fight win streak and holding the belt.
And having a fucking great resume

People who run more than 400 metres are mentally ill

Strength or explosiveness is generally transferable across different activities, but endurance tends to be highly specific. A lot of people tend to think the opposite though for whatever reason.

The biggest factor in endurance at a given activity in fact is the efficiency of your movement engrams; movements that you don't do regularly will have 'low resolution' engrams, grainy and inefficient movement that will quickly burn through your energy.

For example, if you were to take a marathon runner and a tour cyclist and have them do each others activity, they would quickly start huffing and puffing in minutes, where otherwise they would be able to do their familiar activities for hours on end.

That's just with something even so seemingly closely related. The differences can be even more dramatic when doing more complex or open-ended activities (like different facets of the fight game).

Last edited:
Mini Cain by KO, I love Bobby Knuckles but KG’s 1-2 is like a .50cal sniper round

And for christ sakes fighting cardio is definitely different than running cardio; plus we all know Kg balloons up like Duran before his camps

There's only one guy (right now) that I want to see Robert fight and he's the BMMA champ. A fight I'd be so stoked for.
Don't count out Gastellum, though- he's only a +165 underdog for a reason.I see Whitaker beating him but I wouldn't be shocked if........

Athlete that competes for the title cannot run a 5k race without killing himself? God damn, and I thought I was in bad shape.<{cruzshake}>

Strength or explosiveness is generally transferable across different activities, but endurance tends to be highly specific. A lot of people tend to think the opposite though for whatever reason.

The biggest factor in endurance at a given activity in fact is the efficiency of your movement engrams; movements that you don't do regularly will have 'low resolution' engrams, grainy and inefficient movement that will quickly burn through your energy.

For example, if you were to take a marathon runner and a tour cyclist and have them do each others activity, they would quickly start huffing and puffing in minutes, where otherwise they would be able to do their familiar activities for hours on end.

That's just with something even so seemingly closely related. The differences can be even more dramatic when doing more complex or open-ended activities (like different facets of the fight game).

Yes, but running and cycling is a lot more different than running and footwork. Usually fighters (epecially boxers) do a lot of jogging because it resembles footwork a little.

Gastelum not even being able to finish the race is pretty embarrassing. I hope he has confidence in getting his cardio to where it should be before the fight. If he gains too much weight in between camps, then how does he train properly year around?

Also the streak has:
Tavares (though guy)
Uriah Hall (dangerous)
Brunson (made it look easy)
Jacare (made it look easy)
Romero 1 (clear 48-47)
Overweight Romero 2 (I scored as a draw)

He was unlucky that Weidman and Luke shat the bed. He would have beaten both easily and would be the clear #2 MW GOAT.
Just going through Romero twice is impressive as fuck.

Lmao @ a pro athlete unable to run a 5K. I thought even fat Mexicans were supposed to have god level cardio

Yes, but running and cycling is a lot more different than running and footwork. Usually fighters (epecially boxers) do a lot of jogging because it resembles footwork a little.

Gastelum not even being able to finish the race is pretty embarrassing. I hope he has confidence in getting his cardio to where it should be before the fight. If he gains too much weight in between camps, then how does he train properly year around?

In fact, i'd say fighting foot work is often radically different from a normal gait, more so that pedaling is different from running. I mean you can even try it out right now; test going throughout your day today by galloping around without crossing your feet.

A lot of fighters do roadwork anyways though since it's simple and straitforward and what everyone else was doing too. Something like soccer though would probably be closer. Another example might be Vasily Lomachenko's dad (who was a well known coach of olympic boxing in russia/ukraine), who didn't actually have him do things you might think of as 'boxing' as a kid; rather, he put him in dance classes. The jumprope is also a commonly used accessory (the main object here would also be to condition the calves, to build up 'pop' or quicker light footedness in movements).

Many people i think miss the most obvious thing though; if you want to get more efficient at moving around like you do in a fight, actually practice moving the way you move in a fight. Do like that hypothetical test mentioned above; get into your stance, and just start racking up distance, moving while maintaining your stance. Call it 'roadwork plus' if you will.

Last edited:
Mini Cain by KO, I love Bobby Knuckles but KG’s 1-2 is like a .50cal sniper round

And for christ sakes fighting cardio is definitely different than running cardio; plus we all know Kg balloons up like Duran before his camps
Lmao no it’s not. Kelvin knocked out vitor and bisping with that one two. The two semi not broken fighters (Jacare, chris) he didn’t finish them AND LOST. Kelvin will be exposed by Bobby just like he was a mw. He has horrible horrible horrible tucking horrible fight iq and poor pace. Prove me wrong,

Last edited:
Back