Transitions from triangle

paulchu said:
Yes, a triangle got you a blue belt. That means countless times of successfully practicing your triangle so you "got it down to a science." If you are a person who will get stacked on while attempting the triangle, you are not someone who has been practicing the triangle enough.

Right, "if you know how to do them." If you read the original post, you can see that he doesn't have a counter for a simple triangle defense.

So I'm assuming, though probably untruthfully, that its one of two options:

1) the poster is better with his hands than his feet: ergo, go for an armbar.

2) the poster is not good at triangles: ergo, go for an armbar.

No one cares how good you are at the triangle choke, no one asked. This is not a pissing contest on who has the better triangle choke, get over yourselves. Zicherja commented on the weakness in his triangle, so I told him that its harder to pull one off than an armbar, so go for an armbar instead.

I personally find triangles one of the easiest moves from guard.

Big Red said:
I personally find triangles one of the easiest moves from guard.

triangles are easy against people who suck :) tbh, people who know what they're doing wont let you just slap an leg around their neck, youll need to set it up..

Jaggulat1on said:
triangles are easy against people who suck :) tbh, people who know what they're doing wont let you just slap an leg around their neck, youll need to set it up..

I'll use science to prove the ease of a triangle.

[(Opponent In Guard + Wrist control + They Are Broken Down) + Pushing a forearm into his stomach + throwing a leg over the arm] x as many times as you like if you fail = triangle.

I do it Nogueira style. I know no other way to do it, exept to do it of a missed armbar from the guard.

zicherja said:
Question:

I love the triangle choke and armbar omoplata transitions. I almost always try for it when grappling. Recently, while applying the triangle, the opponent stood up and was hovering over me while I was trying to secure the triangle. Before I knew it, he completely stacked all of this weight on me and curled me up in a little ball flippling me over. Really hurt my neck and he escaped.

Other than releasing the triangle, what else can you do in this situaiton when the person starts stacking towards you?

Ohhh man. You know what? Mat Santos (BJJ Brown Belt, might be black by now, not sure) was at my gym not too long ago, showing a way to lock the triangle that stops him from standing up. I'll learn it tonight and get back to you.

Other than that, I have two things for you to do. First, is turn your hips, like an arm bar. That position makes the choke tighter, and stops him from standing up (because he's almost perpendicular to you)

Second, what I do when guy try to muscle it, is reach for the leg, and do a sweep like you do for the arm bar (sometimes called a flower sweep). Puts you in a mounted triangle. It may not be the strongest position, but it's better to seek maybe a north/south or a side mount from there than having your guard passed from a stacked position.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Do you train? With what your saying, it seems like youve never even seen grappling or done it. Triangles are MUCH MUCH easier if you know how to do them, and it's easy to learn.

Not for me :(

My big short legs on an opponent my size I have to just hold my shin with one hand and hip up to do a half assed triangle choke.

Triagles, like arm bars (or any technique for that matter), depend very much on set up and oppertunity. Sometimes the situation calls for one, sometimes the other. Sometimes you miss one and switch to the other.

Anyway, back to the topic... I disagree that you should transition to a armbar if your stacked from a triange. I personally find it easier to finish a triangle from a stacked postion than an armbar. Oma plata could be a good option though. You can also kimura them from a locked triangle position.

It is especially tough to transition to omoplatas when they are stacking u n also when u r wearing gi. It is already hard to bounce your body off so much to the side, what more with the pressing stacking n the friction your gi has wif the ground.

i like to climb and attack armbars.. if they fail or not as close as i want i let it go.. he escapes leaving 1 arm in side an di close the triangle.

OI! its not that the triangle is necessarily more difficult, it may or m ay not be for you, but a failed triangle leaves you considerably more open than say, an armbar.... which, again, is why i suggest you don't try triangles until your proficiency level and the success rate of the move becomes higher. any decent bjj instructor will tell you that (not that I am one)

lets try to keep replying to the poster's question as opposed to telling each other how badass we are at the triangle.

So long as we all silently accept that I've got an awesome triangle (far better than yours).

yes, your triangles rock, but only cuz you have small testes that don't get in the way ;)

Back