training martial arts separately or as a whole system?

BJJ black belt can be likened to a TKD 4th dan.

They are both belts where you can open your own school legitimately, they are the first belt when you earn the title of "Master", and they take roughly the same amount of time to achieve, if you train very hard and with dedication.

Different arts have different belt systems, so it's silly to compare them. It doesn't make one art "better". In TKD, for example, you usually reach black belt in 3-4 years of consistent training from a good instructor. In Korea, they give them away even sooner. For 4th dan (and very few people reach this), you need around 10 years. This is where you REALLY start to teach, this is where you REALLY start developing on your own.

And all 4th dans certified by Kukkiwon I've met were nothing to sneer at.

meng_mao said:
The pedigree behind a BJJ BB is usually much stronger than that for that of some random TKD McDojo BB. Statistically, the TKD BB is likely to mean much less in terms of training and skill.

I agree, and ask you to reconsider my response to your assertion that prompted the above quote. A black belt from "some random TKD McDojo" is plenty to sneeze at; one who possesses the level of training and skill I alluded to (i.e. the guy I trained under) is not.

Gregster said:
I agree, and ask you to reconsider my response to your assertion that prompted the above quote. A black belt from "some random TKD McDojo" is plenty to sneeze at; one who possesses the level of training and skill I alluded to (i.e. the guy I trained under) is not.
So we're in agreement. Ok.

Back