Training of "Prince" Naseem Hamed:

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Since I know you all want to see it because of his wacky style, and because many of you STILL want confirmation that there isn't any training in the World that will give you the punching power he had for a man his size, here it is.

CHEESY music promo vid, but you can see some of how he Shadowboxed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6HBka9Mu98

Part of a Documentary that shows the Prince's training approach (you also get a look at the younger Marco Antonio Barrera):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ITe-EWHNmM

And here until about minute 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouIoMJWED

And of course the fight with Kevin Kelly, which turned out to be arguably the most exciting fight in FW History:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEbBVgdF8SM

(follow the links for the rest).

hes still around?i havnt even heard his name since 99.

No, he's not. That's not the point, though.

when i watch him fight it shows he has some boxing ability; but watching him fight was like watching a guy on the street, no real refined tech just world class speed/pwer and a good chin..

i mean i know boxing pretty well; im very familiar w/it and what he was doing could only be loosely be described as boxing; i have literally seen guys on youtube use the exact same offense/def as naseem exhibited.

the only diff is they didn't have his speed or his crushing power; nonetheless i was a big fan of his, i was just aware that much like jones jr his secret was his phys gift... it allowed him to be unorthodox and effective

no real refined tech just world class speed/pwer and a good chin..

I disagree. His chin wasn't that good, he'd been floored and hurt more than once. His recovery was excellent, like Gatti.

Also, keep in-mind Naseem's style isn't his own. Brendan Ingram tried to teach ALL of his Fighters like that. If his style was unorthodox, so was D'Amato's, and so was the crouching style when Tommy Ryan invented it.

Quick test: if you know so much than what technical flaw to Chuck make when he got knocked out by Rampage in their last fight. You gota get this one. It's real easy.

I disagree. His chin wasn't that good, he'd been floored and hurt more than once. His recovery was excellent, like Gatti.

Also, keep in-mind Naseem's style isn't his own. Brendan Ingram tried to teach ALL of his Fighters like that. If his style was unorthodox, so was D'Amato's, and so was the crouching style when Tommy Ryan invented it.

yeah ingram wrecked a few fighters careers trying to get guys who lacked otherworldly power/ speed/reaction/awkwardness and explosiveness; at lower levels it worked, but as they stepped up the lack of naz gift got them tooled against less than stellar fighters.

an while his chin wasn't granite; he was only floored by shots that were KILLING other guys, recovery is getting hurt and coming back. But to recover u have to have some sort of chin otherwise he woudl have gotten starched like the other guys who had hands laid on them.

Style or not, the way he carried himself was sad.

Quick test: if you know so much than what technical flaw to Chuck make when he got knocked out by Rampage in their last fight. You gota get this one. It's real easy.

Don't remember that fight too well but didn't Chuck throw a straight and rampage threw a turning hook? I mean you counter a straight with a hook, that's why your coach tells you to "bring it back twice as fast"

when i watch him fight it shows he has some boxing ability; but watching him fight was like watching a guy on the street, no real refined tech just world class speed/pwer and a good chin..

i mean i know boxing pretty well; im very familiar w/it and what he was doing could only be loosely be described as boxing; i have literally seen guys on youtube use the exact same offense/def as naseem exhibited.

the only diff is they didn't have his speed or his crushing power; nonetheless i was a big fan of his, i was just aware that much like jones jr his secret was his phys gift... it allowed him to be unorthodox and effective

meh. Watch him when he's shadow boxing. Watch how he turns those punches over and watch his hips. He might be goofy to watch, but comparing him to a youtube warrior is waaayyy out of line.

The funny thing is, there was more than one technical flaw on Chuck's part, more like 4. He stepped to Rampages Right, he led with a body shot he didnt set up, he threw it standing straight up, he backed straight up after throwing it, and Chuck's favorite, his hands were low, as always.

When prince got knocked down he was usually off balance not hurt

Not really. Kevin Kelly did hurt him, and in the fight where he was knocked down in the 1st round he was also hurt.

Barrera hurt him plenty as well.

meh. Watch him when he's shadow boxing. Watch how he turns those punches over and watch his hips. He might be goofy to watch, but comparing him to a youtube warrior is waaayyy out of line.

i apologize, he is not a total unskilled hack; but his execution of boxing tech is way below his training, part of it is unorthodox style and alot of it is his knowing he has otherworldy power and explosiveness and speed.

textbook or not he still hit harder than pretty much every fw and was faster and more agile whether in position or out and that made him diff to fight, not just his power and speed; BUT THE FACT HE WAS ABLE TO TAKE ADV OF IT REGARDLESS OF HAND, FOOT OR BODY POSITION.

an that has more to say about his ability, than skill; none of ingles fighters did as well as hamed using that style, esp when they stepped up... The lack of ability killed them

I think like Roy, Naseem KNOWS how to Box conventionally, and chooses not to. This is a kid who had been Boxing since he was 7 years old or so. I'm sure he knows full well how to keep both hands up and throw a 1-2.

yeah i think he does KNOW how to box; but in the heat of battle he doesn't execute tech or translate it well.

i know how to slip counter and hook off the jab; but when in the heat of the battle, i will potshot, move..give angles and jab.

my point is i know how to do the other stuff; but i don't do it when it comes down to it, not consistently.

an the prob is that when u don't really lock in on it u can't just flip the switch, ur skills while apparent aren't as eff as ur unorthodox stuyff cus u DON'T use it exclusively.

in spots hamed looked tech sharp and skilled, cus of his knowledge an exp; but he is most eff in the unorthodox cus that is what he uses the most, an what he falls back on...

naseem used his god given gifts to win and when he aged he aged fast ala rjj. This is the main rebuttal i use against guys who talk about "using kicks that are unorthadox" or "striking that is outside the box". Would you encourage new boxers to box like naseem? Ofcourse not.

Not really. Kevin Kelly did hurt him, and in the fight where he was knocked down in the 1st round he was also hurt.

Barrera hurt him plenty as well.

I think Kelly definetely hurt him, not like Barrera though. He also took a pretty good beating against Augie Sanchez. He got nailed with a cross and the ref didn't call it a knockdown, it was! He did finish Sanchez in the 4th or 5th i believe?

lots of ppl were able to mimic tyson's technique (not his speed, instinct, etc,,)

but naseem is still less understood
and almost impossible to copy
i think it's increbible how he is able to generate so much impact in his punches
and it's not just god given quickness, but i think his ability to rotate those hips from any position, angle..
his ko power doesn't come from his arms, they come from his quickness, timing and hips
i am inclined to say he could generate power punches off balance with one leg off the ground

Back