Training for Muay Thai...Full body Vs Split body?

Scrappy145

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
for combat sports....is it better to do all total body workouts or split body?
I plan on doing plyometrics, bodyweights, weightlifting, and cardio...all of which can either be done split body or fullbody

benefits of split body;
more emphasis on single target meaning more gains
more variety

benefits of fullbody;
simulates a fight more, and is more physically demanding which will prepare my endurance for a fight
(fighting is the most full body sport i can think of)
although lacking in variety is just more enjoyable in general

but fullbody exercises wont allow me to make as much progress on certain targets as I want to.

wat do you say?

Ive always trained bjj 2-5 times per week while lifting.

Full body workouts have always worked better for me, my gains have been more consistent and i

Scrappy, both could work depending on your training schedule.

What kind of weekly schedule do you have in mind for "full body" and what for "split body" (so how many days, what exercises each day)?

Scrappy, both could work depending on your training schedule.

What kind of weekly schedule do you have in mind for "full body" and what for "split body" (so how many days, what exercises each day)?

well, i plan on doing 6 days a week
if i decide to go split body it will be 3 sets of 2...upper body twice a week
core twice a week
lower body twice a week
typiccal week will be;
upper core lower upper core lower rest repeat next week

fullbody has not yet been decided...but it will be one hard day and one easy day repeat 6 days a week....

in both cases i will focus on some weights, cardio, plyo, bodyweights, and heavybag

for splitbody should i choose to stick with it i will do the traditional curls, legh press, shoulder press, push ups, depth push ups etc.. to gain size, muscle endurance and explosiveness...with heavier emphasis on size and strength for indfividual muscles

for fullbody should i choose to stick with it i would be doing cleans, kettlebells, snatch, etc... with heavy emphasis on endurance and explosiveness

i think both have their benefits but i cant do everything so I have to chose one of the two

Ok, so did you really read the FAQs?

I am a firm believer in functional strength from complete workouts (full body in your case). Especially for athletes, or those who are training for a specific "something."

for splitbody should i choose to stick with it i will do the traditional curls, legh press, shoulder press, push ups, depth push ups etc.. to gain size, muscle endurance and explosiveness...with heavier emphasis on size and strength for indfividual muscles

Since your training with heavier emphasis on size and strength of individual muscles I'd go with the Total Gym. You can transition right from a fly to a curl...Werdum uses one.

I am a firm believer in functional strength from complete workouts (full body in your case). Especially for athletes, or those who are training for a specific "something."

Whether someone trains particular lifts on together on the same day as part of a "full body" routine, or on different days, as part of a split routine, doesn't make them more or less functional.

First you figure out what lifts you want to focus on, and what kind of progression(s) you want to use, and how often you want to lift. Then you can decide whether it's you're going to do a full body routine or not.

For example, if I'm going to follow the 5/3/1 and train 4 days a week, then I'd do it as a split routine. But if I were to do it as a twice a week routine, I'd do it as total body workouts. Or maybe I'm going to follow Smolov or the Russian squat routine, in which case, I'd do total body workouts, although the upper body work would probably just be maintenance. It's dependant on how you want to train particular lifts.

Please atleast read the FAQ's. There is a load of quality information on this forum. You would be wise to try to absorb as much of it as possible.

Whether someone trains particular lifts on together on the same day as part of a "full body" routine, or on different days, as part of a split routine, doesn't make them more or less functional.

I think the word "routine" makes the whole thing less functional. But, I understand what you are saying.

First you figure out what lifts you want to focus on, and what kind of progression(s) you want to use, and how often you want to lift. Then you can decide whether it's you're going to do a full body routine or not.

100% agreed.

...I'd do total body workouts, although the upper body work would probably just be maintenance. It's dependent on how you want to train particular lifts.

I promise I'm not trying to be an ass here, but I don't really understand the concept of training particular lifts for the increased capacity in a non-related sport, at least in a conversation like this one. I get using squats, ohp, deadlift, but when engaged with someone asking for complete help in something like this, do you (we collectively) think that they want to hear about those lifts? I think they are looking for the "secret weapon" of lifts, something that no one else does that will make them the best fighter in the world. I hope this makes sense...it does in my brain.

When I talk functional strength, I think of the big lifts. The routine part really hurts everything, because people, especially new ones, get stuck in doing the same thing week in and week out, limiting progression, or completely leaving something else out. Or even worse, they get to doing things they like, and nothing else (bench press or curls as an example).

I guess it all goes back to Tosa's sig. The simple answer would be read starting strength. I hope to have emulated that in this post.

This thread sucks. Someone posting questions then not taking any of the answers. Always awesome stuff.

I think the word "routine" makes the whole thing less functional. But, I understand what you are saying.

Functional.jpg

This becomes an issue of symantics. I call it routine because that's what it's typically called. There was a thread a while back where someone argued it should be called a "ritual", although I think that also implies the same lack of change as "routine", plus other associations the aren't so good. Lifting program might be better. But in this case I'm not particularly concerned with choice of words.

I promise I'm not trying to be an ass here, but I don't really understand the concept of training particular lifts for the increased capacity in a non-related sport, at least in a conversation like this one. I get using squats, ohp, deadlift, but when engaged with someone asking for complete help in something like this, do you (we collectively) think that they want to hear about those lifts? I think they are looking for the "secret weapon" of lifts, something that no one else does that will make them the best fighter in the world. I hope this makes sense...it does in my brain.

I referenced squat routines as examples of how the programming for a particular lift would affect the programming for the rest of a routine. Whether or not it would be appropriate for someone who's primary goal is unrelated to how much they can squat is a different matter. Although I could see a fighter who choosing to really focus on strength for a bit might make use of smolov or the russian squat routine. I could see how if the amount of time and energy someone can dedicate to lifting is limited due to other training, focusing on one or two particular strength goals at a time could be useful.

As to what people are looking for when they post, I can only speculate. I suspect that seeing montages in movies, as well as people selling gimmicks makes someone (idiots) inclined to think that there are "secret weapons".

I was wondering if you could help critique my form. Thanks!

I was wondering if you could help critique my form. Thanks!

Bosu balls are for noobs. See post #16 for functional training that will put hair on your peaches.

Back