Transferring weight when punching

jbourke

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have found that one of my biggest problems with my striking is that i am not transferring my weight correctly when punching. Does anybody know any exercises/routines i can follow to get this right? Or would shadow boxing be my best bet?

It's all in the hips. My background is in Tae Kwon Do, but I believe this carries over to any kind of striking art. I would reccomend imagening your punch entirely coming from your hip and not your arm or shoulder. Just snap it. Your upper body should not move forward either.It should remain upright. Anyway, if you are still having problems, have a pro help you out.

Practice shifting your weight. It's not really that hard, if you're bad at multiplying then you practice multiplication.

It's all in the hips. My background is in Tae Kwon Do, but I believe this carries over to any kind of striking art. I would reccomend imagening your punch entirely coming from your hip and not your arm or shoulder. Just snap it. Your upper body should not move forward either.It should remain upright. Anyway, if you are still having problems, have a pro help you out.

It's all in the big toes actually.

You have to push your big toe into the floor of the opposite foot to the direction you want to go and then you rotate your hips. If you want to shift to the left, mash the ball of your right foot into the floor and vice versa.

In terms of body mechanics.... it would be slightly different dependant on your stance (square vs blade). But exercise wise

Shadow Boxing:- close your eyes and slow the fook down... like Tai chi. Start the movement with your feet and work your way up to your hands. Feel your weight shift, check your balance, and lock your structure behind the movement from toe to hand.

As your mechanics get better and consistant then unconscious, you can start to at some speed and work the mits or bag getting feed back of your partner. Remember that weight transference is about having your body weight as momentum making your strikes 'heavier'. I use that term because when I usually say 'powerful' people just end up trying to muscle it.... it's about body mechanics.

Once you've felt in on the bag or pads, be sure to keep shadow boxing or miss the bag or pads to ensure you are maintaining balance. The end result is for you to be able to put this into sparring, and you are not alway going to land, so maintaining balance is utra important.

So, shadow box, slow down, feel. Technique, consistancy, then intensity.

One thing that really helped me was not to be preoccupied with the hands.

Find a heavy bag and elbow it with a hooking motion. Since you don't have to worry about the actual motion of the arm and hands, you pretty much only focus on the rotational motion.

Another thing to consider is imagine that you're trying to hit someone with your shoulder. Not with a pushing motion, but to whip them in the face.

Back