Training Advice

jayson031

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a real quick background. Ive posted here before but not much. Basically up until about a month and a half ago I was playing semi pro baseball. This was going to be my last season as I decided I really wanted to get into MMA. Well the first game I ended up tearing some ligaments in my ankle and hyperextending my knee pretty bad. Its been about 6 weeks like i said but i still have some stiffnes and pain, especially in my knee. I had been working out for baseball and to also lose weight. I wanted to lose weight before I started training MMA a little bit. Since I cant really do any cardio right now because of my knee and I also cannot do anything like squats or deadlifts, what are some good excercises to keep me in shape and still help me lose weight and gain strength? Sorry its so long.

Can you do things like biking, rowing, swimming, or an elliptical?

I could definitely swim, i can do a stationary bike as well as like as its the sitting one not the conventional bike. i havent tried rowing or the elliptical.

I found when I hurt my back the exercises that helped me keep up with my fitness were body weight exercises, because I couldn't have any additional strain on my back and body weight exercises worked pretty good for me. Plus you work up a good sweat and you definitely get your heart going,

You can do seated versions of exercises, lying, and hanging.
Pullups, chinups, seated press, bench press, lying on stomach fly, and so on.

Thanks guys, also i will be joining a BJJ facility within the next month, any tips for a first timer? what should i do about my knee and ankle? Just neoprene braces and be careful?

Tell them about your injuries, the last thing you need is them cranking as hard as they can on your knees or ankles. You should be fine as long as they know not to touch your injuries... just go light and have fun.

Thanks again guys. Is there anything I can do at home that would prepare me a little for my first class? My some noob moves or something? Or is better to be taught the correct way to do things?

Back