toughest part about Jiu Jitsu...being a BEGINNER...

Same goes for most martial arts, if not all. You may have a natural talent for it, but those with the techinque for it will walk all over you. Leave your ego at the door and enjoy the pain, just don't give it up easy.

"You may learn much more from a game you lose than from a game you win. You will have to lose hundreds of games before becoming a good player."

-- Jose Raul Capablanca, one of the greatest world champions of chess.

Dropping your ego at the door and get used to taping for a while. It sucks "loosing" but part of the process of becoming good at bjj.

damn its frustrating...ive been training about 2 months. and im actually good for a beginner...

Once you stop thinking about the bolded part, you'll progress much quicker.

It's like the statistic 72% of people think they are above average. Doesn't mean they are, just they think they are.

This.

But really, in the course of your training you will get tapped out more than you tap people out, and that's how you learn.

Consider the opposite. I train at a small school (which is an affiliate of a huge school), and I'm the highest ranked student there. There are lower ranked guys who are much much larger (I'm 145) can sometimes give me a run for my money, and one who can tap me out more than I tap him. But that's it really, and the fact is that I need to roll with someone much larger to get that challenge. Of course I roll with my instructor from time to time and he can whoop me, but that's different. I find that I need to challenge myself and seek out training partners at the main academy (very inconvenient) in order to find guys close to my size that can make me work and submit me.

So consider that it goes both ways. I'm in the opposite situation as you, TS, and it's equally frustrating.

The hardest part is defeating EGO, and knowing that if you don't try new stuff, you will never improve. However in the process of trying things new, people are going to submit you and talk shit about you.

As a judoka coming to BJJ, i really had a bad guard game because i was always aggresive on the ground, and when in defensive positions i simply stalled.

When i played aggresive i was pretty much at the level of the top students and could win by points against the instructor, but then he told me i had to work on the game off my back.

Everyone passed my guard in 1 second, and then i was always down, i improved but lowly, i latter knew they said at my back that "Everyone rapes me", but i lol'd because in Judo i had learned to be humble and to always learn, im pretty sure these guys who said that would eventually hit a wall when they face stiffler competition, and occasionally i reverted to my aggresive top game and gave them a rough trip.

Steve_Stifler_1.jpg

I got dominated like a rag doll for about 2 years before I started being able to consistently beat some people.

Now I am almost back in the same boat haha

deciding who goes first with drills.... I say 'you go first' and he says 'no you' and i say 'ok fine'..

I still get my ass kicked. It's all good, that's the nature of the beast. haha.

I am not to good at BJJ either but I know that when i first started wrestling i had the technique and new the moves but my first tournament i went to i lost my matches all pins in the first round except for one in the second. Later, when i talked to my dad and coaches the both told me that i just had to be meaner. They said once u shake hands or bow or w/e u have to wanna kill ur opponent and give them the roughest 6 minutes of there lives. Next two tournaments i got 2nd and 3rd place.

This is my biggest problem currently. I dont like hurting people at all and find myself being careful not to do anything that could hurt my opponent when rolling even though they do everything they can to put a hurting on me lol.

This is my biggest problem currently. I dont like hurting people at all and find myself being careful not to do anything that could hurt my opponent when rolling even though they do everything they can to put a hurting on me lol.

Agreed, I need to work no my agression level, especially while competing

Some days you're the hammer, some days you're the nail.

Everyone starts somewhere bro. One day someone new will walk on the mats then it's your turn to be on top. But you gotta put in the time.

Has BJJ gone on sale recently or something? Seems like every other post lately has been some one with < 6 months of experience whining about not being good.

toughest part is when youve been training for a really long time and you feel this pressure to meet people expectations :mad:

toughest part is when youve been training for a really long time and you feel this pressure to meet people expectations :mad:

I would agree with this more.
It seems like there is a world of pressure lifted when I roll with someone who outranks me. I know I am supposed to get beat, but I still try to give them hell.
What makes me nervous is rolling with someone who I outrank. I feel like I am expected to beat them. I don't want to let my instructor or other teammates down. I know this probably wouldn't be the case, we all lose from time to time to people who aren't better than us, and they probably wouldn't care as much as I think they would. It's just a nagging thought in the back of my head.:icon_neut

Back