Training to failure?...Jim Wendler?

wasptrash

cynical swine
@Green
Reaction score
A good interview with a strong and interesting man. From elitefts.com. The entire interview is worth reading, but I thought I would quote one portion that I thought a few sherdoggers should read.
"As far as training to failure, I don't think that this always the most optimal way to train. I won't say that you should NEVER do it, but it shouldn't be a staple in your program. Maybe that's why true HIT'ers can't train more than once every 15 days or whatever."
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/jim_wendler_interview.htm

Ha!
Thanks. I hadn't seen that thread, but after looking though it, it's evident that, as I mentioned, some people still need some reiteration on the subject. Anytime I find a big name in the strength world expressing an opinion that I think may alleviate some confusion among the masses, I like to post it. That, and I found the entire article, as with anything by or about Wendler, interesting.

I used to train to failure, and after 20 minutes I must stop because I start to feel sick.

I actually train to failure more often these days but nothing too extreme, it's not like I'm pumping out set after set going to failure and shit!

training to failure is hard on recovery, and if you play a sport (which i assume because you are on a fighting forum) it will hurt your other physical quialities.

i think there is a learning curve to not training to failure and it takes place for each exercise you do. When you first start out you go all out and burn yourself into the ground, then after about 2 weeks of this you start to relize that it is counter productive to do this so you start to set rep goals that are within your abillity.

It's not that you don't know that training to failure is bad it's just that you need to get a feel for the execise first before you can start setting rep limitations.

Sonny said:
I actually train to failure more often these days but nothing too extreme, it's not like I'm pumping out set after set going to failure and shit!

I hate you! You're not my friend anymore!

*stomps away sobbing, slams door*

Cmart said:
I hate you! You're not my friend anymore!

*stomps away sobbing, slams door*

Wait, come back, Cmart come back man, I didn't mean it! Cmart? SEEEEEEMAAART!!!! :icon_cry2

If you don't fail occasionally, then in my opion you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. I miss lifts more than a lot of people would advocate, because I do mostly singles,and if I smell blood I'll go for the kill. It happens.

That being said I don't think you should generally go "I'm going to do this until I can't" your goal shouldn't be to fail, especially for beginners, for whom CNS adaptation is key IMO.

I don't believe in training to failure but I do believe in maxing out with singles periodically. I may hit failure every now and then but not on purpose. Training to failure if done frequently, can be counter productive.

CarnalSalvation said:
If you don't fail occasionally, then in my opion you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. I miss lifts more than a lot of people would advocate, because I do mostly singles,and if I smell blood I'll go for the kill. It happens.

That being said I don't think you should generally go "I'm going to do this until I can't" your goal shouldn't be to fail, especially for beginners, for whom CNS adaptation is key IMO.

Anyone ever read the book Jim mentions: Pocket Hercules? I have not, but I think I may need to.

Back