Tried to find firearm / pistol thread - Just got myself a Glock 17

Gonna buy myself a 9mm in the next few weeks mostly for short range funsies and carrying while hiking.
Think I might just go with the Mossberg MC2C since it is very light and has a grip extending 15 rd mag which is max where I live, tritium sights, and under 400 new on sale after shipping and ffl included. I can afford more gun if I want, but I just don't see the point right now don't have enough time to shoot enough except to get good with one decently sighted gun.

Only downside I can see is having to scavenge for extra mags on the MC2C.
It's either that or the G19 or the G45 I feel like.
Anyone else have a reliable (e.g. can bring into the woods and not have it break down on me after being exposed to the elements) 9mm they like that has a good frame without a hulking build and approx 4 inch barrel?

i mean, the g19's durability/reliability is well-known.

there are now a fuckton of notaglocks out there right now, though. but i don't know what are killer deals and what are just cheap knock-offs (i'm out of the loop). the psa daggers seem to have a lot of great features for like $300, but i have no idea if they're as reliable, for instance. same with the mossberg.

i don't know where you're hiking, but with 15 round limits and well... hiking, i prefer the g20. but yeah, it's a bit bigger than the compacts (eg, g19). i hope i never have to shoot a bear (i'd feel terrible about it), though.

Thread is hilarious. Personal condolences on your California. Nothing wrong with z Glock or 9mm put your shots were you want to and use performance ammo. Congrats

Thread is hilarious. Personal condolences on your California. Nothing wrong with z Glock or 9mm put your shots were you want to and use performance ammo. Congrats

Ya....thanks :( ;) - Something VERY wrong with a pull sized pistol like a G17 and having 10 rounds of 9mm in the double stack.

I liked the feel of it but man, what a waste of space in the mag. Eventually I'll move out of state though and will be able to use the standard mag.

Next one I think I'd like is the M&P Shield 9 or G26. G26 would be nice b/c accepts G17 mag and same feel as G17. BUT Shield is obviously much thinner and easier in the waist band. Not like I have a shot at CCW in California anyway as I can't really prove a "need" to have it.

I've also been researching and it seems like Canik makes a pretty decent gun for the price, though I don't think they make a CA compliant one.

i mean, the g19's durability/reliability is well-known.

there are now a fuckton of notaglocks out there right now, though. but i don't know what are killer deals and what are just cheap knock-offs (i'm out of the loop). the psa daggers seem to have a lot of great features for like $300, but i have no idea if they're as reliable, for instance. same with the mossberg.

i don't know where you're hiking, but with 15 round limits and well... hiking, i prefer the g20. but yeah, it's a bit bigger than the compacts (eg, g19). i hope i never have to shoot a bear (i'd feel terrible about it), though.
Yeah trying to stick with a 9mm so I can go blast bulk ammo with buddies out in the stix but also carry solo; not trying to fend of grizzly.

@TheNinja

So I went to my range's annual Glock Day event, with the explicit intent of shooting a Glock 48. However, prior to that, a coworker, who was volunteering as an RO, convinced me to also shoot the 19X. I already own a 17, so it wasn't on my radar, but I was pleasantly surprised at how it felt and balanced; I didn't expect to really feel a difference, but I did.

Does it make me want to immediately sell my 17 and get a 19X? No, I'd still rather get a 48 if I was buying another Glock, but it's interesting.

@TheNinja

So I went to my range's annual Glock Day event, with the explicit intent of shooting a Glock 48. However, prior to that, a coworker, who was volunteering as an RO, convinced me to also shoot the 19X. I already own a 17, so it wasn't on my radar, but I was pleasantly surprised at how it felt and balanced; I didn't expect to really feel a difference, but I did.

Does it make me want to immediately sell my 17 and get a 19X? No, I'd still rather get a 48 if I was buying another Glock, but it's interesting.

Hadn't though about the 48 but I like the look of the slimmer, especially for any conceal carry. I'm liking my 17 but it is definitely a big ol gun. Too big to conceal IMO unless you are a big dude with baggy clothes.

I don't think it would make much sense for me to get a 17 AND a 19 as they are so similar. If I went smaller than 17 I'd look at the 48 or 26 I think...or 43, I'm getting them confused now ;)

Glock 45 is great. I’ve got one. But, the 17 is a great gun, that’s why it’s the most common gun used by law enforcement.

Glock 45 is great. I’ve got one. But, the 17 is a great gun, that’s why it’s the most common gun used by law enforcement.

Stupid California only allows Gen 3 Glocks, which is a good gun from my understanding. But I'm getting the extended mag release button as the factory is really tough for me to operate properly without adjusting my grip. Going to try out the extended slide release (I think that's what it's called) as well.

I wonder if law enforcement uses stock guns? I'm sure they are using Gen 5, which may have a extended controls. Or maybe I just have to break it in more.

