Trouble with my left kick

JumboJym

White Belt
Reaction score
When I kick with my front/left leg it feels so incredible weak. I'm not talking about a front push kick I mean like a low kick with my front leg. I can get some power with my right leg b/c of all the distance but it feels so awkward with my left leg. You guys got any tips for me ??

if you spar with someone, ask them if it hurts when you hit them with a low kick,

Practice, practice, practice.

Got your right-leg kick down? Devote twice as much training to your left. It's hard, since doing proper kicks is satisfying and doing shitty ones with your off leg makes you feel like a spastic newbie. But that's what it takes.

Otherwise: adapt yur fighting to it. I got good using my right 80%+ of the time. Bill Wallace was a world champion and he hardly ever threw his right, so dominant was he with the left.

Gregster said:
Practice, practice, practice.

Got your right-leg kick down? Devote twice as much training to your left. It's hard, since doing proper kicks is satisfying and doing shitty ones with your off leg makes you feel like a spastic newbie. But that's what it takes.

Otherwise: adapt yur fighting to it. I got good using my right 80%+ of the time. Bill Wallace was a world champion and he hardly ever threw his right, so dominant was he with the left.

I believe Wallace had some sort of injury with his right or something. That was why he didn't throw it.

Gregster is right. You just gotta 'handicap' yourself by forcing yourself to use your left more.

I left footed front kick is suppose to be more of a slapping, annoying kick. The left foot is used mostly for defense, but if you would like to use a left front kick use it for an irritation method. The reason you can not get the power you are looking for is because you are not able to shift your hips for thepower like you can with a right footed low kick. Just keep practicing.

i also think that the front left kick is meant to be more of an annoying hit than anything else. it isnt suppose to hurt, its just suppose to catch the opponent off guard and therefore leave them open for something else. but if you do want to make it a painful shot, you just gotta keep practicing

Try stepping at more of a 45deg. angle with your rear foot, that should get you some more power once your comfortable throwing it.

moodymikey said:
i also think that the front left kick is meant to be more of an annoying hit than anything else. it isnt suppose to hurt, its just suppose to catch the opponent off guard and therefore leave them open for something else. but if you do want to make it a painful shot, you just gotta keep practicing
Well said kind of like a jab kick

I was always told : the front is for speed, the rear is for power. Good for stopping/trapping kicks from your opponent, but don't expect much power from it.

What's all this about the left front kick being weak? Not always. I've sent people sprawling into the ropes and knocked people down with this kick too many times to count. You just need to practice it.

You people are advocating keeping a WEAK leg kick? Are you kidding me?

The first time I sparred i was knocked out by a front leg kick to the face.
In order to get power from the front kick, you have to use it like ive heard a lot of TKDers on this forum suggest, and how i was taught in my Thai gym (Pongsan Ekyotin Thailand and USA champ).

1. This first movement is like a knee. You lift your knee up with your foot and shin relaxed, and thrust your left hip out as far as the distance requires. The harder you thrust, the more forward momentum you will create.

2. This is where sideways momentum comes in. You pivot on the ball of that right foot and WHIP your body (HIPS, CORE, SHOULDERS) to the right, launching your (still rising up) knee to the side, bringing the shin with it for contact.

!: 1 and 2 are done in very smoothe consistents of each other. Practice this with a partner on a large pad or with the thai pads. Prracticing on the bag is hard because your mind doesnt really get the distancing for it yet, nor the angles.

There are exercises that you can do to practice this before actual contact training.
Stand in front of a mirror and do the steps above, pivot on the right foot all the way around (with / without letting your shin come out) and come back to starting position. This will get you used to the motion and logistics.

DO NOT ALLOW WEAKNESS IN YOUR GAME!

I might be wrong but I remember reading a post by a certain bald man from Holland saying you shouldn't pivot with a roundhouse.

AgentZ said:
I might be wrong but I remember reading a post by a certain bald man from Holland saying you shouldn't pivot with a roundhouse.

It's debatable.

AgentZ said:

I, myself, dont want to hear a thing about what you heard. Go train and then document what works for you, so we can actually progress from reading.

As for that being debate-able, its not. People pivot. People plant.

Everyone needs to stop worrying about the status quo of fighting and go fucking train.

Now, about the pivot as it actually relates to the front leg kick:

1. LESS TENSION ON JOINTS: I believe it is dangerous to plant a foot when you are trying to thrust your hips out and whip your body in a circular motion. Your knee and ankle are especially prone joints for injury, and in the case of planting your whole leg while trying to whip your body, it seems especially dangerous. It could be said that it is not necessary to whip the body, and you can just kick your leg...but as i am not a certain bald man from Holland's size, i need AS MUCH POWER AS I CAN GET. And one limb contracting IS NOT ENOUGH!

I have to go eat sushi, I will continue this once im back.

Get a heavy bag and a partner.

Have partner hold back at an angle away from you.

If you are left lead leg, have him pull bag to your right so its at an angle.

Kick it 20 times as hard as possible with that lead leg.

Switch so he can practice then switch back.

Focus on trying to hit the guy holding the bag with the bag. Play with the technique until you are able to hit him with the bag while he holds it.

I have a 200 thai bag and I can move it pretty well with the lead leg kick.

The power will come with practice just like anything.

AgentZ said:

Thats Bas' style and it makes sense for MMA, but all the Thais pivot on the roundhouse.

AgentZ said:

And I understand quite a few tan guys from Thailand disagree, just as people disagree about other mechanics of a kick. Opinions vary; do what works best for you.

This is so true! My left kick stinks too, and the only thing I can think of to bring it up is to kick, kick, kick with it. Of course, practicing a bad kick just means you get really good at throwing bad kicks, so coaching is essential as well.

My left is just starting to come along. Given guidance and time and focus, yours will too.

I, myself, dont want to hear a thing about what you heard.

So hostile... So you know I was refering to this: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143419&highlight=pivot

Go train and then document what works for you, so we can actually progress from reading.

In that case I prefer the way Bas explains it. Now I'm not one to suck up to anyone but I tried both ways and found stepping out does give me more power.

Then again I suppose you are all right. To each his own...

Back