Training of "Prince" Naseem Hamed:

Just wanna add Naz was the ultimate entertainer. EVERYONE, love him or hate him wanted to see him fight His ring entrances may have come accross as arrogant at times, but they were fun and as the paying public, you pay to have fun.

We definitely need another Naz

That's true, I was a disappointed when he mentally crumbled after getting beat by Barrerra. Naseem was an asshole but in a very entertaining way. He was the perfect heel, who generated interest, unlike PBF, who just generates contempt.

Very gifted boxer in all aspects but a mental midget. He could have beat Barrerra or at least done better had he switched back to traditional boxing, which he does know how to do. Before he got big, he actually did box more traditionally.

He did crash hard in his personal life after that loss.

Yeah they do. What fighters do you watch? Pacqaio, Marquez, Moralez, Barrera. The biggest difference being that they weren't as flashy and fought better fighters(had a lot more to do with their era in boxing). There are a lot of heavy hitters and their styles lend to how they are perceived. Cro Cop has one of the best LHK in the biz right? Wrong! Guys like MacDonald, Sefo, and especially Aerts etc have just as good kicks if not better, the big difference is that they don't rely on those kicks exclusively to win their fights and therefore aren't thought of that way.
Naseem beat a lot of guys in amazing fashion(who held a combined record of 1129W-854L One of Which was a guy he fought twice with a record of 31-249. not counted twice. And Barrera and Medina combined for 130 of those wins while the four other fighters with good records, 59-8, 52-14, 56-9, 63-21, were all fighters he beat at the end of their careers.) but then so have Marquez etc. They just gave away Losses and/or KO ratios to GREAT fighters.

Alot of boxers hit hard, most just don't win emphatically the way he did. Sorry to burst your bubble, I know you are having a lot of fun with all the threads and you have posted some awesome stuff but Naseem's power wasn't one of a kind, it was his style that set him apart.

Naseem's power was one of a kind, especially considering he started his career as a Flyweight. None of the Fighters you mentioned have or had the single-punch power Naseem had. I'm quite positive of this and I'm also very confident in my ability to recall Fighters' careers in Boxing. I watch Fights nearly every single day of the week. So you're not bursting any bubble, just disagreeing.

Naseem's power was one of a kind, especially considering he started his career as a Flyweight. None of the Fighters you mentioned have or had the single-punch power Naseem had. I'm quite positive of this and I'm also very confident in my ability to recall Fighters' careers in Boxing. I watch Fights nearly every single day of the week. So you're not bursting any bubble, just disagreeing.

Touche. I actually train nearly every day(its a bit more enlightening than watching stuff). You notice more when a person has better movement, you notice when speed becomes a factor even if its only slight. Naseem didn't fight the greatest(he was still a bad ass) but his punching power wasn't there, it was his set ups and the lack of time his opponents had to get out of the way. I know, I know, I read stuff from sport writers all the time about what they "see" and its usually pretty funny. What you "see" and what fighters "see" is very different. Fighters know what it takes to pull off something while most people just see a highlight. Sorry, but his power wasn't that incredible. Guzman had that type of power until he jumped up, the difference is he fights really good fighters. The difference between one punch KO artists and good KO fighters? Quality of opponents. Tyson, Naseem, Foreman etc fought nobodies for a very long time and then had a really hard time against great guys. Yeah, Foreman demolished Frasier but Fasier's ducking style lent well to Foreman's "punching downward" style.
I have also heard the term "heavy hands" all my life. I've fought plenty of guys with "Heavy hands" and while I don't have heavy hands I have speed on my side and it makes up for it. They can't see it, they can't get out of the way, and BAM! Wow, I must have heavy hands! BS. Naseem was great but his power wasn't the big deal. :icon_chee

Touche. I actually train nearly every day(its a bit more enlightening than watching stuff). You notice more when a person has better movement, you notice when speed becomes a factor even if its only slight. Naseem didn't fight the greatest(he was still a bad ass) but his punching power wasn't there, it was his set ups and the lack of time his opponents had to get out of the way. I know, I know, I read stuff from sport writers all the time about what they "see" and its usually pretty funny. What you "see" and what fighters "see" is very different. Fighters know what it takes to pull off something while most people just see a highlight. Sorry, but his power wasn't that incredible. Guzman had that type of power until he jumped up, the difference is he fights really good fighters. The difference between one punch KO artists and good KO fighters? Quality of opponents. Tyson, Naseem, Foreman etc fought nobodies for a very long time and then had a really hard time against great guys. Yeah, Foreman demolished Frasier but Fasier's ducking style lent well to Foreman's "punching downward" style.
I have also heard the term "heavy hands" all my life. I've fought plenty of guys with "Heavy hands" and while I don't have heavy hands I have speed on my side and it makes up for it. They can't see it, they can't get out of the way, and BAM! Wow, I must have heavy hands! BS. Naseem was great but his power wasn't the big deal. :icon_chee

Naz only fought one person who he had a really hard time against and that was Barrera! Look at his record and he knocked out everyone apart from Caesar Soto and Wayne McCullough. Wayne McCullough can't be KO'd and the Soto fight was a pretty lacklustre performance against a resilient opponent. Naz was very heavy handed.

Touche. I actually train nearly every day(its a bit more enlightening than watching stuff).

This probably wasn't meant as a dig, but you do realise that KK isn't exactly a basement dwelling keyboard warrior, don't you?

I do agree with you however, that Nas' knockouts were certainly helped by wrong footing his opponents and catching them when they didn't expect it.

