Economy Trump can't stop U.S. coal plants from retiring

Throttlehead

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
While this is a good thing, Trump promised the opposite, and right wingers hammered Obama for saying coal was a dead end.

More U.S. coal-fired power plants were shut in President Donald Trump’s first two years than were retired in the whole of Barack Obama’s first term, despite the Republican’s efforts to prop up the industry to keep a campaign promise to coal-mining states.

In total, more than 23,400 megawatts (MW) of coal-fired generation were shut in 2017-2018 versus 14,900 MW in 2009-2012, according to data from Reuters and the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

Trump has tried to roll back rules on climate change and the environment adopted during the Obama administration to fulfill pledges to voters in states like West Virginia and Wyoming.

But the second highest year for coal shutdowns was in Trump’s second year, 2018, at around 14,500 megawatts, following a peak at about 17,700 megawatts in 2015 under Obama.

One megawatt can power about 1,000 U.S. homes.

The number of U.S. coal plants has continued to decline every year since coal capacity peaked at just over 317,400 MW in 2011, and is expected to keep falling as consumers demand power from cleaner and less expensive sources of energy.

Cheap natural gas and the rising use of renewable power like solar and wind have kept electric prices relatively low for years, making it uneconomic for generators to keep investing in older coal and nuclear plants.

Generators said they plan to shut around 8,422 MW of coal-fired power and 1,500 MW of nuclear in 2019, while adding 10,900 MW of wind, 8,200 MW of solar and 7,500 MW of gas, according to Reuters and EIA data.

The predictions come from estimates compiled by Thomson Reuters and U.S. Energy Information Administration data.

Energy companies do what's best for their bottom line. Companies like Duke already shifted toward natural gas production because of their bottom line, not because they give a shit about what the government thinks.

That's awesome. It seems we're inexorably head in the right direction despite our current governance, hopefully we pick up the pace.

It's sad that many voters fell for his sales pitch in the first place.

It would be cool if we weren't stupid bitches in the US and had stuck with nuclear power.

We should 100% invest in wind and solar, the two easiest renewable energy forms to create. I am 100% for nuclear power too, but I just think the political climate is not there to support it. People love nuclear power but then nobody wants to pay for it and nobody wants to deal with the waste. People just wish nuclear power plants magically existed.

He didn't try to do shit. Trump said he wants to help coal miners because those are the uneducated fools that would actually vote for him.

Whatever you say bro. I didn’t realize you were an expert on the subject and had such an intimate knowledge of Trumps intentions.

The grid should be heavily supplemented with solar by now. Other than battery capacity/efficiency the only reason I see for it not being a major contributor to energy needs is the scumbags havent figured out a way to charge (as in $) a self contained system. You poor desert fucks could do it on your own right now. Coal can fuck off already.

Whatever you say bro. I didn’t realize you were an expert on the subject and had such an intimate knowledge of Trumps intentions.

Are you that gullible? Unless you live in a cave all your life, you would know that politicians play to their bases. Trump's base is rural, uneducated, southern, etc. That and the fact that Trump has been saying all kinds of crazy shit and tell lies constantly. Mexico will pay for the wall right? Trump was a New York liberal before he became a Republican. You can't be that dumb.

We should 100% invest in wind and solar, the two easiest renewable energy forms to create. I am 100% for nuclear power too, but I just think the political climate is not there to support it. People love nuclear power but then nobody wants to pay for it and nobody wants to deal with the waste. People just wish nuclear power plants magically existed.
At this point, it might be more cost effective to look for other means than nuclear (ie solar). If we had stuck with nuclear power, we could be in a similar position to France.

The initial cost is high for nuclear plants, but continued operation is comparatively inexpensive even after taking waste disposal into account. It's also worth noting that nuclear waste doesn't go into the air like coal and gas emissions.

I don't think wind is a viable option for providing electricity to substantial populations.

Last edited:
Are you that gullible? Unless you live in a cave all your life, you would know that politicians play to their bases. Trump's base is rural, uneducated, southern, etc. That and the fact that Trump has been saying all kinds of crazy shit and tell lies constantly. Mexico will pay for the wall right? Trump was a New York liberal before he became a Republican. You can't be that dumb.

You seem to be suffering from TDS. Trump could have saved coal and you’d be bitching.

You seem to be suffering from TDS. Trump could have saved coal and you’d be bitching.
MAGA is suffering from it from the day he said he would run. He is a steady stream of bullshit, slogans and cons.

Its ok though, eventually you will be forced to admit it to yourself. As a fine gentleman once said "reality has its way of catching up to you."

At this point, it might be more cost effective to look for other means. If we had stuck with nuclear power, we could be in a similar position to France.

The initial cost is high for nuclear plants, but continued operation is comparatively inexpensive even after taking waste disposal into account. It's also worth noting that nuclear waste doesn't go into the air like coal and gas emissions.

I don't think wind is a viable option for providing electricity to substantial populations, btw.

There is no "waste disposal" with nuclear power. Only waste storage.

Wind is quite viable and used in many places.

It's hard to believe coal miners really believed they had a future. The writing has been on the wall for years.

The economics of clean renewables backed by gas peaking plants and battery (hydro and chemical) are irrefutable.

The environmental stance questions the use of gas but even as a Greenie I support gas peaking plants.

I can't believe there's still advocates for coal in this day and age

Governments can support fledgling businesses into existence, but they can not support dying businesses into viability.

It's not a tough phase for coal, it's structural decline. You can not hold back an ocean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back