Television True Detective: Night Country- Season 4

I may be in the minority here but I have no problem with how season 1 ended. They got their killer. We still know there are “untouchables” out there that go much higher than the local bayou. Marty reconciles with his family after nearly dying over this case. Rust reconciles his own personal demons after having a near death experience. I’m fine with all that. Seems everyone just wanted Rust to stay miserable and continue being bad at parties, and outside of them.
You're not in the minority. Season 1 was a masterpiece start to finish. The resolution wasn't unsatisfying or cheap at all.

I may be in the minority here but I have no problem with how season 1 ended. They got their killer. We still know there are “untouchables” out there that go much higher than the local bayou. Marty reconciles with his family after nearly dying over this case. Rust reconciles his own personal demons after having a near death experience. I’m fine with all that. Seems everyone just wanted Rust to stay miserable and continue being bad at parties, and outside of them.

you are brave to admit that you are a minority. on Sherdog that means you will be blamed for the next Boeing mishap

Yeah even the critically acclaimed first season had a dud of an ending anti climax. The TV show nikita on the CW had a more climatic ending.
Huh. It had a solid ending with an option to go on...

In fact, they need to keep this simple. Season 1 had a simple story and it worked. Stick with that.

I don't think it bodes well that they are immediately going ahead with another season, they tried that with the second season and we all know how that went. The idea should come before the decision to make another season.

Lopez found a simpler formula. She came up with a very basic story and mystified it with meaningless references to Season 1 and supernatural occurrences that she just never bothered explaining because there never was one.

I suppose this probably won't work again though.

Lopez found a simpler formula. She came up with a very basic story and mystified it with meaningless references to Season 1 and supernatural occurrences that she just never bothered explaining because there never was one.

I suppose this probably won't work again though.
Honestly, I think that was more HBO. The show as pitched as a stand alone mini-series, and HBO said "Let's make it True Detective". So, Im assuming at this point, that the season 1 references were added after it got put under the True Detective banner.

Honestly, I think that was more HBO. The show as pitched as a stand alone mini-series, and HBO said "Let's make it True Detective". So, Im assuming at this point, that the season 1 references were added after it got put under the True Detective banner.

exactly this.

and... it seems to have worked. the series was a critical and ratings success.

So is this thing worth six hours of somebody's life? The thread is crazy long and life is crazy short.

I'll generally donate two hours to something out of trust in Jodie Foster but six is a bit of an ask...

So is this thing worth six hours of somebody's life? The thread is crazy long and life is crazy short.

I'll generally donate two hours to something out of trust in Jodie Foster but six is a bit of an ask...

IMHO, it is not.

I spent half the time on my phone reading reddit reactions to how bad the current episode was, lol.

I actually recently watched "The Night Of" to cleanse my pallet. Damn, that was a fine show.

A lot of the disappointment came from the wild theories everyone was going on about during the season, that I don't even think the show runners intended. I mean, we were in here dissecting the hidden meaning of fridge magnets in the background n' shit. It got a little out of hand, LOL. So when the ending came, and all these crazy theories didn't end up meaning a damn thing, you couldn't help but be a little deflated at the time.

I was disappointed when it first aired, but re-watching without all that shit, the ending is fine.

Overall I'd call it pretty decent. I'm comparing it to other stuff on TV, not stuff like TD season 1.

It's not perfect and there's certainly flaws, but theres far worse 6 hours of TV you could invest in. Like a lot of these types of stories, the payoff isn't as good as the build up.

exactly this.

and... it seems to have worked. the series was a critical and ratings success.
critical success? it's the worst rated season on imdb of the four.
it has the worst rated finale - currently at 5.4 mark, which is abysmal.
even reddit hates it.

calling it a critical success is just unreasonable.
look at the imdb reviews of the finale.

I suppose I never really thought about how it broke down politically. I didnt think it much mattered. Their TV/Movie threads seem to pretty consistently have a negative backlash towards things perceived as woke.

That's because people who insist that entertainment should stubbornly cling to patriarchal, racist norms are incredibly loud. It isn't surprising that cohort is overwhelmingly straight, white and male.

You know what, though? Let them complain. It's entertainment and people have a right to vocalize their objections to what's being offered, that's what drives the market.

As for "woke", that's just the conservative objection to any awareness of racism, which isn't surprising considering how unashamedly white supremacist the west is and has always been.

Back