Training days per week

gary555

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm almost 40 years old and take BJJ, 5 days per week and have been training 9 months but I don't roll every day as my body gets tired, knees hurt, shoulders etc. I'll roll hard 3 out of the 5 and just practice technique on the other 2 days. Lately the younger guys and the instructor has started busting my balls about coming down and not rolling. These guys are only 25 years old. I've been active my whole life and have always listened to my body when training. Should I just go tell them to kiss off??? as I know my body???

like u said, u know ur body. however maybe u can still condition yourself to roll more days a week. if u try doing this and ur still sore, then go back to doing what your doing. fuck em.

im 23 and i sit out when ever i need to if i am hurt no one gives me shit, there is no need to train hard if you are going to further an injury or anything

It's your body, listen to it. The kids in the class don't have to wake up with your aches/pains in the morning and take care of your family, go do your job...you get the idea.

As for the instructor: A good coach should be pushing you to improve not busting your chops. He should recognize there maybe a difference between your goals (and physical limits) compared to a bunch of young 20-somethings.

When you train, train hard (as you can), help the others (don't hinder their training) and keep working on your goals.

Damn, I'm 10 years younger and I feel the same. I think it's pretty normal in every academy that everyone gets their ball busted for something. 3/5 days really isn't bad. That's around most people's ratio's I imagine. I usually hit class 3-5 days a week depending on the week. The days I don't attend class I usually hit the weights or run in some capacity or another. Pesonally I like lifting better. Anyway, ignore them and concentrate on getting better.

40 and u train 5 days a week. That's great man. I only do kickboxing once a week. I'd love to do more but a thing called life gets in the way. 2 jobs, part time school, girlfriend. That's life.

5 days a week...4 days lifting..cardio alternating BJJ and MT and the fifth is all BJJ

i had an instructor that used to fuck with me b/c i was needing surgery on my shoulder, but i was just waiting to do it...

i would train half speed during that time...

he used to fuck with me about it...

me and another guy left b/c of that shit...

i'm now at a better school, and i can beat anyone at my former school...

Tell em to fuck off if their actually being dicks about it.

Or maybe they're jut joking around with you and your taking it a little hard. I know my team we joke around with eachother and all give each other hard times but it's out of good fun and we don't mean anything by it.

You definetely should tell them to ..ss off. They don't know how you feel, since they're not you.

gary555 said:
I'm almost 40 years old and take BJJ, 5 days per week and have been training 9 months but I don't roll every day as my body gets tired, knees hurt, shoulders etc. I'll roll hard 3 out of the 5 and just practice technique on the other 2 days. Lately the younger guys and the instructor has started busting my balls about coming down and not rolling. These guys are only 25 years old. I've been active my whole life and have always listened to my body when training. Should I just go tell them to kiss off??? as I know my body???

Gary, you answered your own question. Tell them to kiss off!

Work technique a few days a week, then those days that you roll, hurt those fucks.

Back