Train with World Champ or 7th Degree

winman

White Belt
Reaction score
Would you rather train with a world champion in jiujitsu or a 7th degree BJJ black belt with 30 years of teaching?

I would pick the 7th Degree person with experience

Depends, but most likely I would agree with you.

World Champ, especially within recent years.

Jiu Jitsu has changed so much in the past twenty, even ten, years. With the internet, videos, instructionals--people keep inventing, adjusting, and evolving. The game is so much more complicated, so much more complex, than it used to be. Only the most active competitors are up to date. You argued for experience...well, name one black belt world champ that you wouldn't consider experienced.

Seventh degree assumes the black belt has been several decades out of competition, and probably means they came from a period in time with little to no competition. Unless they have actively kept up with every new technique (which is next to impossible), they won't have the passion or body to keep up.

That's not to say that it's not an amazing experience, I've gotten the opportunity several times and it was an invaluable experience. But given the choice I'd choose World Champ.

Seventh degree assumes the black belt has been several decades out of competition, and probably means they came from a period in time with little to no competition. Unless they have actively kept up with every new technique (which is next to impossible), they won't have the passion or body to keep up.

I completely agree with this. I guess the one thing better than both of these options is a 7th degree BB who has produced world champ black belts is the best.

it depends on who the black belts are and what kinds of higher lvl black belts the have helping

it depends on which black belt and which 7th degree.

There are a lot of 7th degrees that have world champions who train at their academies. If I recall correctly Jacare (Alliance) just picked up his 7th degree and I'm pretty sure I'd train at his academy before I trained at a lot of schools owned by world champions.

I agree with Gerbil. Everybody else in the thread is wrong. There is not an adequate amount of information to make an informed decision. The titles you are comparing do not necessarily correlate to which school is the best place to learn for you.

If that seventh degree is producing world champions at other belt levels and at black, and is an accomplished teacher will matter. There are some oldschool guys who are more into the self defense aspect and less into competition, and vice versa. Too many variables to be able to answer this question

World Champ, especially within recent years.

QUOTE]

Many of the Gracie have not competed in decadesand I would train with them over a world champ today.

Carlos Jr., Rickson, Ceaser Gracie, have not competed in over 20 years in BJJ competitions but I would train at their club over a world champ

Original Jacare, Andre "Dede" Pederneiras and Mauricao Gomes are legends and I would with the guy that taught Roger over Roger. I mena he taught him everything and knows his game to teach to other People

If Carlson Gracie alive he has not competed or even roll in 30 years but I would train with him

I think they have the knowledge that you can not just get. For example Rickson has seen Carlos Jr has seen 1000

i would personally choose to train with a quality 5 stripe whitebelt or a gatekeeper.

i don't need some super advanced blackbelt that's forgotten how confusing it is to try and switch from a triangle to an armbar. i need a coach that understands where my jiujitsu is NOW.

I agree with winman.

Just because you are a world champion doesn't guarantee that you are going to be a world class teacher.

I would choose Carlos jr. over his son Kayron for example.

Great choice to have none the less OP. You are fortunate. Good luck.

i would personally choose to train with a quality 5 stripe whitebelt or a gatekeeper.

i don't need some super advanced blackbelt that's forgotten how confusing it is to try and switch from a triangle to an armbar. i need a coach that understands where my jiujitsu is NOW.

What about a 7th degree white belt? :D

I would train with the school that produced the better competitors in recent years

I would train with the school that produced the better competitors in recent years

Probably the best answer. Jacare is responsible for many good guys so I would rather train with him than say Bernardo Faria.

There are also instructors who did compete in the past or do it occasionally such as Fabio Gurgell is also known as an excellent teacher. He seems to be able to refine good guys.

It also depends on the style of the instructors. Some types of games are not applicable to all people. Out of the recent worlds champions I would like to train with, it would probably be Cavaca or Roger. He doesn't have speed and explosiveness that many other worlds champions have, Cavacas flexibility is what I saw as his main inherited trait. Everything from them seems to be about technique to work out solutions to problems.

They both have a very calm style of jiu jitsu. I don't think I can emulate some of the explosive, fast guys.

GTFO of here. this is a nice, valid discussion. enough with that shit already

I agree with Gerbil. Everybody else in the thread is wrong. There is not an adequate amount of information to make an informed decision. The titles you are comparing do not necessarily correlate to which school is the best place to learn for you.

kind of hard to answer a "would you rather" question incorrectly.

Back