Economy Trump can't stop U.S. coal plants from retiring

Not a surprise. I think every person who was halfway rational about the subject knows that coal's place is shrinking. Arguing to prop them up was like arguing to prop up horse drawn carriages.

But, as noted in this thread, there are people who desperately want to believe that the world they live in isn't the real world. That green haired liberals are trying to rob them of jobs and livelihoods for undisclosed reasons. And there will always be a politician pandering to those fears for votes instead of actually helping them transition into sustainable opportunities.

But, as also noted, the economics and innovations in these industries of these things will always win out. They can't be stopped, only slowed down long enough for someone to win an election.

No one can save coal. And if someone voted for someone based on their "save coal" platform, they were sold a bill of goods.

No shit. Automation is our real issue regarding employment. But the average American voter doesn't research, nor use logic.

It's hard to believe coal miners really believed they had a future. The writing has been on the wall for years.

The economics of clean renewables backed by gas peaking plants and battery (hydro and chemical) are irrefutable.

The environmental stance questions the use of gas but even as a Greenie I support gas peaking plants.

Coal miners are in such denial, that when provided with free job training during lay offs many of them chose to take COAL TRAINING.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...meback-miners-reject-retraining-idUSKBN1D14G0

wait wat?

CLEAN COAL isn't making a comeback!???

We should 100% invest in wind and solar, the two easiest renewable energy forms to create. I am 100% for nuclear power too, but I just think the political climate is not there to support it. People love nuclear power but then nobody wants to pay for it and nobody wants to deal with the waste. People just wish nuclear power plants magically existed.

The next development in Power gen is hydrogen. It’s already at the R&D stage and it will help GE come out of its current slump.

He didn't try to do shit. Trump said he wants to help coal miners because those are the uneducated fools that would actually vote for him.
I agree that those voting for Trump thinking he'd look after the common person were foolish, but I don't see the need to put down coal miners, whether they voted for him or not. That's only helping Trump by alienating potential future voters who might go for something different that will actually help them next election. Giving working class people the middle finger is kind of a dick thing to do anyway. They shouldn't be put down for what they do. This elitist sort of attitude turns a lot people off.

I agree that those voting for Trump thinking he'd look after the common person were foolish, but I don't see the need to put down coal miners, whether they voted for him or not. That's only helping Trump by alienating potential future voters who might go for something different that will actually help them next election. Giving working class people the middle finger is kind of a dick thing to do anyway. They shouldn't be put down for what they do. This elitist sort of attitude turns a lot people off.

These rural folks have been giving everyone else the finger for years. Decades of taking more federal dollars than the generate only to continuously call people in the liberal coastal states stupid, gay and don't know anything.

Like I sourced earlier, even when presented with job training many miners refuse to learn new skills to integrate into a modern manufacturing economy. Now THAT is a huge middle finger imo.

Last edited:
We should 100% invest in wind and solar, the two easiest renewable energy forms to create. I am 100% for nuclear power too, but I just think the political climate is not there to support it. People love nuclear power but then nobody wants to pay for it and nobody wants to deal with the waste. People just wish nuclear power plants magically existed.

Salt reactors use nuclear waste and leave very little behind. Technology has come a long way from current reactors.

That's the thing. The left (and right) have provided plenty of programs to help these people move on from coal but there's real resistance from the community and the coal industry. We pay these people to go to job fairs or do training and some of them will run back and do more coal training as if they'll be positioned better to get more coal jobs (which isn't happening). Meanwhile I went out to inspect a production line for one of our contractors because they are making improvements (automation) and the guy performing the install on the machine was Latino and had broken English (difficult to understand). I remember thinking to myself "that's a job any of these buffoons from coal country could have transitioned and learned to do." but no please... take more coal training on our (tax payer's) dime...

There are plenty of jobs out there for the taking but they're not making the efforts to do it...

Coal is still widely used in the US and is one of our bigger exports, regardless of what people like to tell you. We also sit on one of the largest reserves of it. Not sure why people are so against us profiting off of what everyone else uses .

Coal is still widely used in the US and is one of our bigger exports, regardless of what people like to tell you. We also sit on one of the largest reserves of it. Not sure why people are so against us profiting off of what everyone else uses .

Some people care about the environment.

Back