Training around a groin injury

DonBude

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi S&Cers,
I just re-injuried my groin while squatting after letting it rest for a month when i first pulled it. I've already seen a doctor afte the first time it happened and he just told me to let it rest for about 10 days. Well that didn't work out too well. So I'll probably not squat at all for this cycle and then start very light and work up again. Now my question: What do you guys think is the most productive way to train around it? Just do squat assistance on squat day? A second deadlift day (I'm doing 531, so I thought about doing 531 sets on one day and then BBB sets on the other day)? Dropping the squat day altogether? Other suggestions? Thanks for your help!

how serious is the groin injury?
I know when I had a groin injury I had to stop doing bjj for a while (a few months) because of the seriousness of it.
On the other hand, I pulled my groin a few years later (just a minor injury) and then I skipped squatting alltogether and substituted it with DL for around a month. Worked out great

btw, I did some physical therapy aswell.
just really light work to rehab the injury.
but I would recommend doing really light work and then put on a little more wieght over timer untill the groin feels better

how serious is the groin injury?
I know when I had a groin injury I had to stop doing bjj for a while (a few months) because of the seriousness of it.
On the other hand, I pulled my groin a few years later (just a minor injury) and then I skipped squatting alltogether and substituted it with DL for around a month. Worked out great

It's nothing serious, just a strained adductor. I'll probably do the same thing (substitute with DL) and then work up again after a month or so. Thanks!

just make sure not to put on too much weight too soon, other than that I think you should be fine. You could do some adductor or abductor excercises... can never remember which is which.
Anyway, good luck and godspeed

I've been experiencing some groin tightness lately which has gotten in the way of my squat progress. I've been stretching the hell out of my groin and it's been helping tremendously. Mainly focusing on the stretch where you go down into the bottom position of a squat and push your knees out with your elbows. Also, when lifting, be sure to thoroughly warm up with lighter weights before going heavy.

Back