training leg kicks with pads

BJJ Coffee Drinker

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
What are some ways you guys use to train leg kicks? I normally use a leg kick pad that is smaller than the thai suitcase from fairtex. I recently tried it and I feel it does not work the accuracy very well for the kicker. I have seen some coaches use thai pads and hold the pads just like the way they do for body kicks but they squat down to catch the leg kick. I think that is kinda dangerous and unrealistic. Late I have tried out using the round punch shield to absorb leg kicks and the work surprisingly well cause it catches so much impact for such a small thing. how do you guys usually train with the leg kicks?

I've held thai pads with my forearms facing out across my thigh. Kinda stick your leg out like you're checking a kick, and then let the dude hammer away. It does not feel good on your arms AT ALL.

some people will hold the thai pad by their legs (not the way they do with body kicks, but rather with one thai pad by the leg, I'll try to find a vid of it on youtube), the best way to train leg kicks in my opinion is with the thai suitcase and lots of sparring, you can develop your accuracy in sparring, and your power with the thai suitcase, but I understand you may want to work leg kicks into your combinations (dutch style), and in this case you can either hold a thai pad or focus mitt by the leg like I mentioned earlier, or just slow down the kick after the punches and begin the rotation to throw the leg kick at your trainer but don't actually do it without using a pad at all, here is mark dellagrotte working with pete spratt showing an example of working the leg kicks in with the focus mitt (and upon occasion without any pads at all like I said), notice Spratt does not kick through the focus mitt as you would with the thai suitcase, because a proper thai kick would damage the trainers hands/legs if thrown at full power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyE72EckJx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cAlpokjhss

I disagree with working on the thai suitcase for accuracy. that that thing is so huge that I dont see any accuracy being emphasized. usually when you kick that, even heavyweights who have long legs, the leg kick thrown tends to connect and touch the entire surface of the pad. therefore, I cannot see accuracy as a main practice for that. however, It would be great for power cause that thing absorbs alot. that video of delagrotte and spratt is nice stuff and delagrotte looks excellent as a holder

I disagree with working on the thai suitcase for accuracy. that that thing is so huge that I dont see any accuracy being emphasized. usually when you kick that, even heavyweights who have long legs, the leg kick thrown tends to connect and touch the entire surface of the pad. therefore, I cannot see accuracy as a main practice for that. however, It would be great for power cause that thing absorbs alot. that video of delagrotte and spratt is nice stuff and delagrotte looks excellent as a holder

no, no, I said Thai suitcase for power, sparring for accuracy, is the best way, read my post again

Ummm, I usually kick other peoples legs, with shin pads on. We do kick sparring, no hands, and just work on the speed and accuracy of our kicks as well as working on conditioning our thighs and shins. Also my old coach used to have us do drills on each others legs.

We have this Windy big pad that's red with a big black stripe running down the middle...I'll hold the pad against my thigh and have the stripe running perpendicular to my thigh (which is how the shin is supposed to land on the thigh)..and have people kick it that way...

This one, in fact...

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=23516

sparring and the suitcase is pretty much how I train leg kicks. That and lots and lots of time on the heavy bag. Really though I think sparring is probably the best way as it lets you see exactly what you are kicking and aiming for.

EDIT* That is a pretty bad ass looking windy pad as well.

I have that same type of pad kaman has in his video. I would not really want to be holding that for rob kaman as his holder looks like he is dying lol

I have that same type of pad kaman has in his video. I would not really want to be holding that for rob kaman as his holder looks like he is dying lol

No kidding eh, he cuts that pad right in half.

cross fighting drills with gear on, focus on accuracy and technique and power will follow

Suitcase for power, partner wearing shin guards, with a lesser powered kick for accuracy for me.

Suitcase for power, partner wearing shin guards, with a lesser powered kick for accuracy for me.

We use this...

GSHIELD.JPG

how is the impact absorption? that was exactly what i wanted but it is kinda expensive. i figured if the title punch shield was good, the grant one should be far superior

Back