Train with World Champ or 7th Degree

I think this hypothetical situation is a good problem to have and that I'd attempt to do both if I could. This would assume that a world champion and a 7th degree black belt are in the same vicinity as I am. Not something we get too often in the midwest lol.

I wish I had to make a choice like this.

I don't remember who said it, but I remember someone saying something like this: "I would rather learn from a great teacher than a great fighter".

It depends what kind of fighters the 7th degree black belts has produced. If its like before mentioned Jacare its a no brainier.

Last edited:
I'd try both and see who I gelled with better. Fortunately, my new main instructor arrives in a few weeks and he is a world champion.

Competitor anyday of THE week. They train harder and Will Make you ready for THE highest level of competition

I would pick the one who is a better teacher and has produced better students.

It would depend on which one is closer to my house...

Luckily I have both. Cesar is not a 7th degree but has been around forever. Caio Terra knows all the latest greatest moves and is a world class competitor. I learn from both and I can't say who I learn more from. Over they years Cesar has taught me more, but in the last three years Caio has taken my game to a new level.

I know that I am fortunate...

@Cash Bill - that's a VERY fortunate situation.

I was thinking about it and it would have to be the person that was the better teacher - especially in the beginning and then later if you're a serious competitor it would be a training partner/teacher hybrid.

I was just thinking about MMA and a person like Shane Carwin who is a high level competitor in MMA but mostly because he's a physical freak. I'm not necessarily sure that for a beginner he would be a great coach, but at a certain level he could make a great training partner/teacher hybrid.

Back