Trinidad vs Cotto?

wilddeuces

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has there been a Trinidad vs Cotto hypothetical matchup discussion yet? They missed each other by more than a few years I figure.

Would be an interesting fight, but I would lean toward Trinidad...

Theres a specific type of fighter that Trinidad had problems with. Cotto doesn't really fit it. Trinidad probably wins, although he could be hurt, so I wouldn't be surprised him Cotto won

Cotto's a great fighter and all, and it wouldn't be easy, but I think Trinidad stops him in the mid rounds

I may stand with a minority in here, but I have a feeling the cautious, technical Cotto who used the jab and lateral movement against Mosley and Canelo causes Tito all kinds of trouble.

I may stand with a minority in here, but I have a feeling the cautious, technical Cotto who used the jab and lateral movement against Mosley and Canelo causes Tito all kinds of trouble.

I think he'd cause him trouble, but I think Trinidad's pressure would wear him down in the later rounds to the point where we'd get a late stoppage.

I think he'd cause him trouble, but I think Trinidad's pressure would wear him down in the later rounds to the point where we'd get a late stoppage.

I knew it :(

Trinidad by KO. And it wouldn't even be that hard.

Would be a great fight , I don’t think Cotto would win , Trinidad would punish Cotto , and eventually stop him .

Similar to Margarito minus the caste of ...

If Margarito was able to get to Cotto late Trinidad could do it earlier

Yeah, these seems to be along my original lines of thinking. The Oscar that boxed Tito consistently in the first two thirds of their fight showed a good jab and lateral movement were problematic for Tito. Cotto is a pretty consistent guy, so I can see the problems he would cause as indicating by a few of you.

Has there been a Trinidad vs Cotto hypothetical matchup discussion yet? They missed each other by more than a few years I figure.

Would be an interesting fight, but I would lean toward Trinidad...

Trinidad wins this by stoppage late in the fight, he would take advantage of Cotto's flaws big time.

Cotto when pressured likes to sit on the ropes, he doesn't slide off the ropes and keep the fight in the center of the ring. Trinidad would eat this mistake up throwing upper-cuts and power punches until Cotto moves off of the ropes.

Trinidad would not respect Cotto's power at all even if he gets staggered he would laugh and keep coming, like Margarito did.

Cotto's best option is to keep the fight in the center of the ring turning Trinidad and using his off beat jab and counter punching Trinidad then he could win the fight. But Trinidad gas tank is to full as a boxer and would pick up to pace putting even more pressure on Cotto and making Cotto work to hard.

The fight would look just like this but with Trinidad putting on even more pressure throwing even more power punches, because Trinidad never had trouble with a low gas tank ever.
gas-tank-full.jpg

Notice Cotto siting on the ropes trying to rest and avoid punches and exchanging with Margarito who's putting on more pressure to empty that gas tank even more.
Cotto's gas tank in the fight
quarterfulltank.jpg

Or like this fight.

Or this fight.

That's bad business for prime Cotto bad business great fight for us fans.
Bad%2BBusiness%2B-%2BBad%2BBusiness.jpg

Trinidad by mid-rounds KO, probably after getting sat on his arse once early (gotta love those Trinidad flash knockdowns!).

I don't think Cotto's big enough or defensively sound enough or has a good enough gas tank to keep Trinidad off.

also, Cotto's chin got better as he went up in weight. at 147 he was still draining himself to some degree

Guys, if young Vargas can get to Trinidad, then certainly Cotto can. If Trinidad isn't punching Cotto in the balls, it is a very close fight. Vargas and Cotto have similar styles, and I feel Cotto is a level above Vargas at least.

Tito was an offensive monster, but his defense sucked, and his chin is questionable as well. Cotto is a great finisher, and if he were to hurt Tito, he would finished him.

That being said, I think I favor Trinidad 60/40 or 55/45. Closer than some are thinking.

Btw, both Tito and Margarito have hand wrap question marks. Although Margarito is more questionable

Cotto, IMO was the more versatile of the two and had more tools to win a fight.

Cotto, IMO was the more versatile of the two and had more tools to win a fight.

I think so as well. After I posted, I started leaning more towards Cotto as well. It isn't like Trinidad is known for his amazing cardio, he had lulls in fights all the time. Also against people with effective jabs like Hopkins, Wright, and even Oscar, Trinidad looked clueless and would just go forward without throwing.

Tito’s power would have been 2 much for Cotto

Back