Haven't taken it to the range yet, but got my Mossberg mc2c and pleasantly pleased with how it feels in-hand for paying about $300 for a glock-ish clone with a very efficient profile and 15 round cap.

Stupid California only allows Gen 3 Glocks, which is a good gun from my understanding. But I'm getting the extended mag release button as the factory is really tough for me to operate properly without adjusting my grip. Going to try out the extended slide release (I think that's what it's called) as well.

I wonder if law enforcement uses stock guns? I'm sure they are using Gen 5, which may have a extended controls. Or maybe I just have to break it in more.

depends on the law enforcement department. A lot use stock guns. I know many law enforcement officers in my city and they carry a wide variety of pistols. Some cities only allow their officers to carry 1 type of pistol. There is an approved list of modification they can run. A lot of the officers I know are still using gen4 Glocks, although some are starting to switch over to gen 5.
Here is Vegas, the most common sidearms I see Metro officers using are Glock 17-19-19x, S&W m&p 9mm, sig p320 and quite a few H&K Vp9’s. They are also allowed to carry .40 and .45. I know an officer who Carry’s the Glock 21(.45acp)

Gen 3s are still good. Sucks you can't get a Gen 5 though.
Local PD here uses Gen 5 Glock 17s. Atlanta PD uses either Gen 4 or Gen 5. All stock except for night sights.

Gen 3s are still good. Sucks you can't get a Gen 5 though.
Local PD here uses Gen 5 Glock 17s. Atlanta PD uses either Gen 4 or Gen 5. All stock except for night sights.

Ya, CA is absolutely stupid. There are certain models that are allowed in CA, but that list tends to be older models that are grandfathered in. No new models get added b/c in order to be added to the CA approved list they have to have a technology called...microstamping........that doesn't even exist yet!!

"It’s also very likely no new models will be added since there is now a “microstamping” requirement which uses controversial technology that will etch identifying marks on the bullet casing."

I've read the Gen 3 G17 is a VERY solid model though. So far I love it. Getting my extended controls on Friday.

Ya, CA is absolutely stupid. There are certain models that are allowed in CA, but that list tends to be older models that are grandfathered in. No new models get added b/c in order to be added to the CA approved list they have to have a technology called...microstamping........that doesn't even exist yet!!

"It’s also very likely no new models will be added since there is now a “microstamping” requirement which uses controversial technology that will etch identifying marks on the bullet casing."

I've read the Gen 3 G17 is a VERY solid model though. So far I love it. Getting my extended controls on Friday.

imo, gen3 is the best. especially the earlier produced ones (less mim, better extractors)

Haven't taken it to the range yet, but got my Mossberg mc2c and pleasantly pleased with how it feels in-hand for paying about $300 for a glock-ish clone with a very efficient profile and 15 round cap.
Still have been too busy to go shooting with this, but I'm glad I got some extra mags and ammo, cause it seems everything is being bought up.

My gun went out of stock online and then came back for $525 instead of $350 lol

Still have been too busy to go shooting with this, but I'm glad I got some extra mags and ammo, cause it seems everything is being bought up.

My gun went out of stock online and then came back for $525 instead of $350 lol
Haven't you advocated for a ban on "high capacity" magazines in the WR?

Dang dude!! I'd like 3 glocks in California just to equal 1 of your Arizona special clips!! ;) Though I won't live in California forever so another reason the model 17 is good for me. When I leave state I can get real mags! ;)

Search for "Freedom Week". Don't tell anybody anything. You're welcome (from a fellow Californian).

The Glock is the purse dog of handguns.
Basic bitches love them.

50 thousand Americans die each year because of gun violence. That's more people dead than soldiers in the Vietnam war which lasted 10 years... and was a war.
Actually it’s 40,000, but still the number is fewer than those who die in auto accidents, and roughly 90% of those deaths are suicides.
Someone wants to kill themself that’s not my business, nor your business.

now go away troll

Okay fudd.

Nothing wrong with modern 9mm. "Knock down power" is an 80s/90s thing. Modern 9mm ammo is much evolved from the era of those arguments. Plus, 15-20 rounds in a full size vs 8-14 for .45. Glocks are great guns, just a matter of preference when it comes to the bigger reputable manufacturers (Glock, Sig, FN, HK, CZ, s&w, etc).
If you believe all those arguments make 9mm better, then .22 is the best

I was on the fence with no safety issue too. But for me, in a stressful situation, I preferred to go without the extra safety. I want to store it with full mag, nothing in the chamber. When I need it to go I want to rack it and be ready. Not get hung up on safety or the hammer or anything like that.
Of course all that can be trained through repetition. Like I have a Mossberg 500 with the safety on top been have been shooting Mossberg for 30 years so it's second nature to me. Haven't shot pistols regularly at all.
Or just store condition1…and tbh you’d have to be an absolute moron to get ‘hung up on a safety’ even under stress.

Back