Training Gi twice a day... Same gi?

Well, the morning session is only an hour with half an hour of drilling and half an hour of rolling - It probably wouldn't get that funkdafied... I was going to throw it back in my bag but I could definitely hang it at the academy during the day and use it again that night.

I'll probably just end up bringing both with me on Monday - It's only one day a week where my two-a-days are gi so it won't get too annoying.

I'll just ask my instructor what he thinks. If I get the "are you fcuking serious look", expect to see me on Monday with a giant ass bag (with two gis in it) on the subway. :)

I usually just take 2 gi's with me and leave them at the class. I hang one up for later and then after hang the one I wore so it will be dry before I come back just so I don't have to throw a sweaty GI in my car.

yes, but only if you lysol the shit out of it. twice. i'm a microbiologist.

+1 for wearing the gi at work.

My car stinks when I roll at lunch and leave my gi in there. Wouldn't wanna be rolling with me before I wash it.

Ok I want you to try something. Train at night and leave your gi in your bag for 5 hours. Take it out and smell it. Let me know if that's something you would want to roll with.

Yes if you are going to train twice a day either get the gi cleaned or carry two gi's. Alot of us do it and while it might be uncomfortable it's better then being the stinky dude.

Damn, some of you guys are dirty mofo's. Who cares what people do in Brazil? wash that shit after every session.

Well, the morning session is only an hour with half an hour of drilling and half an hour of rolling - It probably wouldn't get that funkdafied... I was going to throw it back in my bag but I could definitely hang it at the academy during the day and use it again that night.

I'll probably just end up bringing both with me on Monday - It's only one day a week where my two-a-days are gi so it won't get too annoying.

I'll just ask my instructor what he thinks. If I get the "are you fcuking serious look", expect to see me on Monday with a giant ass bag (with two gis in it) on the subway. :)
It doesn't matter how long you're training or how much you sweat, it doesn't take much to pick something up from a training partner or the mat.

Bring a second gi.

NOTHING WORSE than rolling with someone who is wearing a cold and wet stinking ass gi that hasn't been washed. Fucking nasty. Buy a second gi lol.

Alright, alright I'll bring a second gi lol..

Note that if you shove your nasty ass dirty wet gi next to the new clean gi, you will funkify your nice new clean gi.

Keep them separated--by plastic if possible.

i'm typically an avid proponent of the 1 wear per wash policy. however, i will say that i took a few privates earlier in the summer, and then came back for the evening class. the huge windows in the lockerroom were open all the time, and i hung my gi out in front of one to air out. by the time i got back for the class 3-4hrs later it was completely dry and pretty fresh smelling. note that on the days i trained twice, i didn't go all out in the first session so i wasn't drenched. basically a lot of drills. in any event, if you can hang it out and get some air into it, you *might* be able to get a second wear out of it. the first time you do it just be vigilant with your sniff checks as you start to sweat in the second session. sometimes a gi won't really stink until it gets damp again.

also, i *think* we train at the same school (clockwork, right?). i'm not sure what the deal is with the laundry service, but i know josh does it and some guys participate. if you're gonna train that often, ask him about it. it might be an extra fee each month, but totally worth it if it means you don't have to carry a bunch of gis around with you every day. you'll still need to add a few to your collection, but still -- if i were training 2x a day, TOTALLY worth it.

cheers!

I just got back from training in Thailand, & i did a bit of no-Gi training too, but i stoped going to the arvo no-Gi class due to there being noobs there who had the same tshirt/rash guard from the morning on

it took a full 24 hours to dry a tshirt over there due to the weather, i was like i paid for extra gear so you dont have to put up with my smelly gear, why the f*#k dont you

a tshirt cost like 150 baht, thats like $5.......

Man seems like everyone in this thread is a just a tad too scared of germs. As long as you have some where to hang your gi out to dry, using one gi for two training sessions will be fine.

Man seems like everyone in this thread is a just a tad too scared of germs. As long as you have some where to hang your gi out to dry, using one gi for two training sessions will be fine.

I agree. You are going to roll with sweaty people and probably get pubic hairs and whatnot in your mouth anyway, who cares as long as it is dry and doesnt smell.
And someone said, "who cares what they do in Brazil?" Why should we NOT care, when they seemingly have LESS problems with skin infections?

the worst I do is we have a gi class followed by another gi class the next night
I currently have 1 gi (soon to be 2)
and i just hang the jacket and pants up to dry over night

i'm typically an avid proponent of the 1 wear per wash policy. however, i will say that i took a few privates earlier in the summer, and then came back for the evening class. the huge windows in the lockerroom were open all the time, and i hung my gi out in front of one to air out. by the time i got back for the class 3-4hrs later it was completely dry and pretty fresh smelling. note that on the days i trained twice, i didn't go all out in the first session so i wasn't drenched. basically a lot of drills. in any event, if you can hang it out and get some air into it, you *might* be able to get a second wear out of it. the first time you do it just be vigilant with your sniff checks as you start to sweat in the second session. sometimes a gi won't really stink until it gets damp again.

also, i *think* we train at the same school (clockwork, right?). i'm not sure what the deal is with the laundry service, but i know josh does it and some guys participate. if you're gonna train that often, ask him about it. it might be an extra fee each month, but totally worth it if it means you don't have to carry a bunch of gis around with you every day. you'll still need to add a few to your collection, but still -- if i were training 2x a day, TOTALLY worth it.

cheers!

Yeah bro, we train at the same spot....That's a good idea about the laundry service, I may just start doing that to eliminate carrying a big ass bag everyday anyway.

See you tonight, if you're hitting up class... Are you competing this weekend?

Back