I'd say he was genuinely heavy handed, but a lot of other boxers can throw huge punches like that if they were not worried about keeping a guard up, footwork, etc. Nas was able to throw wild haymaker punches in pro fights at the highest level - thats what was so impressive. The fact that he could swing his arm out wide, leap in and TWAT someone. Like Roy Jones, a 'normal' athelete would be caught out trying to mimic the style

Barrera was the first to keep his cool, not take his eyes off Nas and keep to solid boxing so he wasn't caught with one of those insane leaping ko punches.

But hey, if the only guy to beat you is someone like Barerra, I'd say you're doing well as a boxer - shame he never came back from the loss

i'm losing the pt of this argument
naseem may not have had the heaviest hands of all time
but he certainly had explosive hands

and it wasn't just his timing,
but the way he rotated his hips and drove his entire body weight in his punches is what gave him those powerful punches
most conventional boxers don't put all their wgt into their punches like naseem did
naseem did it often and well
because he could get away with it, he knew how to slip, duck, and evade after he threw his 'Ko punch'

most conventional boxers don't put all their wgt into their punches like naseem did
naseem did it often and well
because he could get away with it, he knew how to slip, duck, and evade after he threw his 'Ko punch'

Damn, you just summed up what I tried to say in a lot less words! Agree completely

He had a freakish ability to evade and time opponents and he used that to make his explosive, full bodyweight punches land

I have also heard the term "heavy hands" all my life. I've fought plenty of guys with "Heavy hands" and while I don't have heavy hands I have speed on my side and it makes up for it. They can't see it, they can't get out of the way, and BAM! Wow, I must have heavy hands! BS. Naseem was great but his power wasn't the big deal.

So...your whole entire argument is based on your anecdotal experiences?

Guzman never had single-punch KO power either. He'd be the first person to tell you that, and he hasn't exactly fought the best of the best in his respective divisions either.

The rest of your arguments simply add up to trying to discredit "quality of opponents", which is largely irrelevant. Say a guy is a known big puncher, if he doesn't KO a guy who has never been KO'd, that doesn't mean he can't punch, it might mean the other guy takes a punch just as well. Tommy Hearns only ever really knocked out Duran on the World Level, but no one debates the power of his right-hand. Tommy evaporated people with his punch, and just because he didn't evaporate Hagler or Leonard, doesn't mean his right-hand was over-stated. Similarly Nas evaporated people with either hand, going forward and backward, to the head and to the body. Just because not many of them were Elite level, doesn't mean his punch is/was over-stated. In fact one could argue the reason for Naseem's decline going into the fight with Barrera, was an over-dependency on just that, his ability to KO people, and when that didn't happen he had no real back-up plan. Similar to another big puncher who declined as well, Diego Corrales.

Nassem Hamed is arguably the hardest hitting Super Featherweight to put on gloves. Doesn't matter what you "see" or what you've "heard all your life"...I'll trust the words of his opponents, and pretty much the entirety of the Boxing Community over yours.

I like Naseem's entrances, but he kind of annoyed the hell out of me whenever he faught with all of his show boating and shit. It got really old after a while and it made me want to see him get his ass kicked.

Nassem Hamed is arguably the hardest hitting Super Featherweight to put on gloves. Doesn't matter what you "see" or what you've "heard all your life"...I'll trust the words of his opponents, and pretty much the entirety of the Boxing Community over yours.

But dude, he trains everyday! lol.

That's already a crock of shit, or a sign of stupidity.

No rest days? Seriously.

This probably wasn't meant as a dig, but you do realise that KK isn't exactly a basement dwelling keyboard warrior, don't you?

I do agree with you however, that Nas' knockouts were certainly helped by wrong footing his opponents and catching them when they didn't expect it.

I'd say he was genuinely heavy handed, but a lot of other boxers can throw huge punches like that if they were not worried about keeping a guard up, footwork, etc. Nas was able to throw wild haymaker punches in pro fights at the highest level - thats what was so impressive. The fact that he could swing his arm out wide, leap in and TWAT someone. Like Roy Jones, a 'normal' athelete would be caught out trying to mimic the style

Barrera was the first to keep his cool, not take his eyes off Nas and keep to solid boxing so he wasn't caught with one of those insane leaping ko punches.

But hey, if the only guy to beat you is someone like Barerra, I'd say you're doing well as a boxer - shame he never came back from the loss

Oh no, I know he isn't a keyboard warrior. If anything, he is one of the few guys that knows what he is saying and for the most part consistently posts well thought out threads. If anything, guys like him are one of the only reasons I keep posting on these forums.

Wow, that sounded kind of gay... :icon_neut

And yes, I would trust a bunch of old guys that sit and talk about what they watch too... Well, no I wouldn't. I just meant it from a fighter's perspective, he did everything right to set up his opponents and KO them. If I walk into a Tyson shot one day and then role with a Holyfield shot the next day I am going to say that Tyson had the best shot while the same can be said in the opposite circumstance. It just depends on who is better at setting up his shots and then following through. I don't consider his power spectacular but he was a cut above most other people when it came to setting up his shots. I wasn't really discrediting him, I was pointing out that it is harder to KO better fighters because they protect themselves better. As it is, you see it your way and I see it mine but since you're behind me with a lead pipe I think I'll end this now. Piece!

That's already a crock of shit, or a sign of stupidity.

No rest days? Seriously.

BTW, "training" can also mean technique. Most people would call that a rest day. Just cause ya'll seemed confused about it. :icon_chee

Back