Tried indoor rock climbing last night...

spirez

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Was on the wall for less than 5 minutes but i've never had such a tough grip workout in that amount of time!

Forget bottoms-up kettlebell work or even towel pull-ups, my forearms were pumped after this!

The wall is only 3-4 metres high as it is in the gym where i work so you can only do traversing but this is probably harder than going up. It has some overhangs and parts that stick in to make it a little more difficult. Took me 2:00 to get half way, apparently the record to complete it is 37 seconds! I'll get some pics next time i'm on shift.

I'm gonna start including it as a finisher after things like the magic 50 etc

If you've never tried it, give it a shot.

Yeah man, bouldering (the form of rock climbing you did) is super tough. Especially if you don't know the "route" as such. Once you do it a few time you figure out a good route and then it gets easier/quicker.

When I used to do climbing (up and down walls with a rope) I had practically paralyzed forearms by the end. So much so I had to wait 10 mintues before driving home otherwise I couldn't turn or hold the wheel. Definitely the best arm pump and forearm builder around.

Boulding is alot of fun, i really like top rope climbing too. It's probably funny watching me climb anything over a 5.8, i get up with strength, willpower and the lack of self preservation, techinique has no pat of my climbing

Flash pumps can turn a guy into an armless wonder quick. Fun indoors, totally and stupidly dangerous while lead climbing outside.

I use my climbing harness more for weighted chins and dips than climbing these days, I miss it.

Anyone got any information on this? How much does it generally cost each time, where to find places that have indoor walls?

Should be able to find a club online pretty easy. The place i went charges i think around $30 for the instruction and 2 weeks or something like that, if you are going to do top rope you will need to learn how to bellay first. Bouldering you wouldn't. After you know how i think it's like $10 - 15 for the day with gear rental, typicaly

Okay I found one. Untitled Document

About $26 bucks each time including rentals. Maybe I can make their website look 100x better in exchange for a membership, haha.

How would you define the climbing? I'm real interested in trying. While its heavy on grip strength, is it more of a strength type of exercise or conditioning?

Okay I found one. Untitled Document

About $26 bucks each time including rentals. Maybe I can make their website look 100x better in exchange for a membership, haha.

How would you define the climbing? I'm real interested in trying. While its heavy on grip strength, is it more of a strength type of exercise or conditioning?

Depends on your style--you can focus on technique, go slow, and distribute your bodyweight tactfully and strength does not become too important. You can also climb like me and go fast, skip a bunch of holds, and do as many dynos as possible, focusing on strength and power rather than technique.:icon_twis

However you climb, forearm/grip endurance is very important (especially if you climb more or longer routes) but cardiovascular conditioning isn't that important. You won't really get winded unless you are racing.

PersonallyI have ZERO technique and also a disadvantageous body type--I'm short and stocky instead of being tall skinny and lanky. Also I'm impatient and don't climb too frequently, although I do work on a campus board frequently. So I pretty much rely solely on strength.

The best I've done is a 5.8a outdoors and 10a indoors, if I recall correctly.

Back