triangle troubleshooting

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
in mma and bjj a lot of guys like to stick there opposite arm hand hand in to defend the triangle curious of what others like to do from there some just keep trying to adjust and fight the hand out curious if theres any cool slick attacks

I take out of Rafa's book. I read mataleaos saying that Rafa won't really even bother with the triangle - he'll just go straight for the armbar while he has a guy in the triangle.

If I'm rolling with a guy, especially if he's really flexible, and I know he's capable of some bs I'll go straight for the armbar as well. Unless you meant the arm triangle?

in mma and bjj a lot of guys like to stick there opposite arm hand hand in to defend the triangle curious of what others like to do from there some just keep trying to adjust and fight the hand out curious if theres any cool slick attacks

wut?

I take out of Rafa's book. I read mataleaos saying that Rafa won't really even bother with the triangle - he'll just go straight for the armbar while he has a guy in the triangle.

If I'm rolling with a guy, especially if he's really flexible, and I know he's capable of some bs I'll go straight for the armbar as well. Unless you meant the arm triangle?

yeah can transition to the armlock or if the guy sticks his hand in and tries to stick his whole arm in the fully break the triangle can take that armlock too

ill try t find a vid of what im talking about

Invariably when someone sticks their arm in my balls get crushed and I just let go.

I don't see this often but if I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like they're setting themselves up for a baratoplata.

I don't see this often but if I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like they're setting themselves up for a baratoplata.

but seriously how often does that sub actually happen? i may be in the minority but i dont believe in what i call gimmick subs like catch wrestling for instannce has alot of gimmick subs head scissors ect

i admit iv never even had someone properly show me the baratoplata from your back but i never see guys hit this at higher levels theres more omoplatas than baratoplatas

but seriously how often does that sub actually happen? i may be in the minority but i dont believe in what i call gimmick subs like catch wrestling for instannce has alot of gimmick subs head scissors ect

i admit iv never even had someone properly show me the baratoplata from your back but i never see guys hit this at higher levels theres more omoplatas than baratoplatas
The baratoplata is hard to setup. Seems legit tho. Caio Terra tapped a due in a super fight with it.

The baratoplata is hard to setup. Seems legit tho. Caio Terra tapped a due in a super fight with it.

Ah, my instructor got that on me when I tried to escape his triangle attempt. I was wondering what that was because I remember trying to escape the triangle and my shoulder suddenly feeling like it was about to get ripped off.

i only like to work on subs that are high%or true tested through time like rnc arm triangle darces guillotines armlocks ect

hell that big hw guy has hit no gi ezekiel chokes from bottom mount, but u wouldnt recommend adding that to your list of submissions would you? i dont believe a move is great just cause 1 or 2 guys made it work once na fight. it needs to be done by several guys at high levels for me to feel confident in trying it

My thought goes like this. Be familiar with a vast majority of finishes so you know how to make an opponent pay for making a mistake. If someone is presenting you with the setup to a specific submission often enough for you to get online and ask about it, then the submission is high percentage for you in that situation. I could probably come up with a different solution but it would likely be lower percentage in that particular situation

My thought goes like this. Be familiar with a vast majority of finishes so you know how to make an opponent pay for making a mistake. If someone is presenting you with the setup to a specific submission often enough for you to get online and ask about it, then the submission is high percentage for you in that situation. I could probably come up with a different solution but it would likely be lower percentage in that particular situation

well for the situation were talking about as one guy said i could just armlock the guy vs going off trying a baratoplata its a lot quicker as well was just curious of any slick transitions ect that might be there as well

i only like to work on subs that are high%or true tested through time like rnc arm triangle darces guillotines armlocks ect

hell that big hw guy has hit no gi ezekiel chokes from bottom mount, but u wouldnt recommend adding that to your list of submissions would you? i dont believe a move is great just cause 1 or 2 guys made it work once na fight. it needs to be done by several guys at high levels for me to feel confident in trying it

I trained with Jonas Andrade for a few weeks.
He hit that on me over and over again.

It's not a gimmick submission.

well for the situation were talking about as one guy said i could just armlock the guy vs going off trying a baratoplata its a lot quicker as well was just curious of any slick transitions ect that might be there as well

I'm not sure how you can easily armbar the arm when it has already slipped out enough that you can bartoplata it.

If Caio showed how you can no-gi ezekiel chokes from a common situation in bottom mount in a reliable manner (not squeezing super hard in a super precise manner) I would actually recommend adding it if you could with little effort.
If you can win from such a bad situations why not?

In general I stay away with subs with unclear and doubius finishing mechanics like Japanese Necktie or old school straight footlocks (where you put pressure on the calf etc.) .
But with different ways of doing kimura/omoplata style pressue there isn't such risk.

Ah, my instructor got that on me when I tried to escape his triangle attempt. I was wondering what that was because I remember trying to escape the triangle and my shoulder suddenly feeling like it was about to get ripped off.

i hit a lot of barataplatas and what you describe is the most common scenario for me: My opponent thinks he is getting free of my triangle attack and concedes my effort to swing my leg to the "wrong" side, thinking it's just the opening he needs to hit a 'big guy pass,' and then he finds unexpectedly sharp shoulder pain and taps.

My highest percentage 'forced' barataplata is actually from reverse knee-on-belly. Seems flashy, but actually very high percentage if you can windshield wiper your shin under his elbow:

Last edited:

Stay open-minded about stuff. I know we both come from Relson backgrounds and the old traditional BJJ is the gospel there.

My current coach catches barataplatas all the time. So it's definitely a high percentage move for him. he also has this weird gogoplata type move that I've never seen anyone else do that he does from omo Plata. It works very very well.

Also speech-to-text is really weird.
Omoplata = home oblada
Barato Plata = bridal Plata or burrito plate
DLR= diller hiva

My highest percentage "forced" barataplata is actually from reverse knee-on-belly. Seems flashy, but actually very high percentage if you can windshield wiper your shin under his elbow:

I actually like to hit triangles from there. It's funny how sometimes injuries can improve your game. my right knee was Jacked for a while and every time I go to knee on belly I didn't like the type of pressure I was getting on my right knee. So instead I started to go to reverse knee on belly and spin back and catch triangles. My right knee is a lot better now but I still have that aspect of my game

i meant armlock the far arm not the arm thats trying to go inside the triangle to defend id just take the far arm and bellydown with it

i also dont like subs where the opponent can move around somewhat freely not sure on the baratoplata but couldnt the guy try to go ape shit rolling ect to try to get a little space? im talking about at black belt levelyou have your gym level taps then competition taps and you obviously know guys in competitions arnt gonna tap unless you got them completely locked up

idk since i havnt really tried it or been taught the sub in person i cant say but from way it looks looks like it takes a little bit to set it up much like a peruvian necktie and makes me think the guy could try to explode move around am i missing something?

Back