razor108

White Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone used this book for bjj? I'm looking for a routine I can follow
for strength and endurance

Last edited:
Has anyone used this book for bjj? I'm looking for a routine I can follow
for strength and endurance

We use a few different parts of it for our warm up. Even if its a circuit built around abs or Burpees it can be quite a challenge. If you need to extend you gas tank this is the program to try.

I use regular circuit training/running/jacob's ladder for cardio and 5/3/1 for strength.

That works well enough for grappling and boxing for me.

I have used it and it is great. He has 2 books out now and the second one has a sweet 12 week program. The only hard part, is having the equipment, you definitely have to do it a gym. As long as you have a gym membership at a decent gym you are good to go.

It is good for bjj. Martin Rooney is the strength and conditioning coach for lots of Renzo guys, including Gianni Grippo, who obviously does pretty well in bjj.

Not sure of what you speak........ I will wait for some more responses and if it stays the same I will check it out!

Joel Jamieson's book "Ultimate MMA Conditioning" is a far superior book in my opinion. Joel explains the "how" and "why" aspects of conditioning far better than Rooney does.

For stength, I'd recommend checking out the S&C's FAQ.

Thanks everyone, I'll check it out.
Is the second book under the same name?

If this is the one were the author shows the conditioning for different types of martial arts, a friend has it it and he finds it useful for different conditioning techniques. THough he recommends some of the authors other books as a base.

But says that one is good for sport specific or adding variety to the workouts if you get bored.

Back