Training Gi twice a day... Same gi?

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm trying to retool my training schedule to fit in a few more sessions.

I do about 60% gi, 40% no gi

On Mondays I would have one gi session in the morning (about an hour) and another at night (about two hours). Just want to get some opinions here...

Is it ok to roll twice in one day with the same gi? I always wash the gi after every session but since I'm going to be at work in between the two training sessions, getting the gi washed and dried before my night class is going to be pretty impossible. Do I really need to bring two gis with me when I leave the house on Monday or is this no big deal. Feedback appreciated.

OMG please don't do that to your training partners! Either get that one gi washed and dried in time or get two gis, rolling with someone in a dirty gi is just disgusting.

Buy yourself a few more gi's and consider it a gift to your new dedication. I would also buy a few more sets of compression shorts and stuff if you wear em.

You wear the same gi twice, and you deserve to be choked unconscious.

You gotta do a load of laundry everyday (well I hope you do anyways) whether its one gi or two so why not just use two?

Depends on how much you sweat really. Some days I dont sweat very much and the GI is dry by the evening class and doesnt smell. We have one or two guys that no matter what after one use their gi must be washed because it smells so bad and they sweat buckets.

The worse thing is to leave your gi in the trunk of the car then try to use it the next day....

Depends on how much you sweat really. Some days I dont sweat very much and the GI is dry by the evening class and doesnt smell. We have one or two guys that no matter what after one use their gi must be washed because it smells so bad and they sweat buckets.

The worse thing is to leave your gi in the trunk of the car then try to use it the next day....

No. No. No.

Fungus/skin diseases etc live on the mat. Wash the gi after every use. There is no if/and/but to this. If you take a class, wash the gi before the next use.

Bring two gis. An 8-hour workday is PLENTY of time for your gi to grow some nasty funk while sitting in your gym bag.

Given how much I sweat when I train, I would never even think of putting my cold, soaking wet, smelly gi back on for a second class later in the day

wow, you can't be serious. you really think that washing your gi is really about the smell first and foremost? smh. i mean, you only have 1 pair of underwear too?

to the original poster, get a 2nd gi. you can get a very good gi for under $100. there's been plenty of posts about such gi's made recently so do a search.

Hahah alright, I get the point.

I actually have two gis, the problem is really bringing both of them with me. One gi plus my change of clothes (for after the gym) usually fills my backpack to the breaking point. Just going to have to get a bigger bag. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I actually have two gis, the problem is really bringing both of them with me. One gi plus my change of clothes (for after the gym) usually fills my backpack to the breaking point.

This is why I enjoy no gi classes. If I do a double I try to do one gi and one no gi later. It's much easier to bring extra rash guards :icon_chee

Or...if there is no option to take a no-gi class, how about bringing a light summer weight gi? Definitely saves you some room.

I'm trying to retool my training schedule to fit in a few more sessions.

I do about 60% gi, 40% no gi

On Mondays I would have one gi session in the morning (about an hour) and another at night (about two hours). Just want to get some opinions here...

Is it ok to roll twice in one day with the same gi? I always wash the gi after every session but since I'm going to be at work in between the two training sessions, getting the gi washed and dried before my night class is going to be pretty impossible. Do I really need to bring two gis with me when I leave the house on Monday or is this no big deal. Feedback appreciated.

Well, take it for what it's worth, but here in Brazil, some people just do that. Some people just wash their gis at the weekend. But here, the most you can get from that is a "yuck dude's disgusting" and the occasional fur

Well, take it for what it's worth, but here in Brazil, some people just do that. Some people just wash their gis at the weekend. But here, the most you can get from that is a "yuck dude's disgusting" and the occasional fur

Well, if you just leave the gi on between sessions you're technically only wearing it once. Problem solved.

wow, you can't be serious. you really think that washing your gi is really about the smell first and foremost? smh. i mean, you only have 1 pair of underwear too?

to the original poster, get a 2nd gi. you can get a very good gi for under $100. there's been plenty of posts about such gi's made recently so do a search.

No. No. No.

Fungus/skin diseases etc live on the mat. Wash the gi after every use. There is no if/and/but to this. If you take a class, wash the gi before the next use.

LOL I agree but ironically when we trained in Brazil that was the norm. After every class they just hung their Gi's out in the sun and wore them again that night. We had atleast two Gi's and the only way to wash them was by hand. Unless we were willing to go to the cleaners to have them washed and dried or do it ourselves at the washateria (which is expensive) Having said that I asked them if they worried about ringworm and such and they said that was super rare. Even in the gyms in the North part of Rio (favelas) they can barely afford 1 gi and certainly no washing machine or dryer.

I have 18 Gi's, but unfortunately baggage space only allowed me to take 2 to Brazil because i bought two more while I was there to bring back home.

So.......just to make a counter point: What if there was only 30 minutes in between classes....would it be ok then?

How much time has to elapse before it's "gross"?

Back