traditonal Jujuitsu !?!?!?!

WALKERmma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
has anyone had any experience with this type of jujuitsu and when i say "traditonal" i dont mean just brazilian jiu-jitsu with a gi i mean the origonal jujuitsu which incorporates judo throws and more wrestling takedowns aswell as groundwork

Last edited:
If you mean japanese jiujitsu than it doesnt include wrestling takedowns or much groundwork, it's mostly stand up shit like wrist locks and stuff.

has anyone had any experience with this type of jujuitsu and when i say "traditonal" i dont mean just brazilian jiu-jitsu with a gi i mean the origonal jujuitsu which incorporates judo throws and more wrestling takedowns aswell as groundwork

in terms of grappling, it is vastly inferior to BJJ and Judo

I heard that Ari created his own Ju Jutsu art!

If you mean japanese jiujitsu than it doesnt include wrestling takedowns or much groundwork, it's mostly stand up shit like wrist locks and stuff.

its not japanese just a mix of bjj and judo from what ive heard but the instructor is an mma fighter so he incorperates takedowns from what i have heard

its not japanese just a mix of bjj and judo from what ive heard but the instructor is an mma fighter so he incorperates takedowns from what i have heard

Then he is teaching MMA!

To be honest, I do not like the fact that too many people are using the terminology Ju Jutsu and just to find out that the reason why they use such term is because it is just easy and can cover anything and nothing really.

Sport jujutsu isn't completely useless, fun art to compete in thou i reckon. half judo, half BJJ half point karate

Many sport jujutsu guys are also judo guys so they should have a solid understanding of throws

The SJJ guys i know from a sister-club many of them got BJJ bluebelts pretty quick

now the same club has some traditional JJ to, different set of people almost, we had a BJJ training and went on for longer then our timeslot but the TJJ guys were only 3 people so they let us, the did a halfassed warm up then they stood around talking through one judo throw, averaging maybe one throw every other minute, basically they do alotta kata and no sparring

I have the impression that there is a huge variety withing the schools teaching Sports-, Traditional- or Japanese jujitsu. Making blanket statements about "traditional jujitsu" seems much more difficult than to do the same about e.g. Judo or BJJ.

With that caveat, the guys I have seen (excluding those who crosstrains BJJ) have a very lacking ground game, relatively poor takedowns, and what appear to be striking mostly suited for point fighting.

As mentioned, the milage seems to vary a lot. YeahBee seems to have encountered a more Judo-focused school than I have.

I'd check out the coach's MMA record. If he's legit, I would think things would be good.

Then he is teaching MMA!

To be honest, I do not like the fact that too many people are using the terminology Ju Jutsu and just to find out that the reason why they use such term is because it is just easy and can cover anything and nothing really.
But this problem applies to the term "MMA" as well. It can cover everything and nothing, even if I would prefer that only gyms teaching fighting under an actual MMA ruleset to label themselves as such.

You're all over the place there. First of all, BJJ includes judo throws and wrestling takedowns as is. The amount you train those techniques will depend on the place you train (and unfortunately, often on the instructor's proficiency in them). Second, traditional jujitsu (not jiujitsu) does not incorporate wrestling takedowns, just judo, and from what I've seen, they don't emphasize those techniques much more than BJJ (again, depends on where you go). So either you got the description wrong, or you're describing something else.

In sum: If you're looking for what you're describing, go to BJJ or Judo. Or wrestling, if you want a sport without the submissions and different groundwork, but awesome takedowns, control, and conditioning.

But this problem applies to the term "MMA" as well. It can cover everything and nothing, even if I would prefer that only gyms teaching fighting under an actual MMA ruleset to label themselves as such.

There is a place near me that teaches Judo, Hapkido, and TKD, and claims they teach mixed martial arts.

Could you imagine kids walking around and saying that they train UFC instead of MMA?

There is a place near me that teaches Judo, Hapkido, and TKD, and claims they teach mixed martial arts.
Sounds familliar. We have a place with Boxing, Karate-Jitsu (which I must admit I have never heard about before) and Keysi Figthing Method. They also claim that they teach MMA, which I hope stands for "a mixture of martial arts" or possibly "a multitude of martial arts".

Could you imagine kids walking around and saying that they train UFC instead of MMA?
I'd rather not :)

Seriously, though, I didn't neccesarily mean that they should train for one specific organization's ruleset, only that they should train for the sport which MMA has become, and not just that they are mixing it up a little.

Btw, to TS: Have you been to the place yet? If not, I'd suggest actually taking a free class before posting any more. I doubt that many of us will be able to accurately assess the quality of an unnamed school with an unnamed instructor teaching a vaguely specified marital art anyway.

I guess it's mixed martial arts it still is a combination of martial arts, just not the mma we've come to know and love.

I guess it's mixed martial arts it still is a combination of martial arts, just not the mma we've come to know and love.

Of course. But calling it Mixed Martial Arts is obviously just a dishonest attempt to capitalize on what's popular nowadays, while not teaching anything that is commonly known as MMA, and lure in uneducated people.

My instructor used to do Traditional or "World" Ju Jitsu before he was introduced to BJJ.

He said the only thing he learned from the Traditional Ju Jitsu which he found useful in BJJ is that he knew how to tie his belt...

guys thanks for the replys
i have just got back from this and i couldnt be much more impressed i can hardly call it JJJ or traditonal jujutsu it was BJJ with double leg and single leg takedown variations

the place had 4 legit black belts (including instructer) and it was like made for mma (the instructer used to fight in a cage)

so thanks for the help and i will definatly be attending again

JJJ oddly enough barely exists at all in Japan. I live in Tokyo, and my friend lives in Osaka. He wanted to do JJJ, and we both tried to explain to our GFs what JJJ even is. They had never heard of it. They even thought it was a foreign word. In the end we couldn't find a dojo in Japan. Karate is still big, but JJJ seems to have almost dissapeared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back