training question

Child Please**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm losing weight by running and eating about 300 calories less then I burn a day. I Still eat plenty of protein and supplement vitamins and minerals. I also have a shoulder injury due to laxity in the joint capsule. I'm currently doing exercise to strengthen this tissue. My question is will my diet slow down the repair process since in order to build muscle you need to eat more calories then you burn?

Potentially yes. The body has a much better chance creating an anabolic environment for the healing process with a caloric surplus. You dont need to eat a lot more but eating at least a bit above maintenance will help in your recovery.

Have you gone to a doctor? What's injured?

I agree with dson. This should be moved to D&S for more help.

Have you gone to a doctor? What's injured?

Unless you've already done this and have talked with the doctor about treatment, I wouldn't go on a caloric deficit. Not that it won't heal if you don't have a calorie surplus but it will take a bit longer and letting injuries take longer to heal is never a good idea in my book.

And laxity can be a good thing so are you sure its not instability in the shoulder joint? It seems a fine line between the two but it seems to matter.

Back