toughest part about Jiu Jitsu...being a BEGINNER...

JH34PG

White Belt
Reaction score
damn its frustrating...ive been training about 2 months. and im actually good for a beginner...

i get the techniques down when practice...but when it comes to live rolling...i get owned usually..

i know everyones a beginner...but sucks getting your butt kicked

How do you know that the toughest part is being a beginner when you've been nothing but a beginner?

Doesn't matter if you've been training 2 months, 2 years, or 2 decades.

There will always be someone that will kick your butt and own you off the face of the earth. That never changes. It is these people that motivate you to be better than you were yesterday.

Don't worry it the more you are in that environment the easier it will become. Your brain is trying to adjust to bjj so give it some time. Eventually your mind gets use to all the techniques and you can visualize it more easily and actually apply it during rolling. Remember to drill drill drill and go to class! Also take notes and record the important details.

just be patient and use your basics. and when someone "kicks your butt" ask them how they did it and you can think about how to stop it next time.

It comes with time bro. Soon you'll get more new members that you can beat and you'll be happy. It equals out over time.

you just gotta accept your gonna get destroyed for thefirst coupleyears

Important lessons in being humbled and letting go of the ego. Bjj is a powerful martial art, and it should be character building as well, as power comes with responsibility. If it was easy and you mastered it quickly and didn't get owned, would you respect it and dedicate years to training in the art? I think battling the ego is a continual lesson in Bjj, you come in and get beaten badly, then your ego grows as you gain in proficiency and you have to curtail it, as there will always be those who can beat you. A better metric is not how you do vs others, but how much you personally improve, the lessons you learn which have "real life" applications, and how well you can teach it and share it with others to improve there lives.

Things will start "clicking " for you sooner or later when rolling. Those "eureka" moments have always been my favorite parts of training. In the mean time, the food chain in bjj goes on and on and on. There's always someone who can put a whupping on you, and there should be as that's or of the best ways to improve.

The hardest part is defeating EGO, and knowing that if you don't try new stuff, you will never improve. However in the process of trying things new, people are going to submit you and talk shit about you.

As a judoka coming to BJJ, i really had a bad guard game because i was always aggresive on the ground, and when in defensive positions i simply stalled.

When i played aggresive i was pretty much at the level of the top students and could win by points against the instructor, but then he told me i had to work on the game off my back.

Everyone passed my guard in 1 second, and then i was always down, i improved but lowly, i latter knew they said at my back that "Everyone rapes me", but i lol'd because in Judo i had learned to be humble and to always learn, im pretty sure these guys who said that would eventually hit a wall when they face stiffler competition, and occasionally i reverted to my aggresive top game and gave them a rough trip.

It is funny to me how our views of training change as we progress. Getting smashed sucks, but the worst part about being a white belt was feeling lost while rolling. It felt like my opponents always had the answers, like it was some inside joke and I was the punchline but after you get better, learn the positions, the transitions and the submissions it's not that bad...even when losing.

It even got to the point where I needed to lose, needed to be challenged and I moved clear across the world to find people to smash me again. It comes and goes in waves man, just grab the surf board and enjoy the ride.

I am not to good at BJJ either but I know that when i first started wrestling i had the technique and new the moves but my first tournament i went to i lost my matches all pins in the first round except for one in the second. Later, when i talked to my dad and coaches the both told me that i just had to be meaner. They said once u shake hands or bow or w/e u have to wanna kill ur opponent and give them the roughest 6 minutes of there lives. Next two tournaments i got 2nd and 3rd place.

typically I roll well against my teem mates and Tuesday our instructor decided to roll with everyone (he does not do this often) Man did I get my ass handed to me, I felt like a 3rd grader in a trigonometry class... LOST.I could do nothing to stop him and it felt like my first day grappling and it was so AWESOME. Like others have said ride the wave man it will get better for ya just keep training you can only move forward. The beatings you take now will make you a better jiujitsu player

You will get "owned" your entire bjj career. That is the beauty of bjj. Even black belts who we see as "gods of bjj" get beat on by other black belts.

I think people are right in that there will always be people around to beat you. But for a while you will be tapped for every 5 seconds. I think the TS was alluding to this time when you are just awful and lost and even the more experienced white belts rock your world.

At some point you will get to the point that it becomes much easier. I hardly ever get tapped anymore and everyone has to work to beat me. Sure there's a lot of guys better than me, but I'm now rounding out to being solid. Stick with it and you won't be getting tapped out all the time anymore and soon you will be beating guys. I actually find the whole BJJ experience pretty relaxing now, even when rolling. I'm getting to the point where I want to learn new moves just to keep it interesting. I'm actually getting kind of bored. That's a great feeling though. Also remember that it thins out considerably as you move up in belts. We've had probably a billion white belts walk through in the short time and you've made it two months, which is a lot longer than most of those cats. We have about 20 blues in our school and 1 purple and 2 browns. Purples/Browns guys are like amazing to all of us. There's probably only a handful on browns/blacks in your city. If you make blue you're doing better than 90% of guys who ever decide to walk into a BJJ gym. Think about that. Getting even pretty good (blue/purple) is a HUGE accomplishment in BJJ. All you have to do is continue to train and work hard to stick with it. Anyone can make higher belts regardless of their natural athletic ability.

Just don't turn into one of those guys whose little feelings get hurt and quit. We had a kid in tonight. I think it's his first week. Pretty good shape, brand new warrior shorts and rash guard. Was getting his butt tapped all over the mat by a kid with a blonde mohawk. It was obvious his ego was taking a real beating. I'm sure he will quit soon. Don't be that guy. Let the ego go and I'm sure you will start to enjoy it more..

Last edited:
Back